Sponsored

Front End Noise Mystery

kcobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500, Base w/tech, black roof, vinyl stripes
Could it be the Torsen differential talking through the driveline during hard left slow speed turn?
No. Definitely front end issue.
Sponsored

CaptDave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
'21 Grabber Yellow GT500 CFTP, '23 F150 King Ranch
My 2020 has been making this noise for the past 18 months. Armed with everyone's knowledge from this thread, I asked the dealer to investigate the noise again. They still can't find the root cause of the noise. They talked to someone over at Ford Engineering and it's been decided to replace my steering column to see if that sorts out the issue. I doubt it will, seems like just throwing parts at something, but I'll report back after the install.

kcobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500, Base w/tech, black roof, vinyl stripes
At least they are trying. Keep us posted.

OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
My 2020 has been making this noise for the past 18 months. Armed with everyone's knowledge from this thread, I asked the dealer to investigate the noise again. They still can't find the root cause of the noise. They talked to someone over at Ford Engineering and it's been decided to replace my steering column to see if that sorts out the issue. I doubt it will, seems like just throwing parts at something, but I'll report back after the install.
I'm with you I dont think its the steering column cause I dont think you would feel it in the gas pedal, but do keep up posted since I didnt realize how many people have this issue, and the weather hasnt been nice here lately for me to look a bit further.

Torchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
Has anyone with this issue looked at the bold head on their steering shaft to see if there's marring?

Sponsored

vintage1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Went down this road in 2017 with my 2016 GT performance package. Dealer rebuilt the front end, Ford engineering got involved and it was determined there was a bad weld in the frame - likely in the frame rail. Robot had a bad day. The dealer indicated all involved at Ford said this was a very unique case. They did some plug welding and at that point I had enough and they took the car back and got me into a 2017. Seven months of grief. Best of luck.

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT, PP1 and 2021 Mach 1
My car did something similar and front end all checked good. I took it to a parking lot and turned it in tight circle 3 or 4 times left and then right and it went away. I could have sworn it was coming from the front but now think it must have been the Torsen rear popping/clicking. Try it, it's free.

OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
My car did something similar and front end all checked good. I took it to a parking lot and turned it in tight circle 3 or 4 times left and then right and it went away. I could have sworn it was coming from the front but now think it must have been the Torsen rear popping/clicking. Try it, it's free.
Something in the back you wouldnt feel in the gas pedal or hear directly under the steering dash.

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium--Oxford White--A6
I installed headers on a friends car a few years ago that resulted in a similar finding. It ended up being the steering shaft bolt at the upper knuckle (closest to the firewall) tapping on the steering shaft at full lock, in that direction. It did not repeat itself in the other direction because the head of the bolt was 180Âş out when turned the other direction. I discovered the front K member was off center, towards the drivers side of the car which cause the space between the header and the steering shaft knuckle to be reduced. Wasn't fun to fix by the way.......

Anyway, that's all I got.
Yep, that was me! And while I had no hand in the "helping" part, it did take you and Marcus a bit to fix the problem. I haven't really noticed it since then. Thanks!!

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, that was me! And while I had no hand in the "helping" part, it did take you and Marcus a bit to fix the problem. I haven't really noticed it since then. Thanks!!
Glad to hear it hasn't been an issue since!

Sponsored

CaptDave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
I'm with you I dont think its the steering column cause I dont think you would feel it in the gas pedal, but do keep up posted since I didnt realize how many people have this issue, and the weather hasnt been nice here lately for me to look a bit further.
I got the car back today. They replaced my upper and lower steering shaft assembly. No noise as of right now, but I'm going to drive it for a few weeks before I'm convinced it's fixed. Here's the text off the service report if anyone else's mechanic is having trouble finding their noise.

"Performed electronic chassis ear diagnosis. Necessary additional diagnosis. Needed to rack vehicle 7 plus times for chassis ear node placements across whole front end to isolate noise coming from firewall area. Pin pointed noise coming from steering shaft. Replaced lower and upper steering shaft per hotline and performed post repair road test to verify noise is no longer present."

OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I got the car back today. They replaced my upper and lower steering shaft assembly. No noise as of right now, but I'm going to drive it for a few weeks before I'm convinced it's fixed. Here's the text off the service report if anyone else's mechanic is having trouble finding their noise.

"Performed electronic chassis ear diagnosis. Necessary additional diagnosis. Needed to rack vehicle 7 plus times for chassis ear node placements across whole front end to isolate noise coming from firewall area. Pin pointed noise coming from steering shaft. Replaced lower and upper steering shaft per hotline and performed post repair road test to verify noise is no longer present."
Just forwarded this to my Service guy thanks!

OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
@CaptDave my service guy just told me the shop foreman is now involved with the noise after I sent over what you wrote and he got a hold of the hotline and they sent him over your case and are in the process of replacing the same thing with mine as the foreman said it follows the exact same pattern as yours (Which is really mine LOL). If this works Thank you and your shop for the diligence, and this post can now be the archive for the solution if mine is solved as well..

I'll keep everyone posted.

CaptDave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
@CaptDave my service guy just told me the shop foreman is now involved with the noise after I sent over what you wrote and he got a hold of the hotline and they sent him over your case and are in the process of replacing the same thing with mine as the foreman said it follows the exact same pattern as yours (Which is really mine LOL). If this works Thank you and your shop for the diligence, and this post can now be the archive for the solution if mine is solved as well..

I'll keep everyone posted.
No worries brother. I hope it works for you. So far so good for my car. Thanks to my service guy and his suspension guy for not giving up on it like the last couple of people I've had try to locate and fix the issue.

OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Welp got the car back, and the noise is still there, except now its not as loud as before, its more subtle, I just havent told my service guy yet, so we are on the right track just not exactly there yet. Once i get what I need finished I'll let him know.
Sponsored