Sponsored

Front end feels different after larger wheels/tires

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
I have heard the steeda bumpsteer kit helps with tramlining. It's common when lowering and putting wider tires on these cars.

Bumpsteer is not tramlining
Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Always takes me a few minutes to adjust from my winter set (235’s) to my summer set (285’s). Gotta love a little tramlining 🤭. The Cup2’s are a lot worse than a PS4S or Conti ECS.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Always takes me a few minutes to adjust from my winter set (235’s) to my summer set (285’s). Gotta love a little tramlining 🤭. The Cup2’s are a lot worse than a PS4S or Conti ECS.
The tire carcass is probably stiffer on the Cup2s as well and I'm guessing the tire might have a lower profile sidewall too depending on size? A stiffer tire will contribute to that. Less flex. It will react faster.

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
I actually don’t mind tramlining - since we don’t get bluecruise it’s nice to take my hands off the wheel for a minute (jk)

mustangdriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Changing wheel offsets will change scrub radius, this will affect stability and steering feel.

Sponsored

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
The fix is to get a set of 305’s, drive that around for a while and get used to it. Then switch back to 285.

Tramlining will feel non existent.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
The tire carcass is probably stiffer on the Cup2s as well and I'm guessing the tire might have a lower profile sidewall too depending on size? A stiffer tire will contribute to that. Less flex. It will react faster.
It was a 350R that I drove on Cup2’s, so shorter sidewall for sure and wider tires than mine. I believe the PS4S has a little stiffer sidewall than the ECS also.

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue
Can you post a print out of your alignment specs ?

These cars especially with big tires are sensitive to uneven toe settings especially toe out.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
It’s called tramlining. Means you have a decent suspension and tire setup. Grip the wheel harder and rip it
Not necessarily. My ZL1 with 285s up front tram lines less than my ‘18 PP1 GT did with 255s. And I had a Mazdaspeed3 with 225s up front that tramlined worse than the Mustang. Suspension geometry and settings have an effect on reducing tramlining. Also, some people think tramlining equates to steering feel, again, not really. I feel way more in my ZL1 steering wheel than I did in the Mustang. Yet the ZL1 has much better handling, balance, and setup. Hence, less tramlining despite wider wheels/tires AND more road feel.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Not necessarily. My ZL1 with 285s up front tram lines less than my ‘18 PP1 GT did with 255s. And I had a Mazdaspeed3 with 225s up front that tramlined worse than the Mustang. Suspension geometry and settings have an effect on reducing tramlining. Also, some people think tramlining equates to steering feel, again, not really. I feel way more in my ZL1 steering wheel than I did in the Mustang. Yet the ZL1 has much better handling, balance, and setup. Hence, less tramlining despite wider wheels/tires AND more road feel.
Definitely suspension geometry has a big impact. And the Camaro chassis platform is just superior to the Mustang from a design perspective. As much as I don't like it, GM wiped the floor with Ford from that perspective.

Sponsored

Mgt2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leon
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Last year I replaced my stock wheels/tires and went with a 285/35/19 on a 10" wheel, and I noticed this right after swapping them, but never remember to ask about it. What it "feels" like is the lane keep assist is on, and you are drifting out of the lane and it nudges the wheel back...now this happens while in the lane, and with the lane assist turned off. If it matters the tires I went with GoodYear Eagle F1 Supercar 3. Its not a vibration or shimmy, but it feels exactly like the vehicle is trying to right itself from going outside the lane (again, which is not turned on nor am I outside the lane). Anyone ever experience anything like that? Since the tires have been installed the car has maybe 1500 miles on it, and we just had a nice day so I had it out and reminded me to ask about it. I don't remember the car doing anything similar with the OEM tires/wheels but it was never really driven much on those.

sorry to hear that. This often happens on my pp2 only on the back local roads. But on the US HWY and State roads it’s a joyful ride. And the grip at a dig compare to normal tire sizes is the best. When I first drove the car I thought I had an alignment issue, took it back to the dealer for an evaluation and found nothing wrong with it. I love them now and I wouldn’t change them for nothing less.

TonyT930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible in Ruby Red
Last year I replaced my stock wheels/tires and went with a 285/35/19 on a 10" wheel, and I noticed this right after swapping them, but never remember to ask about it. What it "feels" like is the lane keep assist is on, and you are drifting out of the lane and it nudges the wheel back...now this happens while in the lane, and with the lane assist turned off. If it matters the tires I went with GoodYear Eagle F1 Supercar 3. Its not a vibration or shimmy, but it feels exactly like the vehicle is trying to right itself from going outside the lane (again, which is not turned on nor am I outside the lane). Anyone ever experience anything like that? Since the tires have been installed the car has maybe 1500 miles on it, and we just had a nice day so I had it out and reminded me to ask about it. I don't remember the car doing anything similar with the OEM tires/wheels but it was never really driven much on those.
This problem is one of the reasons why I stuck with 255/40r19 in the front...

chuckhammer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT, Carbonized Gray, MT82, base, no options.
I'm running 285/35-19s on 19x10 ET35s up front where my camber is about -1.75. I don't notice much tramlining with my setup. I did notice a loss of responsive steering feel when I switched to these from the 235 P Zero Neros it came with. The 2" narrower OEM tires gave the steering a more lively feel, especially on turn-in. I don't miss the lack of grip from them, though.

I think being able to maintain gorilla-like grip while running a relatively narrow front tire is one of the great benefits of a mid or rear engine chassis.

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue
I'm running 285/35-19s on 19x10 ET35s up front where my camber is about -1.75. I don't notice much tramlining with my setup. I did notice a loss of responsive steering feel when I switched to these from the 235 P Zero Neros it came with. The 2" narrower OEM tires gave the steering a more lively feel, especially on turn-in. I don't miss the lack of grip from them, though.

I think being able to maintain gorilla-like grip while running a relatively narrow front tire is one of the great benefits of a mid or rear engine chassis.
What tires do you have now so i dont buy them? I have the 255 P Zero AS (going to go for 275 summer tires soon) and i've never felt they were lively on turn in lol.

ShadowCoyote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zachary
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Bumpsteer is not tramlining
Maybe he meant the SteedaG-Trac Brace? I went from 255s in the front to. 275s and I have noticed some tramlining on acceleration, but it's not bad as the roads my car has to travel on. They are really bad where I live.
Sponsored