Gen 1 engine

Kav1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I’m the original owner on a 2018 GT350R. It has been babied since new with over maintence at the dealer. I barely drive it and have it for sale but may end up keeping it.

It currently has 4,900 miles and doesn’t seem to burn a drop of oil though had to be 100% certain.

I’ve got the Ford ESP warranty for 8 years.

Given the known changes and improvements on the Gen2 engine, how hard would you monitor and/or advocate to get a Gen2 if it were a possibility. I do also get nervous about the technicians taring apart the engine bay.
Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
I’m the original owner on a 2018 GT350R. It has been babied since new with over maintence at the dealer. I barely drive it and have it for sale but may end up keeping it.

It currently has 4,900 miles and doesn’t seem to burn a drop of oil though had to be 100% certain.

I’ve got the Ford ESP warranty for 8 years.

Given the known changes and improvements on the Gen2 engine, how hard would you monitor and/or advocate to get a Gen2 if it were a possibility. I do also get nervous about the technicians taring apart the engine bay.
The only real way to know if you have an issue is to do an oil consumption test. Especially having the ESP, Unless you suspect you’re burning 1 quart per 500 miles I wouldn’t sweat it. Just drive it and know you’ll likely lose a drop here or there due to the nature of the engine.

OP
OP

Kav1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Thanks.
If you could get it replaced pre-emptively would you?

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Thanks.
If you could get it replaced pre-emptively would you?
I lost my gen 2 engine in my 2019, and I have friends who have similarly lost gen 1 and gen 2 engines. My point being, I think you’re going to see failures no matter what. If your engine has been reliable thus far and doesn’t burn a ton of oil, I wouldn’t change a thing.

Now, if you’re getting close to the end of your warranty and the oil consumption continually climbs between now and then, then yes I’d attempt to get it swapped under warranty. By and large, I think dealerships hands are tied by ford’s requirements for a replacement engine. If you pass an oil consumption test, chances are low they’d replace the engine (barring other serious issues.)

Just my $.02

Sponsored

OP
OP

Kav1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I lost my gen 2 engine in my 2019, and I have friends who have similarly lost gen 1 and gen 2 engines. My point being, I think you’re going to see failures no matter what. If your engine has been reliable thus far and doesn’t burn a ton of oil, I wouldn’t change a thing.

Now, if you’re getting close to the end of your warranty and the oil consumption continually climbs between now and then, then yes I’d attempt to get it swapped under warranty. By and large, I think dealerships hands are tied by ford’s requirements for a replacement engine. If you pass an oil consumption test, chances are low they’d replace the engine (barring other serious issues.)

Just my $.02
Thanks.

Really great advice.

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
The only real way to know if you have an issue is to do an oil consumption test. Especially having the ESP, Unless you suspect you’re burning 1 quart per 500 miles I wouldn’t sweat it. Just drive it and know you’ll likely lose a drop here or there due to the nature of the engine.
1 quart per 500 miles called the perpetual oil change. Whomever needs to put this much oil in their car definitely has cleaner oil than everyone else.

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
Sorry to say this, but this is one of the most ridiculous questions that I can recall on this forum.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Sorry to say this, but this is one of the most ridiculous questions that I can recall on this forum.
The guy is just overprotective of his car. He's coming from the mindset that the car has to be perfect and he is worried his motor might not last the next 10 years (aka 10k miles).

IMO the owner can't even know if his engine is burning oil with how few miles he has put on it. Less than 5k miles in 5 years? It's basically a garage-kept show car. I would be far more worried the car isn't getting driven hard enough. I hope when he does drive it he lets it get to temp and rev it out a bit. If the car is only getting driven a small amount at a time and not hard then the engine will suffer a lot more damage.

This is more common with corvette owners. Compilations of forum screenshots have started popping up on my tiktok and the owners and posts are hilarious.

Also OP, touching on my point about driving it too gently. If you do drive it only short amounts of time and never rev it out, please tell the next owner. The next owner will want to break it in slowly if they plan on driving it hard.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Kav1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Thanks for the comments guys. I’m glad the question was entertaining for some of you.

I have tracked and used this car well in the past but now it is in rotation with other cars and a dedicated track car so it has become a rarely driven car. I have played with selling it and it is still for sale but I do love it still - I just don’t drive it enough but when I do I don’t drive it gently - what’s the point.

You’ve hit the nail on the head. With a car that sees very few miles it is hard to know the state of any oil consumption. I plan to drive it a bit more but realistically I was just getting some thoughts. It has been a few years since I’ve been active on this forum. I was curious if the concerns about gen 1 engines had changed. And yes, I’m overprotective of all my cars. It is a curse.

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
Sell the car. If you keep it and drive it with the worry of what state the motor is in, it will take all the fun out of owning it.

Alternatively, you can lay out the cash and buy a GEN 2 motor and keep it on the shelf. You’ll never lose money on it if you hang onto it for a few years

For what it’s worth, I own a 2017 with 22,300 miles. My extended warranty ends October 2024. My theory is if my motor hasn’t failed yet I’m good to go. If it fails after my warranty is over, it is what it is.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Thanks for the comments guys. I’m glad the question was entertaining for some of you.

I have tracked and used this car well in the past but now it is in rotation with other cars and a dedicated track car so it has become a rarely driven car. I have played with selling it and it is still for sale but I do love it still - I just don’t drive it enough but when I do I don’t drive it gently - what’s the point.

You’ve hit the nail on the head. With a car that sees very few miles it is hard to know the state of any oil consumption. I plan to drive it a bit more but realistically I was just getting some thoughts. It has been a few years since I’ve been active on this forum. I was curious if the concerns about gen 1 engines had changed. And yes, I’m overprotective of all my cars. It is a curse.
At least you are the owner that enjoys their cars!

But there is not much info on the differences between gen1 vs gen2 voodoo. Honestly, I don't even know if there are any. From what I know supposedly Ford tweaked the voodoo engine a bit to help with reliability and oil consumption but I haven't seen any info on what was actually tweaked.

I see part # changes for voodoo shortblocks from 15-17, 17-19, and 19+. No idea what and there could be different things they tweaked as they made general mustang changes on those years.

I would continue to drive the car if you want or sell it, at this point I don't think there is much to worry about.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
At least you are the owner that enjoys their cars!

But there is not much info on the differences between gen1 vs gen2 voodoo. Honestly, I don't even know if there are any. From what I know supposedly Ford tweaked the voodoo engine a bit to help with reliability and oil consumption but I haven't seen any info on what was actually tweaked.

I see part # changes for voodoo shortblocks from 15-17, 17-19, and 19+. No idea what and there could be different things they tweaked as they made general mustang changes on those years.

I would continue to drive the car if you want or sell it, at this point I don't think there is much to worry about.
A few things changed internally on the 2019 engine, most prominently the block is shared with the gt500 predator engine. Here is a good video fathouse did explaining some of the differences:

Some pre-2019 engines suffer from oil loss. Post-2019 don’t have oil loss issues, but there were some that dropped valves in late 2019 and early 2020 (mine being one of them.)

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I know for sure the Gen2 is a little faster - butt dyno says.
Sponsored