Sponsored

Gas reserve

Farmundeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT Premium
I'm not all that comfortable with the gas gauge/low fuel indicator in the S550. I don't find it to be very reliable and consistent. On a few occasions (including earlier today) i've had it suddenly drop from 1/4 tank left to E, with the "__ miles to empty" dropping super fast. I don't care all that much right now as i'll just refill any time it hits half a tank. But once I start taking long road trips I'll be a little nervous. My S197 was SPOT on.
Sponsored

kn7671

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I'm not all that comfortable with the gas gauge/low fuel indicator in the S550. I don't find it to be very reliable and consistent. On a few occasions (including earlier today) i've had it suddenly drop from 1/4 tank left to E, with the "__ miles to empty" dropping super fast. I don't care all that much right now as i'll just refill any time it hits half a tank. But once I start taking long road trips I'll be a little nervous. My S197 was SPOT on.
Wait, there's a gas gauge on the car? :headbonk: I don't even look at it any more and only pay attention to the Miles to Empty readout.

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Fuel pumps are located in the gas tanks to keep them cool. If you empty the tank, the pump will not be cooled and could be damaged. Unless you are handy with tools, it is quite expensive to replace the pump.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
On road trips, I never let the car get below 1/4 tank. Just seems sensible.

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
Fuel pumps are located in the gas tanks to keep them cool. If you empty the tank, the pump will not be cooled and could be damaged. Unless you are handy with tools, it is quite expensive to replace the pump.
I doubt anyone would plan to run their tank dry on a regular basis. And especially in winter, the likelihood of the fuel pump overheating would be, well it would have have other issues developed over many years, or just a bad part, for that to happen when the pump's ambient temp is low.

I'll address another questionable 'reason' it's bad to EVER run your tank dry. Because the dirt in the bottom of the tank will be concentrated and sucked into the system. Well, after the fuel pump in my 1990 Bronco had been whining for a long time (many months at least, I finally pulled the tank to replace it. The 15+ year old gas tank (150k+ miles) was clean as a whistle. NOT one grin of dirt! Oh, and I'd guess if there is not an outright fuel filter, there is at least a gold colored 'stone' strainer.

I have zero worries if, over 15 years, my car runs out of gas 2-3 times. Zero. But that is just MHO. ;)

Sponsored

USPSALIMITED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G6 GT PP Guard
Fuel pumps are located in the gas tanks to keep them cool. If you empty the tank, the pump will not be cooled and could be damaged.
MMMM.

Should be at near zero load (pushing air instead of liquid) and should only run until you figure out you are out of gas. Am not going to try it though :).

In the first fuel injected Ford pickups (and some of the passenger cars) they put the fuel filter downstream of the pump with no pressure relief valve in between. Not a highlight in the history of Ford engineering. If the customer did not change the fuel filter before about every 50,000 miles ( + - depending on quality of fuel in your area & etc), the fuel pump would burn up ($200.00 + to replace not counting towing bill).

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
I had mine to one mile past 0, and it took 15.6 gallons. I wouldn't press it too hard.

ilkhan

435 ilkhan approved HP.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[Gone 2016 400A] > 2017 F150
I ran out of gas on the test drive.:frusty: Just trying to get to the gas station to put gas in.:lol:Other than that, it's just nice to know when the time arises if you can push it just a little further.:cool:
That is can understand. Test driven several Mustangs, none had more than 25mi worth of gas in them.

I guess you have never been on a long trip, in the middle of nowhere (that you do not know) and wondered if you had enough to get to the next gas station.
So dont get in that situation? Keep it over 1/3rd and don't worry about it. You should get out and stretch anyway.

pctek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium DIB 401A
I filled my GT yesterday. I have a 15.5 gallon tank, or so the specs say. I had 20 MTE and the guage showed 1/16 tank. It took 14.3 gallons. My peeve is that the low fuel indicator I'm supposed to have never came on!! I had 1 gallon of gas left in the tank. I only ran that low due to replies to my post about the low fuel indicator said it wouldn't come on until I hit those levels. Well, I hit the levels and no indicator. I plan to have it checked at the dealer.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Not sure of the 2015's fuel system, but on the SN95 the fuel return dumped the returned fuel across the pump to keep it cooled off. I imagine manufacturers would stick to this design.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I never let a vehicle drop below 1/4 tank, for the pump cooling and filter plugging reasons mentioned already.

OP
OP
2015-MUSTANG

2015-MUSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
So like an idiot I decide to push for the extra couple miles out of coninience of going to the gas station that is most on the way to my destination and I run out of gas. :doh: So this car aperantly has the smallest reserve of all my previous cars. I got from the moment of "0 miles to empty" another 9 miles. Based on my gas consumption averaging about 18 miles/gallon, that is about half a gallon. So at least from this experience I would say that you have half a gallon left once the gauge reads "0 miles to empty".

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
So like an idiot I decide to push for the extra couple miles out of coninience of going to the gas station that is most on the way to my destination and I run out of gas. :doh: So this car aperantly has the smallest reserve of all my previous cars. I got from the moment of "0 miles to empty" another 9 miles. Based on my gas consumption averaging about 18 miles/gallon, that is about half a gallon. So at least from this experience I would say that you have half a gallon left once the gauge reads "0 miles to empty".

There is no "reserve" tank on cars. A reserve tank is what you would call a remote or separate tank which would kick on or switch to when you main tank runs out. You are literally running your tank dry, there is no separate compartment you are receiving fuel from. Someone correct me if I am wrong, this was the case with the last 5 cars I've owned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
2015-MUSTANG

2015-MUSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
I guess I'm using reserve wrong. What I mean is all cars have a certain amount of gas left once the car reads empty. Some cars have more than others. I ve been told by some other mustang owners that they have less gas than other cars once the gauge reads empty. Well it's always good to know your cars limits.

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
Taken from the owner's manual...

Your fuel tank's advertised capacity
includes the fuel indicated by your gauge
plus an empty reserve of fuel that remains
after the fuel gauge indicates empty. See​
Capacities and Specifications​
(page