Sponsored

General G-Max AS-05

Lucky13Cat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 Purple
For anyone looking for all seasons, I wanted to put out there how happy I am with my recent buy of the general g-max AS-05 in 275/40R19. This tire seems to be a steal from tirerack. It is projected to be 1 or 2 in ultra high performance. I've only had them on a few days but love the look and great hooking up at low temps. These are my first all seasons on the car ever after PZeros and 3 years of Pilot Super Sports. The ride difference is incredible. All the harshness of the MPSS's is gone. I love the ride of the car now. I have koni yellow on full soft but it was very harsh before. MPG is now showing 21.5 instead of 18.5. I was looking at michelin pilot A/S 3+ but didn't believe the treadwear rating based on some reviews and my wife's minivan michelins wear. I also considered the BF goodrich which was a close decision. Probably would have been happy with those also. Good luck with your tire decisions!:cheers:
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
@Lucky13Cat

I just came across the General G-Max AS-05 online and came across your thread while searching this site...

Any updates about tread wear, noise or grip in bad weather?

The tire has peaked my interest, because according to the General Tire warranty, these come with a 50k tread wear warranty, which is usually unheard of in high performance tires... (all season or summer)

Last edited:

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
@Lucky13Cat

I just came across the General G-Max AS-05 online and came across your thread while searching this site...

Any updates about tread wear, noise or grip in bad weather?

The tire has peaked my interest, because according to the General Tire warranty, these come with a 50k tread wear warranty, which is usually unheard of in high performance tires... (all season or summer)
I can't speak to miles...

I put 19x10 SVE S350 wheels on my '17 with BFG Comp A/S 275/40/19. Put @ 30K daily-driver, year round miles on them. Some snow, plenty of wet - they did great. I transferred those wheels and tires to my '19 GT when I bought it a couple of months ago. The BFG's had some inner tire wear (no lowering or suspension mods on the '17) and the wear was not excessive...and they are only 40K mile tires.

I had recently replaced the stock 18" tires (newish Goodyear Eagles that were on the car when we bought it) on my wife's '17 EB Premium ragtop with the General G-Max. She IMMEDIATELY commented on how much better it drove and how much quieter it was at speed. Again - year round daily driver. (We've got a F150 for really bad weather).

I snagged a very good deal on a set in 275/40/19 for my '19. I literally CANNOT believe how much quieter they are at speed than the BFG tires. I'm NOT someone who is very sensitive to Noise, Vibration etc..it's a Mustang not a Lexus. But the difference is literally unreal.

They handle just as good as the BFG tires. I don't really judge them on traction at high RPM but they handle their own during spirited driving. Came home the other day in heavy rain from work. Zero issues. In fact they handled lane transition a bit better than the BFG's on the interstate in the wet - but again - the BFG's had a good chunk of miles on them.

HTH

Phatpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I can't speak to miles either, but I swapped the G-max on a week after getting my 19 PP1. The MPS4s were way bad in the cold, so I had to do something. I was able to get the 275/40/19 off Amazon for a lot cheaper than Discount tire, btw. The Generals do a great job where the MPS4s fall short in the cold. They hook up great and are pretty predictable in the rain. I plan on running these through the winter and swapping back to the Michelin rubber in the spring. We don't get a lot of snow here, so they fit the bill.

S7N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 KIA STINGER GT1 AWD
I had these on my first Mustang and they were great and will be putting them on this one when it's time. I also just purchased these for my wife's car last week and had Discount Tire put them on. It's a really great tire for the price.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can't speak to miles...

I put 19x10 SVE S350 wheels on my '17 with BFG Comp A/S 275/40/19. Put @ 30K daily-driver, year round miles on them. Some snow, plenty of wet - they did great. I transferred those wheels and tires to my '19 GT when I bought it a couple of months ago. The BFG's had some inner tire wear (no lowering or suspension mods on the '17) and the wear was not excessive...and they are only 40K mile tires.

I had recently replaced the stock 18" tires (newish Goodyear Eagles that were on the car when we bought it) on my wife's '17 EB Premium ragtop with the General G-Max. She IMMEDIATELY commented on how much better it drove and how much quieter it was at speed. Again - year round daily driver. (We've got a F150 for really bad weather).

I snagged a very good deal on a set in 275/40/19 for my '19. I literally CANNOT believe how much quieter they are at speed than the BFG tires. I'm NOT someone who is very sensitive to Noise, Vibration etc..it's a Mustang not a Lexus. But the difference is literally unreal.

They handle just as good as the BFG tires. I don't really judge them on traction at high RPM but they handle their own during spirited driving. Came home the other day in heavy rain from work. Zero issues. In fact they handled lane transition a bit better than the BFG's on the interstate in the wet - but again - the BFG's had a good chunk of miles on them.

HTH

Thanks for the detailed reply!

There was a thread on here about 2yrs or so ago with folks raving about the BFG’s... So I also had put the BFG Comp A/S on my prior 2016 S550. Initially they were quiet, but within 1k miles, they were quite noisy, almost like as if i were constantly driving on a graded road surface. Actually, the tire noise really almost sounded like a bad wheel bearing, but was the tires... I will never purchase another set of those, that’s for sure, so I share your sentiments!!

I also found this link tonight which has a very detailed write up about the General G-MAX AS-05’s for anyone interested in reading:
https://www.prioritytire.com/blog/general-gmax-as05-review/

My 2018’s original set of PZeros now has over 32k on them... not bald but they’re closing in on the tread wear bars... LOL.

Still shopping the GMAX’s ... seem to be the best bang for the buck, without going broke over a set of All Season Performance tires.

OP
OP
Lucky13Cat

Lucky13Cat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 Purple
I’ve had the General’s on now 13 months and wear seems very good considering all the hammering in first and second gear (3.73’s) I do. They hook very well in all temps. Cornering is great now that they are properly inflated. Installer had them 7 psi low! I don’t see how spending more on the A/S 3+’s could hook or corner any better but I haven’t had those.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve had the General’s on now 13 months and wear seems very good considering all the hammering in first and second gear (3.73’s) I do. They hook very well in all temps. Cornering is great now that they are properly inflated. Installer had them 7 psi low! I don’t see how spending more on the A/S 3+’s could hook or corner any better but I haven’t had those.

Great - thanks for the reply and your experience with them! Started shopping for best deal on them...

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Not on my mustang but I've used these tires on several DD cars now and always been happy with them. They live up to their treadlife warranty too.

Sponsored

Blue_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Blue
Vehicle(s)
2017 Electric Blue GT
Great - thanks for the reply and your experience with them! Started shopping for best deal on them...
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a full set of the AS-05s, but I figured I'd check with you first to see if you ended up buying them and, if so, how you feel about them now?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a full set of the AS-05s, but I figured I'd check with you first to see if you ended up buying them and, if so, how you feel about them now?
No, have not purchased a set yet due to COVID19; car has essentially been in hiatus status since March 2020. The original P-Zeros are still on my car with almost 39k on them...

I will definitely get a set of the G-Max AS-05’s based on the positive responses of actual owners of the tire in this thread.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Underrated tire IMO. I put some on my F150 which I drive almost as hard as my Mustang. Infinitely better than the all-season Pirellis that come OEM on a variety of vehicles.

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I've looked at a lot of user reviews of the AS-05, and the only complaint I see coming up sometimes is that the tires "flat spot" overnight, leading to a rough ride for a couple miles when driving the next day. Has anyone noticed this?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I've looked at a lot of user reviews of the AS-05, and the only complaint I see coming up sometimes is that the tires "flat spot" overnight, leading to a rough ride for a couple miles when driving the next day. Has anyone noticed this?
it's not cold enough yet for that to manifest itself. My Conti A/S do that too. Problem is gone in a couple hundred meters at worst.
Sponsored