Front End Noise Mystery

CaptDave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
'21 Grabber Yellow GT500 CFTP, '23 F150 King Ranch
Welp got the car back, and the noise is still there, except now its not as loud as before, its more subtle, I just havent told my service guy yet, so we are on the right track just not exactly there yet. Once i get what I need finished I'll let him know.
Bummer, sorry to hear this. I was really hoping it’d fix your problem like mine did.
Sponsored

OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
Bummer, sorry to hear this. I was really hoping it’d fix your problem like mine did.
Like I said its not as loud, but still there, so we might be on to something, I will be talking to my service guy, I just hated breaking it to him, I know the shop foreman isnt going to like hearing this and is going to get determined to fix it.

shelbykr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 2009 Shelby GT500KR 2008 Shelby GT-C
I have developed this knocking noise on hard lock as well.
So happened yesterday I removed the belly pan to see if there were any rub marks or damage around the steering area.

I noticed the steering rack input shaft with the yellow tape I put on the shaft cover that the uni joint is attached to has at least 1 mm side movement at the spline.

Gripping the uni joint and moving back and forth there is a metallic knocking sound.
See and hear the short video with the sound turned up........

Last edited:
OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I have developed this knocking noise on hard lock as well.
So happened yesterday I removed the belly pan to see if there were any rub marks or damage around the steering area.

I noticed the steering rack input shaft with the yellow tape I put on the shaft cover that the uni joint is attached to has at least 1 mm side movement at the spline.

Gripping the uni joint and moving back and forth there is a metallic knocking sound.
See and hear the short video with the sound turned up........

I am going to bring the car back at some point I'll link this video, but like I said since the change of the two steering shafts the knock isnt as loud but still there.

vintage1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
My car was on chassis ears through the majority of the attempted repairs to inform the next repair. All the mechanical options were exhausted when they confirmed the frame was the problem with bad weld(s). I believe replacement of the steering shaft was the last attempted repair before they came to that conclusion. They told me the frame was flexing under load on turns and making the noise and at times causing the peddles to move.

Sponsored

VoodooThomas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
My car was on chassis ears through the majority of the attempted repairs to inform the next repair. All the mechanical options were exhausted when they confirmed the frame was the problem with bad weld(s). I believe replacement of the steering shaft was the last attempted repair before they came to that conclusion. They told me the frame was flexing under load on turns and making the noise and at times causing the peddles to move.
They are replacing the control arms on mine tomorrow. I mentioned the steering shaft solution but my service advisor told me the same thing if the control arms don't fix it. He said they'll need to make an appt with a body shop to check out the frame welds for body flex.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
They are replacing the control arms on mine tomorrow. I mentioned the steering shaft solution but my service advisor told me the same thing if the control arms don't fix it. He said they'll need to make an appt with a body shop to check out the frame welds for body flex.
I wonder how many of these got by the inspectors, a pandemic thing?

VoodooThomas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
Got my car back yesterday after they replaced the control arms, still makes the sound. They are going to order the steering shaft and try replacing that next.

OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Got my car back yesterday after they replaced the control arms, still makes the sound. They are going to order the steering shaft and try replacing that next.
Did the sound get softer after the replaced the control arms? Mine did get softer in sound but still there.

Sponsored

VoodooThomas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
Did the sound get softer after the replaced the control arms? Mine did get softer in sound but still there.
My SA said he thought it was quieter but it seemed the same to me. I had my windows down instead of up though so maybe that made a difference.

OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
My SA said he thought it was quieter but it seemed the same to me. I had my windows down instead of up though so maybe that made a difference.
I always check with the exhaust on quiet radio off and windows up, and I can definitely say the knock is quieter but still there, so I will be interested to see what happens with yours, I havent brought mine back yet as I have a couple of things to do plus they are super busy at the moment so I I'm thinking of end of April for them to take another crack at it unless your SA bears fruit in results with the shaft change.

Rev Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2023 BMW X3
Update with my car:

Swapped out the upper and lower steering shaft on mine and the popping noise is gone. I was able to get mine fixed at the same dealer as @CaptDave - Thanks for the info on the fix Dave!

I'm just glad it wasn't a bad weld like this guy...or maybe they never swapped out the steering shaft assembly on his?

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...creak-while-turning-left.130806/#post-2994433

Parts they replaced on my 20 R were the following:

FR3Z 3E751 C (Upper Shaft)
FR3Z 3B676 B (Lower Shaft)
W714878 S450 (Yoke Assembly Bolt)
W707137 S441 (Upper Shaft Nut)

Hope this helps for those dealing with this issue.

kcobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500, Base w/tech, black roof, vinyl stripes
My 2021 has the same issue and I just picked up my 2022. Same noise with this one also. Looks like at least now we will know where to look. Ford should issue a recall.

OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
My 2021 has the same issue and I just picked up my 2022. Same noise with this one also. Looks like at least now we will know where to look. Ford should issue a recall.
So all 3 years have this issue very odd question is what really is the issue.
Sponsored