Gas reserve

2015-MUSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
I was wondering once the display reads "0 miles to empty" how many more miles do you have before the engine starts sputtering and cuts off. I don't plan on running it down regularly but it would be nice to know the limits. Has anyone gone that far with their 2015 or older mustangs?
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I was wondering once the display reads "0 miles to empty" how many more miles do you have before the engine starts sputtering and cuts off. I don't plan on running it down regularly but it would be nice to know the limits. Has anyone gone that far with their 2015 or older mustangs?
I had mine down to within 20-30 miles of 0 range and when I filled only 14 gallons went in. At the time I was on the freeway cruise at 80 getting about 22 mpg. So I'd say the readout is a little generous but not much. The difference in range at that point if you keep cruising versus if you nail it a couple times is huge. I typically would never run it down that far because if you have to go up a hill or turn a corner the gasoline might uncover the pump and then you are screwed.

I normally fill at 1/4 tank but I was in ND on the freeway in a dead zone. I don't really like stopping at too small of a town.

Jeepwx03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang, 15 Mustang GT PP, 13 F150 FX4
I've heard others getting close to 16 gallons after the display reads 0. I plan to run mine to 0 and fill it up to get an idea, but I'm under the impression that there isn't as much reserve as in the past

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
I had mine down to within 20-30 miles of 0 range and when I filled only 14 gallons went in. At the time I was on the freeway cruise at 80 getting about 22 mpg. So I'd say the readout is a little generous but not much. The difference in range at that point if you keep cruising versus if you nail it a couple times is huge. I typically would never run it down that far because if you have to go up a hill or turn a corner the gasoline might uncover the pump and then you are screwed.

I normally fill at 1/4 tank but I was in ND on the freeway in a dead zone. I don't really like stopping at too small of a town.
You're in the "friendliest" area of the country. Why don't you like small towns? Of course, if they are too small they may not even have gas stations - I used to live in one of those!

Mustang8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
You're in the "friendliest" area of the country. Why don't you like small towns? Of course, if they are too small they may not even have gas stations - I used to live in one of those!
I'm not a fan of small towns in the middle of nowhere, watched too many scary movies haha.

Sponsored

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
I'm not a fan of small towns in the middle of nowhere, watched too many scary movies haha.
Lol! Yeah, I came from a town of 2000. Every night it was like The Walking Dead, you are smart to stay away.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Just keep a jerry can full in your trunk.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I don't mind small towns if I'm familiar with the small town and the people in them. I grew up in ND a couple miles out from a town so small there wasn't one paved road. We viewed outsiders with suspicion. :) Frankly I don't think people from really small towns are that friendly because they are not accustomed to seeing strangers. They are like family to each other though.

My class size was 5. I rode the bus 25 minutes when I was on the wrong end of the route due to all the kid's houses being so far apart.

Frankly I trust the people and businesses more in a larger town (larger meaning more than 1,000 people as opposed to a town of 50 people or smaller like where I grew up). I trust the businesses to be open on a Saturday or Sunday earlier and later in the day, I trust the quality of the equipment more and believe that the fuel will be more fresh and the facilities will be better maintained.

Believe me this is trust born of experience rather than ignorance. I grew up in the country. It was a great place to grow up, but not that good a place to live as an adult. Very few good jobs and zero high tech stuff. I've always been into technology and science. Farming is a great living but doesn't appeal to me. I pretty much wanted to get out of there ASAP for as long as I can remember. :D

mc lane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP AT, '05 Chrysler 300 C, '18 Navara Twin Turbo
Vehicle Showcase

there are more benefits than avoiding small town or weirdoes...

running out of gas can KILL your catalytic converters

ilkhan

435 ilkhan approved HP.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[Gone 2016 400A] > 2017 F150
Not to be a killjoy, but is this a serious concern?
If its low, FILL IT UP.

Sponsored

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
Small towns are great. Best customer service you can get... if you yourself are friendly and nonjudgmental. And they give you a whole different perspective of life. If you've had bad experiences or seen scary movies about small towns, check out the movie "Cars" it's fabulous.

kn7671

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I've had mine down to 5-10 miles to Empty on three different occassions, each time took around 15.5 gallons. According to the manual for the 2015, the tank is 16-gallons, so I can confirm what others are saying.

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
running out of gas can KILL your catalytic converters
What problem can be caused by running out of gas once? What happens that the converter cannot handle (at least once with zero deteriorization of the cats. innards')?

I guess at the very end on drops and fumes, the engine might run lean, and hence hotter? But for how long would a hotter than normal exhaust thru cat need to be before is could possibly melt or bond/clog the innards (like leaded gas can do to a cat.)?

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
If its low, FILL IT UP.
I guess you have never been on a long trip, in the middle of nowhere (that you do not know) and wondered if you had enough to get to the next gas station. Personally, I get piece of mind from knowing about* how many miles any new (to me) car can go after 'zero' (or 'E' ). Most cars have a couple of gallons, but My GMC Savana 3500 box van... Whenthe needle touches 'E' you better take the next exit! :paddle:

In a new car, I usually put a 2 gallon gas can in back when I get low, then run it out to see how many miles I get past 'zero'.

Distance reall depends on speed and freeway vs. around town. Getting 40 miles past zero cruising on the freeway... You do not want to use that # for around town distance! ;)

YMMV

Scorpion

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Premium PP Silver
If its low, FILL IT UP.
I ran out of gas on the test drive.:frusty: Just trying to get to the gas station to put gas in.:lol:Other than that, it's just nice to know when the time arises if you can push it just a little further.:cool:
Sponsored