Gas reserve

pctek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium DIB 401A
So like an idiot I decide to push for the extra couple miles out of coninience of going to the gas station that is most on the way to my destination and I run out of gas. :doh: So this car aperantly has the smallest reserve of all my previous cars. I got from the moment of "0 miles to empty" another 9 miles. Based on my gas consumption averaging about 18 miles/gallon, that is about half a gallon. So at least from this experience I would say that you have half a gallon left once the gauge reads "0 miles to empty".
At what point did your low fuel indicator come on? When you hit 0 MTE?
Sponsored

grumblin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT Premium
Not to be a killjoy, but is this a serious concern?
If its low, FILL IT UP.

It's a serious concern if you're driving across the state of Texas and not using the freeways. Gas can be scarce on a Sunday morning when going a few hundred miles and running through small towns...

OP
OP
2015-MUSTANG

2015-MUSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
At what point did your low fuel indicator come on? When you hit 0 MTE?
The low fuel indicator came on somewhere around 20-30 miles to empty, I don't remember exactly. Once I hit zero miles to empty then I got 9 additional miles before I stalled.

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
Taken from the owner's manual...

Your fuel tank's advertised capacity
includes the fuel indicated by your gauge
plus an empty reserve of fuel that remains
after the fuel gauge indicates empty. See​
Capacities and Specifications​
(page
267).

•​
The empty reserve makes sure that you
do not run of out fuel until after the
gauge indicates empty.

•​
Due to the empty reserve, you may not
be able to refuel the full amount of the
advertised capacity of the fuel tank
even when the fuel gauge reads empty.

Note:​
The amount of fuel in the empty
reserve varies and should not be relied upon

to increase driving range.

So in short, there is no "reserve", you are just allowing allowing the use of all the fuel in that tank. I found this concept so funny, but manufactures can present it and call it what they wish. The car will prompt you when you are "out of gas" with 0 miles showing left, yet you have another 9-10 to go. How is that being empty? Why not mark the fact you only have 9-10 miles left then mark empty? I am pretty sure the computer can be pretty accurate given today's technology.

Thanks for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
They leave a small amount of gas in the tank as reserve when displayed as empty...because there will always be someone that thinks that "9-10 miles" to go as suggested really is 9-10 miles. So the next gas station is 9.5 miles away and you think that you can get there. But the computer starts to say 7 miles left while the station is at 9. A local broadcaster ended up out of gas (live on TV) because he thought that Empty meant he had another 10-20 miles of gas left 'in reserve'. His SUV really meant empty when it said empty.

Sponsored

Patrick S

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 50 year Ap/Pkg
all this talk of small towns and such. I live outside of a town of 1500 people. I actually live closer to the next town, but for the sake of the mail, i am still "Springfield" i drive 22 miles to work in Omaha, and 22 miles home. I lived for 36 years in a large city, and MUCH prefer this. i am not a weirdo, i love love waking up and looking out at the view, and not seeing just the siding of my neighbors house.. we even have a gas station! i never have let a Mustang run out of gas. I can not speak for my cars i owned as a broke youth... but, that was just being broke and needing to stretch gas out as long as i could because "My paycheck hits the account at midnight!"

Horse Face

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicorn
They leave a small amount of gas in the tank as reserve when displayed as empty...because there will always be someone that thinks that "9-10 miles" to go as suggested really is 9-10 miles. So the next gas station is 9.5 miles away and you think that you can get there. But the computer starts to say 7 miles left while the station is at 9. A local broadcaster ended up out of gas (live on TV) because he thought that Empty meant he had another 10-20 miles of gas left 'in reserve'. His SUV really meant empty when it said empty.
Been going on since 1964...

http://www.hulu.com/watch/114066
Sponsored