Illuminated Glove Box on 2021 MY

Pronichkin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Artem
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Conv (totaled by a puma); 2021 GT Conv PP1
The 2021 MY order guide says that Illuminated glove box is no longer available. I just took a delivery of 2021 GT premium convertible and that's one hundred percent true. The glove box remains dark as hell. This is unfortunate, especially when driving at night. Illuminated glove box would remain one of the things I'll be missing from my 2019 GT.

I hardly believe Ford changed a lot electrically in 2021 comparing to previous years. Most likely, all the wiring and sockets remain in place. Maybe they just saved couple bucks on a lamp and a cord.

Can anyone confirm or disprove my suspicion? Any idea how one could make your own glove box "illuminated"? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Just like how in 2020 they changed the 6 way power passenger seat to 4 way, because...reasons I guess. I feel like they're trying to cost cut things they think people won't notice or care about, but I HATE when they go through this process near the end of a vehicle generation. They always do.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Iā€™m sorry but this does not need itā€™s own thread. Just silly. How much time do you spend in your glovebox?

You could retrofit if you really want to invest in this high performance upgrade. But if all you really need is a light hereā€™s your solution.

F75E0398-446D-4CA0-88D0-90324987D5CB.jpeg

šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£ Just bustinā€™ your chops. Congrats on the new car. šŸ‘šŸ‘

Last edited:

jimroth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Convertible 401A P8F Rapid Red
I am definitely going to see if the wiring and hole are still there. I bet they saved about fitty cent.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Just like how in 2020 they changed the 6 way power passenger seat to 4 way, because...reasons I guess. I feel like they're trying to cost cut things they think people won't notice or care about, but I HATE when they go through this process near the end of a vehicle generation. They always do.
Funny, I was helping a friend into my car yesterday and I was going to adjust the seat for her and I reached down the front of the seat looking for the metal bar to pull up on to move the seat up and it wasn't there. I didn't realize it was electric, which seemed like an upgrade over my 2013.

Perspective.

Sponsored

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
I didn't know that. Jeebus. Here is another one: going from Michelin PS4S to Pirellis. Have to say I'm glad I have a '19.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't know that. Jeebus. Here is another one: going from Michelin PS4S to Pirellis. Have to say I'm glad I have a '19.
That's like comparing apples to vaginas.

I hardly notice the passenger seat and 4-way vs 6-way is in no way comparable to the shitty tires they are now using.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
That's like comparing apples to vaginas.

I hardly notice the passenger seat and 4-way vs 6-way is in no way comparable to the shitty tires they are now using.
Boy, somebody needs another cup of coffee this morning. :giggle: Manufacturers make inline changes to their products constantly for many different reasons. Could be costs, could be materials, could be contractual agreements. Regardless they happen. Like it, don't like it, doesn't matter. Look at it this way at least the 21's still got four tires.

And we still do not know if the are the same shit tires that were used on the pre 19' cars. They might still be be P Zero's but the compounds might have changed.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boy, somebody needs another cup of coffee this morning. :giggle: Manufacturers make inline changes to their products constantly for many different reasons. Could be costs, could be materials, could be contractual agreements. Regardless they happen. Like it, don't like it, doesn't matter. Look at it this way at least the 21's still got four tires.

And we still do not know if the are the same shit tires that were used on the pre 19' cars. They might still be be P Zero's but the compounds might have changed.
Sorry! Didn't know there were fans of the P Zeros in any compound!

All I know is MY P Zeros suck.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Sorry! Didn't know there were fans of the P Zeros in any compound!
Yeah, they have a few fans out there.

An Original Equipment tire is a custom-made product developed for a specific car model, to ensure the perfect tire for every customer.
ALFA ROMEO
ASTON MARTIN
AUDI
BMW
BENTLEY
DALLARA
FERRARI
JAGUAR
LAMBORGHINI
LAND ROVER
MASERATI
MC LAREN
MERCEDES
PORSCHE
VOLVO

Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, they have a few fans out there.

An Original Equipment tire is a custom-made product developed for a specific car model, to ensure the perfect tire for every customer.
ALFA ROMEO
ASTON MARTIN
AUDI
BMW
BENTLEY
DALLARA
FERRARI
JAGUAR
LAMBORGHINI
LAND ROVER
MASERATI
MC LAREN
MERCEDES
PORSCHE
VOLVO
Too bad I drive a Ford though. I really doubt my crappy tires are some bespoke formula. Even if they are, they are still crappy tires.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I am not sure why are you surprised. Anyone buying a new car later in its lifecycle gets a cost reduced one. They take out what they can get away with not including.
Every corporation works this way.

(on a flipside - buying first year - you set yourself up for early issues).

OP
OP
Pronichkin

Pronichkin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Artem
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Conv (totaled by a puma); 2021 GT Conv PP1
folks, I understand why manufacturers do that. Heck, maybe I would do that myself if I were them! But being on the customer side this time, I know this little thing makes me sad. So, instead of venting out, I am just looking for a solution.

Sure, maybe a flashlight would do, but then why do we need lighting in the cabin at all? If everyone were caring their flashlights with them, you could save big on all lights, lol. So, it's not the point. I want it comfortable, and I want it more or less as good as it was in my '19 MY.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
folks, I understand why manufacturers do that. Heck, maybe I would do that myself if I were them! But being on the customer side this time, I know this little thing makes me sad. So, instead of venting out, I am just looking for a solution.

Sure, maybe a flashlight would do, but then why do we need lighting in the cabin at all? If everyone were caring their flashlights with them, you could save big on all lights, lol. So, it's not the point. I want it comfortable, and I want it more or less as good as it was in my '19 MY.
Just curious how much you miss it. Maybe you root around in there more than I do. All I have in there is a tire gauge and the window sticker.

You would need more than the light, you would need a switch too.