Gen 3 block swapping a Gen 2

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Both can make a thousand plus on stock internals. Fastest S550's on the planet are still 15-17's with the 6R80. Myself I love the gen2 coyotes. Why ? Sleeved. Gen3 Plasma bores you can't even rehone it without destroying the lining. You can't use anything related to gen 3 cams/cam timing onto a gen2. Personally I'd do the gen 2. Get some 13:1 pistons w/ a good set of rods, you're golden.
Why can't you? From my understanding it bolts on fine, is it an ECU issue? And those 11mm studs on the g2 are weaksauce lol
Sponsored

bauern

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
F150 Powerboost
MMR rockers are half-assed ?
I’m learning, so could you explain this.
They require maching to clear the nose of the cam because the geometry of the Voodoo valvetrain is different from the Coyote.
1620596818517.png

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Why can't you? From my understanding it bolts on fine, is it an ECU issue? And those 11mm studs on the g2 are weaksauce lol
Midlocks. Weak sauce ? Haha ok.. only a problem when you making stupid boost.. like closing in on 30 psi type of boost. Cheers bud.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
They require maching to clear the nose of the cam because the geometry of the Voodoo valvetrain is different from the Coyote.
Honestly, that looks like a legit modification that doesn’t appear to compromise the integrity.

I wouldn’t hesitate using those to fit the GT350 heads.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Christang.GT

Christang.GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cristian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT premium pp, FBO CJ/Cams combo, E85
So what exactly are you guys saying? I am not going crazy horsepower numbers maybe 600 max all motor, would the GT350 heads fit or not? I am looking and I can’t find a kit anywhere, would I need GT350 heads with 5.0 valves retainers lifters etc? The budget isn’t anything out of reach as I have been finding some not terribly expensive, if you can boost a car to 1000 whp then this build isn’t much more than that.

OP
OP
Christang.GT

Christang.GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cristian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT premium pp, FBO CJ/Cams combo, E85
*UPDATE*
I have found GT350 heads for a decent price and would really be interested in slapping them on but they are NOT ported. Does anyone know any good porting companies and or someone who can? Brett barber? Also to save some money I am looking and slightly boring out the Gen 2 to a true 5.0 with some 13:1 pistons now but does anyone know where to find a good set of 13:1 pistons?

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Last edited:

Nickel

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Handling Package TR3160 w/Recaros
8500 on a coyote?! Please do show!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Hello all,
I am FBO cammed/CJ combo on my gen 2 but I am up there in mileage now and I was wanting to replace the rings and refresh the motor because I love my NA 8500 rpm build but then a buddy suggested to just Gen 3 swap the block. So I have been wondering has anyone done this? I would want to keep my existing Gen 2 heads and have them ported to get the max out of the NA build, so I wonder do the Gen 2 heads even fit a Gen 3 block? If so is it just a “drop in”? Anyone have any info on this? If so please respond, selling or trading my Gen 2 is out of the question, I have fallen in love with it and it has other upgrades that make it MINE so no one tell me to trade it please.
@Christang.GT

Not sure if you ever saw this thread I had posted a little while ago, but it discusses the rebuilding of a Coyote and parts upgrade variances between years. It may have some information you're seeking, good luck with the build!

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/coyote-generations-tech-article.155301/

Also be sure to check out the sticky at the very top of this forum with the Technical Reference info for the Coyote from 2015-current; those may help you too.
Sponsored