Front end feels different after larger wheels/tires

94gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mat
Vehicle(s)
21' F150, 21' Mustang GT
Last year I replaced my stock wheels/tires and went with a 285/35/19 on a 10" wheel, and I noticed this right after swapping them, but never remember to ask about it. What it "feels" like is the lane keep assist is on, and you are drifting out of the lane and it nudges the wheel back...now this happens while in the lane, and with the lane assist turned off. If it matters the tires I went with GoodYear Eagle F1 Supercar 3. Its not a vibration or shimmy, but it feels exactly like the vehicle is trying to right itself from going outside the lane (again, which is not turned on nor am I outside the lane). Anyone ever experience anything like that? Since the tires have been installed the car has maybe 1500 miles on it, and we just had a nice day so I had it out and reminded me to ask about it. I don't remember the car doing anything similar with the OEM tires/wheels but it was never really driven much on those.
Sponsored

Ryan P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jap Crap
Sounds like you are describing "tramlining". The tires sort of run their course following ruts in the road pulling abruptly left or right regardless of steering input. It's a common issue when going to big tires on the front of these cars. There are things that can make it better and worse.....alignment, tire type etc.

OP
OP
94gt

94gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mat
Vehicle(s)
21' F150, 21' Mustang GT
Sounds like you are describing "tramlining". The tires sort of run their course following ruts in the road pulling abruptly left or right regardless of steering input. It's a common issue when going to big tires on the front of these cars. There are things that can make it better and worse.....alignment, tire type etc.
I had it aligned when they were put on, and it does not pull and tracs true, until that happens then it is sudden and right back to normal.

Ryan P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jap Crap
Does this happen regardless of the road surface? Like on back roads vs highways? When I had 305 cup 2's on the front of my car the tramlining was so bad I thought the steering rack failed. I doubt in your case anything is wrong because it occurred after going to wider tires, so I wouldn't be too concerned. It's something you have to deal with running big meats on the front.

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
It’s called tramlining. Means you have a decent suspension and tire setup. Grip the wheel harder and rip it

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
You may want to add a little bit of toe-in to stabilize the steering. Wider tires are going to catch inconsistencies in the pavement more. If 285 feels odd, 315 front tires are going to feel like they are actively try to kill you.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
You start running that size with a decent performance alignment that's what you will get. I run this size up front with a Ford Performance Track kit and in certain lanes the car tramlines.

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
I have heard the steeda bumpsteer kit helps with tramlining. It's common when lowering and putting wider tires on these cars.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I am almost certain what you are feeling is tramlining. There is a camber thrust effect that causes this type of action. The more grippy and wider the tires are, the larger the effect usually is. And also higher settings of negative camber will also increase this. There is nothing "wrong" with tramlining. It's just an artifact.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I have heard the steeda bumpsteer kit helps with tramlining. It's common when lowering and putting wider tires on these cars.
Not really no. The bumpsteer kit fixes a bumpsteer issue which is different than tramlining but the two are often confused.

Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Yeah bumpsteer kit happens when you hit a bump hence the name. This is tramlining, mine does it sometimes with the Michelin PS4S. Normal you get used to it, tires make a difference because my Cup 2 were tramlining at least twice as much as the PS4S do.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Yeah bumpsteer kit happens when you hit a bump hence the name. This is tramlining, mine does it sometimes with the Michelin PS4S. Normal you get used to it, tires make a difference because my Cup 2 were tramlining at least twice as much as the PS4S do.
Yep and that's because of the grip of the Cup 2s for a large degree. The way I explain the difference is - bumpsteer is a change in steering angle that you CAN'T feel in the steering wheel. The car goes where it wants apart from steering input. Tramlining is a change in steering angle reaction that you CAN feel in the steering wheel.

My car has a lot of tramlining because I have stiff suspension and I run -2.5/-2 camber angle. When you get used to it you feel what's happening and countersteer accordingly. But you learn not to get too twitchy in steering inputs. As the road surface changes you might feel something happening slightly that suddenly disappears as you keep moving. I try not to grip the steering wheel too tightly and that also helps.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Yep and that's because of the grip of the Cup 2s for a large degree. The way I explain the difference is - bumpsteer is a change in steering angle that you CAN'T feel in the steering wheel. The car goes where it wants apart from steering input. Tramlining is a change in steering angle reaction that you CAN feel in the steering wheel.

My car has a lot of tramlining because I have stiff suspension and I run -2.5/-2 camber angle. When you get used to it you feel what's happening and countersteer accordingly. But you learn not to get too twitchy in steering inputs. As the road surface changes you might feel something happening slightly that suddenly disappears as you keep moving. I try not to grip the steering wheel too tightly and that also helps.
yep and the lane keep assist stands 0 chance to correct I have learned

OP
OP
94gt

94gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mat
Vehicle(s)
21' F150, 21' Mustang GT
Thanks everyone for the input, just knowing its not just my car and something is wrong makes me feel a lot lot better about it and I will just get used to it!

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Thanks everyone for the input, just knowing its not just my car and something is wrong makes me feel a lot lot better about it and I will just get used to it!
Welcome! Exactly! Think of it as you are feeling the road. You will get used to it.
Sponsored