Formula 1 talk.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I get it, all about the money. I just really think F1 should change the rules or they will eventually lose too many viewers. They are trying to grow the sport no?
Not going to happen, ever. With the growth in the US market F1 is doing very well. Viewership is way up so best they leave things as they are. I do agree watching the same driver/team winning every week is a tad boring but I never complained when it was Lewis and MB. šŸ¤­
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I get it, all about the money. I just really think F1 should change the rules or they will eventually lose too many viewers. They are trying to grow the sport no?
Car performance Less about money spent now then ever before. Other than driver salary and a few top paid employees, there is a limit to how much teams can spend and it is massively less than the "richest" teams spent just a few years ago.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Car performance Less about money spent now then ever before. Other than driver salary and a few top paid employees, there is a limit to how much teams can spend and it is massively less than the "richest" teams spent just a few years ago.
And yet the top teams are still light years ahead of the pack. It's not just about the amount of money, but where their money is spent and the technology behind it. Of course Red Bull spends it on food. :cwl: :crackup:

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
Not going to happen, ever. With the growth in the US market F1 is doing very well. Viewership is way up so best they leave things as they are. I do agree watching the same driver/team winning every week is a tad boring but I never complained when it was Lewis and MB. šŸ¤­
True but in the MB/LH case at least you had other divers and teams winning a race here and there. I mean Ferrari gave MB a pusb when was it in ā€˜19? Even with Merc when they where solidly on top Id use the GP as background noise. RB/MV are running away with it and as a fan and enthusiasts is getting boring and the thing is that RB is so far ahead from everyone else that I donā€™t foresee anyone coming close any time soon. By the time that the car develop this year so will RB and next year itā€™s going to be the same. They are eons ahead of everyone else.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
True but in the MB/LH case at least you had other divers and teams winning a race here and there. I mean Ferrari gave MB a pusb when was it in ā€˜19? Even with Merc when they where solidly on top Id use the GP as background noise. RB/MV are running away with it and as a fan and enthusiasts is getting boring and the thing is that RB is so far ahead from everyone else that I donā€™t foresee anyone coming close any time soon. By the time that the car develop this year so will RB and next year itā€™s going to be the same. They are eons ahead of everyone else.
Totally agree, and this pains me to say this, but Max is just in another universe. Sergio drives the same car and watching them is night and day. But, that said, winning by 20-30 seconds is just not real. šŸ¤”šŸ¤”šŸ¤”

Sponsored

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
Totally agree, and this pains me to say this, but Max is just in another universe. Sergio drives the same car and watching them is night and day. But, that said, winning by 20-30 seconds is just not real. šŸ¤”šŸ¤”šŸ¤”
Like I stated, I watched the Indy500, and seeing fuel strategies, tire strategies, and having more then 1 team fighting for the win was fun. F1 though is not going to change. There isnā€™t an incentive. They have a whole new huge viewership because of Legacy medias push to have more races in the US and many of the new viewers wonā€™t know better. The donā€™t know about the vicious rivalries between Senna v Prost McLaren/Ferrari or Schumacher/Hill Williams/Benetton.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Like I stated, I watched the Indy500, and seeing fuel strategies, tire strategies, and having more then 1 team fighting for the win was fun. F1 though is not going to change. There isnā€™t an incentive. They have a whole new huge viewership because of Legacy medias push to have more races in the US and many of the new viewers wonā€™t know better. The donā€™t know about the vicious rivalries between Senna v Prost McLaren/Ferrari or Schumacher/Hill Williams/Benetton.
I don't agree, if they want to keep people interested on TV then they will need to make it more competitive. They have been making changes to the cars each year to make them better for closer battles because they know. I don't think they are doing as good as you think they are.
Have you seen the stands for Nascar, half empty on tracks that were sold out few years back.

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
I don't agree, if they want to keep people interested on TV then they will need to make it more competitive. They have been making changes to the cars each year to make them better for closer battles because they know. I don't think they are doing as good as you think they are.
Have you seen the stands for Nascar, half empty on tracks that were sold out few years back.
I feel that if the make the cars smaller and lighter it might make it more interesting. Cars have gotten so large and heavy that you canā€™t throw them around the track like you used to. But then again safety is the name of the game, which brings on weight, and why where we are at today. I do hope that ā€˜26 brings a new better era for F1.

NASCAR made some decisions and choices that their core audience didnā€™t support. One being the ā€œcar of the futureā€ and the other was the changing of venues.The big one was the move of the Labor Day race from Darlington to California amongst other things. Reasons why stands started to empty and have stayed empty.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; You are both correct. A difference is a time frame thing. I started going the NASCAR races in the early 1960's and followed it for decades. For many years after it was a regular TV event i watched every race. Sometime in the 1990's things began to change in NASCAR. The regional (southern) flavor was replaced or at least dilluted. No longer did I need to pick seats above row 15 at Bristol to avoid beer cans flying overhead and onto the fence.
I have some notions as to how NASCAR grew so much for a time. I watched the Bristol go from simple concrete bleachers to the huge thing it is now. I talked to several first timers in the 1990's. They had no knowledge of the history. Seemed the spectacle was part of it and it became the "in" thing to do. Then tickets and parking became expensive. To get Bristol tickets I had to keep ordering for the next year and on and on. Then you had to buy the Bush race tickets in order to get the main race tickets.
I stopped going in the early 2000's and only watch some of the races. The hype started to remind me of professional wrestling. The race cars had almost nothing to do with the production cars. Ever seen a Toyota Camry with a factory V8?

I have only been to one F1 race in person, at Indy. I followed the sport by reading Road & Track in the i960 & 70's. I also do not like the current cars. I will stop now.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Ask yourself the same question. Seen the stands at an F1 race? They added 30k seats to Miami this year, the second year of the event. F1is global and it shows. Nascar has done it to themselves, and continues to do so. I enjoy watching nascar to but pretty much only after iā€™ve recorded most of it. The commercials absolutely kill it for me. The frequency is an unreal.

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
What kills F1 for me is the excessive way in which they overregulate each and every tiniest detail, in their relentless quest to make all cars as equal as possible and to make F1 a drivers' rather than a cars' competition. F1 should be the pinnacle of technology, they should be allowed to use every technical artifice one could possibly think of. Let the team that has the best car win - what's wrong with that? If a team is smart enough to make their car better by widening a piece of the floorboard, or installing a super-intelligent active suspension, then so be it, good for them. Let the others try and replicate that in the next season if they can. If they can't, well, tough luck.
I hated it when this tendency started, back in the nineties, but it's gotten even worse over the years, to the extreme extent we're seeing today when they even regulate how much money you may spend. This is absurd. This is a sport for the rich; it always has been. I'd rather see the rich evolve and come up with more and more technological breaktroughs, than have them throttled in the attempt to help the poor keep up with them. I don't care if the poor keep up or not; I just want to see the rich push the boundaries of technology at all costs, by every possible means. I want to see them drive faster today than they did yesterday, in a car that's better today than it was yesterday.

That, and the attention and publicity the drivers get nowadays. They're making glamorous superstars out of a bunch of dullards who can barely speak (barring a few exceptions). They're marvellous when they have a helmet on, a car around them, and a track underneath. That's how we want to see them. Actually, that's the reason why Jeremy Clarkson, when he started his then new Top Gear in 2002, invented the Stig as a faceless racing driver who never talked - because nobody wants to hear a racing driver talk. We just want to see them set lap records. Once they open their mouth the magic is gone.
There are some exceptions, of course. Hamilton is one. Max, emphatically, isn't.

Last edited:

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
What kills F1 for me is the excessive way in which they overregulate each and every tiniest detail, in their relentless quest to make all cars as equal as possible and to make F1 a drivers' rather than a cars' competition. F1 should be the pinnacle of technology, they should be allowed to use every technical artifice one could possibly think of. Let the team that has the best car win - what's wrong with that? If a team is smart enough to make their car better by widening a piece of the floorboard, or installing a super-intelligent active suspension, then so be it, good for them. Let the others try and replicate that in the next season if they can. If they can't, well, tough luck.
I hated it when this tendency started, back in the nineties, but it's gotten even worse over the years, to the extreme extent we're seeing today when they even regulate how much money you may spend. This is absurd. This is a sport for the rich; it always has been. I'd rather see the rich evolve and come up with more and more technological breaktroughs, than have them throttled in the attempt to help the poor keep up with them. I don't care if the poor keep up or not; I just want to see the rich push the boundaries of technology at all costs, by every possible means. I want to see them drive faster today than they did yesterday, in a car that's better today than it was yesterday.

That, and the attention and publicity the drivers get nowadays. They're making glamorous superstars out of a bunch of dullards who can barely speak (barring a few exceptions). They're marvellous when they have a helmet on, a car around them, and a track underneath. That's how we want to see them. Actually, that's the reason why Jeremy Clarkson, when he started his then new Top Gear in 2002, invented the Stig as a faceless racing driver who never talked - because nobody wants to hear a racing driver talk. We just want to see them set lap records. Once they open their mouth the magic is gone.
There are some exceptions, of course. Hamilton is one. Max, emphatically, isn't.
F1 has always been a rich manā€™s sport. Thatā€™s just a fact.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Exactly. So, let the rich do what they do best - use their money to move the world forward - and stop worrying about helping the poor. If the poor want to compete, then let them come up with ingenious ideas that lower their costs, or get richer sponsors, or whatever.
And if someone invents a revolutionary gearbox that makes the car faster/more reliable/easier to control/whatever, then let them use it and win the race. The others will have to come up with a better idea next year if they want to compete, and everybody will benefit from it. Even us, who in a few years will see those revolutionary inventions in our street cars.
Throttling the rich to help the poor doesn't benefit anyone (except those poor, who will win not because they're better, but because the others haven't been allowed to be better). I hate this communist ideal, to force them all to be equal at all costs. It's ruining the sport without even achieving its goal, because they won't ever be equal anyway.

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Ask yourself the same question. Seen the stands at an F1 race? They added 30k seats to Miami this year, the second year of the event. F1is global and it shows. Nascar has done it to themselves, and continues to do so. I enjoy watching nascar to but pretty much only after iā€™ve recorded most of it. The commercials absolutely kill it for me. The frequency is an unreal.
Excellent point. F1 is commercial free. I love that. Now if we could just get an US based reporting team.