wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
I have USAA Roadside Assist. Similar to AAA. Worthless when you are in the middle of the desert surrounded by mountain lions and the cartels.
not gonna lie, I have been very happy with USAA...until I needed roadside.

I called them at 4pm Sunday...and got a callback at 4pm Monday, asking if I still needed a tow 🤦🏽‍♂️
Sponsored

Sabre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2023 Mach 1 with Handling Package
I know I've pushed my luck for many years by not having a roadside non repairable tire failure...so I plan to get one of the spare combinations to use for this summer's travel. I worry about not only sitting roadside for hours, waiting for a flatbed to show up, but then to have one show up that doesn't have the correct equipment to winch my PP LEVEL 2 onto the flatbed without tearing up my lowered front end and splitter. A spare and jack combination could be a lot cheaper alternative to tearing up the front end facia and splitter.

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I have USAA Roadside Assist. Similar to AAA. Worthless when you are in the middle of the desert surrounded by mountain lions and the cartels. And it is ALWAYS my rear passenger tire that blows. Am on my 5th set of rears and only my 3rd set of fronts.

I was thinking of buying a 19 inch rim and slapping a tire on it, hoping to call it good as a spare. It beats a donut and it beats the slime pump in the trunk. Any thoughts?
With a PP1, you need to get enough clearance for your Brembos that not every rim/tire combo will provide. There have been some successful attempts here by other users to make up a cheap combo, as yes, Automotive Authority kit is pricey, but I wasn't about to risk getting something that will scrape my brakes or I'll have to mill to make fit.
Clearance is TIGHT on the Brembos as is with the rims and I wasn't gonna mess with it.

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
Since this is a Mach 1 thread, as far as winching the car onto a flat bed regardless of the reason, the front bumper on the right side has a small access door to enable installation of the Ford tow hook as shown in the owners/supplemental manual.

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis# M1869, Iconic Silver
Since this is a Mach 1 thread, as far as winching the car onto a flat bed regardless of the reason, the front bumper on the right side has a small access door to enable installation of the Ford tow hook as shown in the owners/supplemental manual.
This has been mentioned in other threads, including that the manual makes it appear the tow hook is supplied but none of us had one in the car when it was delivered. Some dealers coughed one up. Most of the rest of us have had to get them aftermarket or order from Ford ourselves.

Sponsored

OP
OP
hbash

hbash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I wonder why that hook wasn’t included and how much does it cost?

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
I was thinking of buying a 19 inch rim and slapping a tire on it, hoping to call it good as a spare. It beats a donut and it beats the slime pump in the trunk. Any thoughts?
Having a full size spare is never a bad idea for long road trips. You never know when you'll get a flat but it usually happens at the most inconvenient time and/or location, like 100 miles from the nearest tire shop at midnight!

There's plenty of 19" rims around that will clear the brembo's, the trick will be finding one cheap enough to make it a more cost effective option than the AA kit. A full size spare is not going to fit fully inside the spare well, so you will lose some cargo space in the trunk, which can be a problem on long trips since you'll undoubtedly have luggage to stow in there also. Doing a real quick search for buying everything new, the cheapest rim I found was $200, tire $130, then by the time you add shipping, mounting, and jack you may only save $50 over the AA kit which fits completely inside the spare well. I'm not saying it can't be done cheaper, used rims are available much cheaper than new, especially factory take offs when someone buys a new aftermarket set, but it's not always easy to find just 1 for sale. It all depends how much time and effort you want to put into sourcing low priced items. If you happen to have a U-pick-n-pull salvage yard nearby that would be a good place to start. I found an unused jack, wrench, and spare in a Crown Vic trunk at one of those yards to use in my 2011 Mustang (prompted by a blowout unserviceable by the pump/goo kit), total cost $45 and a few hours of my time.

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
This has been mentioned in other threads, including that the manual makes it appear the tow hook is supplied but none of us had one in the car when it was delivered. Some dealers coughed one up. Most of the rest of us have had to get them aftermarket or order from Ford ourselves.
I was in the same boat, no hook, ordered it from the dealer but when it came in the salesman charged it to the car. Admittedly it wasn't the first car I bought from him.

Sponsored

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis# M1869, Iconic Silver
I was in the same boat, no hook, ordered it from the dealer but when it came in the salesman charged it to the car. Admittedly it wasn't the first car I bought from him.
I'm still waiting for my dealer to send mine.... Got tired of waiting and bought my own.

stageron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2559, Lexus NX300
Is one better than the other? Modern vs AA?
I went with the Automotive Authority kit. Yes it was pricey but It fits in the wheel well, fits over the Brembos, keeps the same ride height so no codes thrown and the spacers are part of the wheel so no need to mess with them. $499, free shipping no tax. At least now if I get a flat I can get home or to a shop without waiting hours for a tow. Well worth it for the peace of mind.

OP
OP
hbash

hbash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I went with the Automotive Authority kit. Yes it was pricey but It fits in the wheel well, fits over the Brembos, keeps the same ride height so no codes thrown and the spacers are part of the wheel so no need to mess with them. $499, free shipping no tax. At least now if I get a flat I can get home or to a shop without waiting hours for a tow. Well worth it for the peace of mind.
Can you supply URL?
Thanks.