Sponsored

Found this metal on my oil plug. What is this?

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Ideal shift point would be 7950-8100 for his 10spd setup based on his graph. Once the car has accelerating beyond about 60mph, TQ becomes less and less needed. The RPM drop on the 10 speed is about 1100- 1200rpm post shift. So the next gear is still near peak HP.
Hello; My thinking is that a lower shift point can help avoid the high revs. Of course, the assumption is that high RPM's are causing the clips to break is not yet proven. Just a guess.
For that matter that the bits of metal are from clips attached to the rocker arms is not yet confirmed. Seems to be the best guess so far.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I now have codes p0390 p0394 which are for

"The P0390 code is stored if the powertrain control module (PCM) does not detect the camshaft position sensor signal within a few seconds of cranking. This code is specific to sensor “B,” which, in general, is the exhaust camshaft sensor."

and

"P0394 is a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) for "Camshaft Position Sensor "B" Circuit Intermittent (Bank 2)". This can happen for multiple reasons and a mechanic needs to diagnose the specific cause for this code to be triggered in your situation."

Not sure if it could be related to these clips coming loose or what.

One other thing I did was replace my battery with an antigravity atx-30hd lithium battery recently. Not sure if that could be related either. I did find this TSB from ford regarding these codes :

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10153930-9999.pdf which relates to VCT oil control solenoid

"2018-2019 Mustang 5.0L Engine: Retrieve DTCs And Replace The Bank 2 Exhaust VCT Oil Control Solenoid (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) "

Not sure what to do but the car seems to run fine. Not going to run it hard with these codes though. I may take it to ford, or a local shop and give them the TSB.

Last edited:

Lilmags500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jody
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1 19 F350 20 Fusion Ti 19 Escape Ti
Did the OP actually pull the valve covers or did I miss that ? I work for Ford and I must say the metal chunks he showed in his pictures do NOT look like they came from the rocker arms ...

I'm reviewing some engine schematics for the 2018 model year now ....

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Did the OP actually pull the valve covers or did I miss that ? I work for Ford and I must say the metal chunks he showed in his pictures do NOT look like they came from the rocker arms ...

I'm reviewing some engine schematics for the 2018 model year now ....
Hello; Been following for a while and do not think the OP has looked into the engine yet. I think the car is still being driven, sometimes hard.
As you point that the metal is from the rockers is not yet confirmed. Also, the pictures of the metal pieces have some bits missing. Some pieces are lost.
Seems the OP started using a magnetic drain plug and found the metal bits. Such would lead me to think they must be small enough pass through the drain plug hole.

Lilmags500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jody
Vehicle(s)
There are 4 timing chain tensioners , 2 of them had thin metal u shaped plates under them that are no longer used in production (the metal plates) They appear to be thin metal like his
picture shows ... They have since had an engineering change and been replaced with a redesigned plastic type . The metal plates coming apart could clearly be the reason for the change .

This makes more sense in my opinion as the broken bits would drop straight down into the pan .
Trying to figure out how to get the image from my screen to the forum ...

I obviously have not looked at the OP's engine , BUT design changes happen for a reason , hope this helps .

Sponsored

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are 4 timing chain tensioners , 2 of them had thin metal u shaped plates under them that are no longer used in production (the metal plates) They appear to be thin metal like his
picture shows ... They have since had an engineering change and been replaced with a redesigned plastic type . The metal plates coming apart could clearly be the reason for the change .

This makes more sense in my opinion as the broken bits would drop straight down into the pan .

I obviously have not looked at the OP's engine , BUT design changes happen for a reason , hope this helps .
Interesting, do you think this could have caused p0390 p0394 codes? The TSB seems to blame the "Replace The Bank 2 Exhaust VCT Oil Control Solenoid (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) "

Lilmags500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jody
Vehicle(s)
Interesting, do you think this could have caused p0390 p0394 codes? The TSB seems to blame the "Replace The Bank 2 Exhaust VCT Oil Control Solenoid (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) "
Its very possible , your tensioner sits on the plate if the tensioner is just floating and your chain is slacking your cam sensor will see "camshaft out of time" depending which side is out it could be bank 1 (pass side) or bank 2 (driver side)

Because of the timeline of your metal findings and now multiple timing codes I would have to say the problem is behind your timing cover .

If you hear any clanging or ticking in the front of the motor I would not run it until you have a solid diagnosis , I wouldn't run it anyway but , that's just me !

bauern

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
F150 Powerboost

None of the tensioners that I have seen or bought beginning 2015 had metal plates.

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you have a print screen button you can click that then open ms paint and paste it, crop it, then save it then upload to forum. If you can see the picture on a cell phone you can screen shot it then do the same I think. Or you could take a pic of the screen with your cell phone then upload that pic to the forum. All this is with the attach files button when you are posting.

Dropping the car off at ford on Monday, they may be able to look at it by Wednesday they said. Car still sounds fine and seems normal as far as I can tell but I will try to not drive much until they look at it.

There was at very least 24 days between when I found the metal and when I got the codes (could have been months of having that metal on the plug). There was only about 10 days from when I replaced my battery with the antigravity lithium battery to when I got the codes. Not sure if either is actually related or not though since the TSB blames the Bank 2 Exhaust VCT Oil Control Solenoid.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After seeing the more detailed pic and now when I look back at my original pics it looks like at least 3 of these clips broke loose, and I probably have some more arms in my oil pan or hopefully on my plug

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It's clear to me hitting such high RPM all the time has taken its toll on the motor. I wouldn't be surprised if you have some significant chain stretch causing the timing codes.

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, I took the car to ford for the codes and they did TSB-18-2360 which was to replace Bank 2 Exhaust VCT Oil Control Solenoid , that didnt work, so I replaced the cam position sensor and that didnt work.

So I took it into a shop to figure out what was causing p0390 and p0394 codes and get new OPGS and timing chain installed while they were at it. They found that my cam cap came apart and was in the cylinder head and at least 8 more of the clips were not on the rocker arms.

Surprised the car was still running perfect. Not really sure what im going to do yet, but I think its going to be expensive. =/

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image7.jpeg

image8.jpeg

image9.jpeg

image10.jpeg

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone have any idea how a cam cap could just break? Seems pretty crazy. Also crazy that the car was still running fine.
Sponsored