Sponsored

Found this metal on my oil plug. What is this?

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
From what can be seen in these photos I believe that you ought to be buying lottery tickets!

Still, there are several good suggestions here. Since you now know that this failure can happen (possibly 31 more times) you have some decision making in front of you. Best of luck.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled

PartyPatJDM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I'm just here to say if I pulled my plug and saw that I would be $hittin bricks lol That's a close one for the books. I couldn't sleep at night knowing I would drive this thing the next morning without dropping the pan.

Onewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ecoboost Premium Convertible
OP, You must not be married. Oily dirty car parts on granite countertops? My (ex) wife would have deneuterized me.

And from Doc Hollywood:

Pumpengehause. You and me call it an oil pump casing.

Lane had two years of the German language in high school.

Es ist kaput.

Sponsored

Gregory347

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 PP1, 1987 Buick Grand National, 1985 Mustang
On granite countertops….

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last edited:

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Two questions. One is can the oil pan be removed with the engine in the car? Some I have been able to remove, but not all.
Second is how much stuff is in the way before getting a rocker cover off?

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
So, the piece that came out on the magnet - is that all of it? or is there more in there still that didn't make it out yet (or all the way down to the pan yet?)

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
So, the piece that came out on the magnet - is that all of it? or is there more in there still that didn't make it out yet (or all the way down to the pan yet?)
Hello; that is the big question. Given enough time small stuff in the oil pan will make it to the magnet. Thing that would bother me is are there other pieces stuck in some oil drain channel or bouncing around the rocker arm assembly.
If these clips break up into big pieces as seen in the pictures such will not be the same as tiny bits of metal scratching everything up as they pass thru the system. The oil filter being clean is a good sign. May still have time to get into the engine and save it.

If the OP keeps running it at some point a piece will get into some other moving parts. Maybe a timing chain and be ground into small stuff. Maybe jump a chain or wedge in-between a chain and a gear. Maybe block an oil passage and starve oil from a section of the engine.

Last thing gleaned from this thread is the other clips may also fail or have already failed. Assuming the broken bits are from the rocker arms.

May not make any difference but a few hours checking might be well spent????

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Take the bits you found and try to reconstruct the clip. If any large pieces are missing you have a rough idea where they are.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
OP please read!

As far as I know the clips are not needed. Some coyote builders remove them.

Here is what you should do:
Pull off the valve covers (not hard at all),
Check to see if there are more pieces of the clip in the head or if any others have broken. Clean any metal you can see. Do an oil flush (just buy any cheap oil with about the same weight). Let the car idle for about 10 min with the new oil, then drain. Fill the car up with oil again (this time some good quality oil with the proper weight). Drive it around for a few days. Then drain the oil and fill up with your normal stuff. Then keep enjoying the car.

The goal is to remove as much metal from the system as you can do bearing damage doesn’t occur. The clip is not critical but your bearings are!

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wondering why it ever came off?? GOOD LUCK!!
Probably because ive hit 8495+ rpm quite a few times. I have some logs of this. Obv cant do that on a stock tune.

Take the bits you found and try to reconstruct the clip. If any large pieces are missing you have a rough idea where they are.
I lost some of the pieces unfortunately after taking the pictures.

OP please read!

As far as I know the clips are not needed. Some coyote builders remove them.

Here is what you should do:
Pull off the valve covers (not hard at all),
Check to see if there are more pieces of the clip in the head or if any others have broken. Clean any metal you can see. Do an oil flush (just buy any cheap oil with about the same weight). Let the car idle for about 10 min with the new oil, then drain. Fill the car up with oil again (this time some good quality oil with the proper weight). Drive it around for a few days. Then drain the oil and fill up with your normal stuff. Then keep enjoying the car.

The goal is to remove as much metal from the system as you can do bearing damage doesn’t occur. The clip is not critical but your bearings are!
Ive been sending it and it seems fine still. And if I drain my new oil and ceratec im saving it and reusing it after putting a magnet in it. I may not even do that though. Still all good so far.
Sponsored