Glass Cleaner/Polish Recommendations?

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Can anyone out there recommend a good glass cleaner/polish to remove water spots and other contamination? I've tried using CG glass cleaner, but it seems to be more of a "surface" cleaner and it did not seem to lift out water spots. In the past, I have used Zaino Clear-View Polish (I have an ancient bottle of that in my garage, but not sure if it is any good anymore), but maybe there is something better these days.
Sponsored

BabyDoc1012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sierra, ‘21 Expedition, ‘22 Mach 1
I use invisible glass and it removes the water spots. Not a fan of the CG glass cleaner, it is too streaky to me.

Hostil

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I used quite a few glass cleaners. IMHO nothing has worked better for me than a 50:50 water and 91% Isopropyl Alcohol and microfiber towel on glass only.

Sponsored

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
+ invisible glass, plus its best for tints too I read somewhere.
Amazon

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
If a glass cleaner is not removing water spots, then you will need the assistance of a water-spot remover (CarPro Spotless for example) or 50/50 white vinegar and water. If that fails, then you will need to polish them out.

CARPRO Spotless 2.0 Water Spot Remover 1 Liter (34oz) *New* - Sky's The Limit Car Care (carpro-us.com)

I have used Autoglym Glass Polish a few times, I don't feel that it has enough grunt to remove water spots, its more of a "jewelling" product.

You can either use a heavy cutting compound like Sonax Cutmax or Meguiars M105/M110, otherwise head into a dedicated glass polish like CarPro CeriGlass. You can be quite aggressive with pad/compound choices with glass as it's far harder to correct than paint. Keep in mind though, scratches in glass are virtually impossible to remove, but water spotting and general grottiness can be.

CARPRO CeriGlass Polish 150ml (5oz) - Sky's The Limit Car Care (carpro-us.com)
CARPRO CeriGlass Polish Kit (150ml) - Sky's The Limit Car Care (carpro-us.com)

For glass cleaning from then onwards, it's hard to go past Invisible Glass, but Gyeon Q2 Glass and P&S True Vue are impressive also. All three are alcohol based and therefore tint safe.

Premium Window & Glass Cleaner 22 oz. Spray Bottle (invisibleglass.com)
Gyeon Q2M Glass | Car Supplies Warehouse
P&S Detail Products - True Vue Glass Cleaner - RTU | The Rag Company

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
If a glass cleaner is not removing water spots, then you will need the assistance of a water-spot remover (CarPro Spotless for example) or 50/50 white vinegar and water.
I assume 50% vinegar is NOT as good as specialty products or those other products wouldn't exist.

How are they better and by how much? Are specialty products just faster, less effort or better in other ways?

OP
OP
ay1820

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Thanks for the tips. I may give Autoglym a try. The stains are not too bad and I would like to start with something less aggressive.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I assume 50% vinegar is NOT as good as specialty products or those other products wouldn't exist.

How are they better and by how much? Are specialty products just faster, less effort or better in other ways?
I think the pics below best describe what side of the fence I sit on regarding that! :giggle:

I put a lot of thought into my detailing responses. I'm privileged that I can splurge on any detailing product I like. I also understand not everyone can spare or justify $25 on a small bottle of water-spot remover. That's why I tend to offer options that suit everyone's individual situation rather than "this is the product you MUST buy".

In terms of why would someone choose a specialty product over a home made one, convivence plays a big factory here. I want a product I can buy and use that does its job well without stuffing around with mixing and bottling. CarPro for example will have spent countless hours and dollars tailoring each product to do what it says on the label and I in no way doubt that ability. So, convivence and better results form my choices.

IMG-1517.jpg

IMG-1725.jpg

Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
Can anyone out there recommend a good glass cleaner/polish to remove water spots and other contamination? I've tried using CG glass cleaner, but it seems to be more of a "surface" cleaner and it did not seem to lift out water spots. In the past, I have used Zaino Clear-View Polish (I have an ancient bottle of that in my garage, but not sure if it is any good anymore), but maybe there is something better these days.
If you want to polish your glass, use a glass polishing compound and a DA variable speed buffer. Then put a glass sealer on it. Good Luck
Screenshot_20220520-050029.png

FKE SNK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350, 93 Cobra clone
I think the pics below best describe what side of the fence I sit on regarding that! :giggle:

I put a lot of thought into my detailing responses. I'm privileged that I can splurge on any detailing product I like. I also understand not everyone can spare or justify $25 on a small bottle of water-spot remover. That's why I tend to offer options that suit everyone's individual situation rather than "this is the product you MUST buy".

In terms of why would someone choose a specialty product over a home made one, convivence plays a big factory here. I want a product I can buy and use that does its job well without stuffing around with mixing and bottling. CarPro for example will have spent countless hours and dollars tailoring each product to do what it says on the label and I in no way doubt that ability. So, convivence and better results form my choices.

IMG-1517.jpg

IMG-1725.jpg
Love this. I've got a similar cabinet and 99% of people just don't understand why anyone would have something like it.

Unfair question and potential hi-jack:
Out of all the products in here, what is your favorite one and why?

I recently got on the GSF train and now I use it on everything - from cars to patio furniture and windows.

OP
OP
ay1820

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Thanks for the tips. I may give Autoglym a try. The stains are not too bad and I would like to start with something less aggressive.
So I decided to give that old bottle of Zaino glass polish I had lying around a try and it seems to have done a pretty good job at cleaning off whatever residue was on my windshield. It is hard to say for sure if I got it all as it really was most evident when driving into the sun. I'll have to wait until my next morning commute to see how well it did.

Thanks again for all the tips!

Last edited:

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Invisible glass and buffed with a magic eraser will remove everything.
Sponsored