Gibson exhaust

17gt07

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
87 Grand Marquis, 02 gt, 07 gt, 17 gt
Hey guys, I don’t post much on here but I had a question. A month or so ago I was about to walk into a store when I heard a mustang cruising by. I’ve been an sn95 guy for years, I heard that familiar sound so I turned around and looked for one but it was actually an s550. Since I love the way those cars sound I’ve been looking all over for that sound. Closest I’ve been able to find is the Gibson catback. Anyone have it and what do you think?

Also does anyone have a borla resonator with muffler deletes? I have a Bassani catback right now and love the sound but I want to try something different.
Sponsored

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
. Anyone have it and what do you think?
I’ve got the Gibson. About 2.5 years. The sound is of its own and nothing like a fiber packed system. There’s the typical 2k drone and yes it ruins handsfree conversation.
The fitment is a bit crude around the Diff. I ended up modding a few things to get it tucked up tight.
For the price it can’t be beat. If I had to do it again I’d go CORSA.

OP
OP

17gt07

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
That’s what I was afraid of, it’s sort of like flowmasters. Maybe a small set of resonators could cut down the drone. Funny you say corsa, I was looking at the street cat backs before this but damn they’re expensive.

onlyturbo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6spd, 2016 Audi S4 (Sold)., 2009 Subaru STI (Sold), 2003 SAAB Aero (Sold)
I too had the Gibson cat back, the best sounding low tone muscle car sound imho. I LOVED it, very deep sound, like a big block. I remember one day my wife and I went to the super market. She waited in the car, it was cold so I left the car running idle. When I got out of the store, I heard this deep low V8 tone sound. I was looking around to see which car was it, when I got closer to my car I realized it was my Mustang making this deep sound. I was pleasently surprised! The car was parked really far from the store but the moment I stepped out through the doors I heard it...

But at the end I replaced it with a Borla sport cat back, due to the described drawn at around 1.6krpm. I had the 3.73 gears on that car being a PP. The Borla was nice, but not even close to the deep sound of the Gibson. In both cases I had an x pipe BTW.

I sold that car and bought a used 2015 with a stage two Whipple, this car has the Borla Sport cat back with stock cats. Sounds nice but I miss the low tone Gibson sound for sure.

I still have the Gibson cat back in my basement for cheap if anyone is interested...

OP
OP

17gt07

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
I might take you up on that, I too have a performance pack gt with 3.73s so that would be my only concern.

Sponsored

onlyturbo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6spd, 2016 Audi S4 (Sold)., 2009 Subaru STI (Sold), 2003 SAAB Aero (Sold)
This is the closest video to the real sound of the Gibson I could find,

The drone is mostly while cruising in 6th gear, so if you do a lot of highway cruising at low speeds of 60mph, it could be annoying after a while. Above 65 it is gone.

OP
OP

17gt07

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Sounds good, no rasp or trumpeting from what I can tell.

SAY WHAT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang Gt
I had a gibson as well, it was great for the price but several 6hr road trips later it was time to let it go. I ended up getting a corsa extreme, loud when you want and quiet when you cruise on the highway.

onlyturbo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rony
Vehicle(s)
From what I read Corsa is one of the best it seems, but so much $$$$$, forget about it...

OP
OP

17gt07

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
I met a guy the other day that had a full corsa exhaust with xtreme mufflers. It sounded fantastic but yeah they’re so expensive. Decisions, decisions...

Sponsored
OP
OP

17gt07

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
I forgot to add that it seems like the Gibson exhaust sounds like flowmasters. I like that sound on a 2v but not these cars.

texaswrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP MAGNETIC
Running the Gibson for three years now. PP car, 2015, 3.73 gears. Same issue, under 2k rpms, drone. I drive around it sometimes staying in 5th gear. Search for the the thread Gibson Drone Solution. I have the vibrant resonators, just have not installed them yet.

OP
OP

17gt07

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the suggestion. It sounds stupid but I’m going to swap back to the stock resonator for now with my muffler deletes and start fresh.
Sponsored