Sponsored

Ford will offer a third engine (more powerful 2.3L EcoBoost) to 2020 Mustang lineup

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
The 7.3 in the Mustang is not going to happen as it is a truck engine. With the likely iron block and low revving capabilities, these facts mean it will not be in a Mustang. However, if Ford pony's up for an aluminum block, forged internals and high flow heads then we will see a 600-800 hp NA engine available in the Mustang(think 1969 ZL1 427).

Past history means this won't happen.
The heads are high flow.
They've been compared to SBF and SBC aftermarket heads.
Flow should be around 350cfm on the intake.
Forged internals are included.
A better valverain including the cam will be needed.
The motor is not much heavier than a Coyote, compares to the 5.8 Trinity sans the blower.
Alloy block version should be offered.

I know for a fact that the aftermarket in the form of various entities will be addressing this motor.
Sponsored

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I would not be surprised to hear Ford Performance is working on an electronics package to work with 7.3 liter engine swaps into the current Mustangs.

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007GT & 2017V6_ great Steeda & AM mods
Doesn’t make sense to me to offer a second 2.3T with a small uptick in horsepower.

It would make much better sense to me if they would offer a “mild hybrid’ version of the 2.3T.

Regarding the 435HP for the 5.0, I wonder if this signals a return to the Gen2 (‘15-‘17) Coyote (not to derail the thread into more tick discussions).

Now, if they offered a mild hybrid with the Coyote, that would be intriguing!

I could not pass on the 3.7L ‘17. It is the best driving value Detroit has built.
Ford dressed it down to lean sales toward the 2.3 Turbo. I drove the Turbo.
I felt the V6 had more gut. The V6 is de-tuned to position the I4-Turbo as the #2 engine choice.
Having said that, the car I have with 6 Spd AT is a true sports car. I am blown away satisfied.

Uptune the V6 with twin turbo, 10 spd AT, premium packages and you have a hot pony to sell.
This will not happen because the 5.0 V8 is a Mustang identity thing, Such a V6 may eclipse
the 5.0L. My point: rather than amping-up the 2.3L keep it as option 3 for high mpg buyers,
reintroduce 3.7LV6 in a natural aspiration performance configuration as option 2.

The 3.7L TiVCT V6 is underrated, overlooked, and the best engine Ford builds.

ford_100233891_l.jpg

Last edited:

200MPHCOBRA

Liberty Tree Needs Water
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2013 BOSS 302
Just drop in the 3.5 ecoboost in near Raptor tune, just find a way to make it sound good. Bump the 5.2 to 490 hp and turn up the 2.3 to RS spec. All bases covered.

Sponsored

Derkluge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Mustang Hybrid
Found a little nugget in this article:

“On a related note, the Mustang Hybrid is also due in 2020 with an EcoBoost-type engine according to Raj Nair, former president of Ford in North America. Look forward to “V8 power and even more low-end torque.””

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...n-2020-f-150-ev-under-development-131892.html

Seems like this is a year too early for a hybrid Mustang, but how many other ‘EcoBoost-type’ engines could Ford be developing for the Mustang?

Bullit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus Ct200
Found a little nugget in this article:

“On a related note, the Mustang Hybrid is also due in 2020 with an EcoBoost-type engine according to Raj Nair, former president of Ford in North America. Look forward to “V8 power and even more low-end torque.””

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...n-2020-f-150-ev-under-development-131892.html

Seems like this is a year too early for a hybrid Mustang, but how many other ‘EcoBoost-type’ engines could Ford be developing for the Mustang?
The 2.3L Ecoboost with 350hp and AWD, like the Focus RS?

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3
The 2.3L Ecoboost with 350hp and AWD, like the Focus RS?
I read somewhere that the new 7th gen Mustang will share pieces with the new RWD based Explorer... Whether or not that is factual or not remains to be seen. But an AWD Mustang might not be out of the realm of possibilities if it is the case...

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I read somewhere that the new 7th gen Mustang will share pieces with the new RWD based Explorer... Whether or not that is factual or not remains to be seen. But an AWD Mustang might not be out of the realm of possibilities if it is the case...
The 7th Gen S650 is expected to utilise the CD6 architecture (note "architecture" and not direct "platform".....make of that what you will). I'm looking forward to seeing someone crawl under a production '20 Explorer or Aviator to see what the suspension looks like as, when the Aviator concept was shown, someone did that and it was very similar to the current S550 under there.....

Bullit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus Ct200
With a 350hp and AWD Ford could compete with Camaro V6 340hp and Challenger AWD.

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
With a 350hp and AWD Ford could compete with Camaro V6 340hp and Challenger AWD.

350hp all wheel drive Mustang would be great but camaro is dead and Challenger is a barge no competition.

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Here's what they need to do:

Keep the one 2.3L turbo, maybe tweak it a touch 320-330HP (but not for an additional cost to the consumer)

Then, start using the Bullitt spec package in all GTs @ 480HP - or - possibly start using the 5.2 in a CPC config, maybe with the GT350 intake/TB setup, and you're looking at 490+ HP GT

For the 3rd option, easy, the new 3.0L V6 TT Ecoboost going in the 2020 Explorer. Tuned to somewhere between the Sport's 365HP and the ST spec's 400HP.

They could have a lineup that looked like, 2.3L @ 310-315, 3.0L @ 375-385, 5.0L @ 475-480 (and then possibly a 5.2L @ 500-510HP). Then bias the content a touch, so the V6TT and V8GT "base" models get a few more bells and whistles, and the 2.3L base is really a super stripped, entry level, but still performance capable Mustang (and there's decent package + performance differences at the various price tiers).

Nothing you just said will happen, Ford isn’t going use a 5.2 in any form in a plain Jane mustang GT,

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I could not pass on the 3.7L ‘17. It is the best driving value Detroit has built.
Ford dressed it down to lean sales toward the 2.3 Turbo. I drove the Turbo.
I felt the V6 had more gut. The V6 is de-tuned to position the I4-Turbo as the #2 engine choice.
Having said that, the car I have with 6 Spd AT is a true sports car. I am blown away satisfied.

Uptune the V6 with twin turbo, 10 spd AT, premium packages and you have a hot pony to sell.
This will not happen because the 5.0 V8 is a Mustang identity thing, Such a V6 may eclipse
the 5.0L. My point: rather than amping-up the 2.3L keep it as option 3 for high mpg buyers,
reintroduce 3.7LV6 in a natural aspiration performance configuration as option 2.

The 3.7L TiVCT V6 is underrated, overlooked, and the best engine Ford builds.

ford_100233891_l.jpg

Fuck the 3.7

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007GT & 2017V6_ great Steeda & AM mods
Fuck the 3.7
I will try to respond to that elegance. An auto builder likes smoke coming out of the smoke stack and cars loading at the rail head.
The NA 3.7 created a $24k Mustang with the $1300 AT. Go find a current build equivalent 2 door coupe at $24k, then tell me what you bought.
The 3.7 is by far not the best HP, TQ, 60 foot time. 60 mph time, 0-100 time, or 1/4 mi time. It is the best owner experience in a performance car
I can find. Overall price, mpg, handling, go fast numbers, insurance, maintenance, taxes, longevity, design, and build quality. No ticks in the 3.7.
Drive what you like or go get in line with the 3.7.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I will try to respond to that elegance. An auto builder likes smoke coming out of the smoke stack and cars loading at the rail head.
The NA 3.7 created a $24k Mustang with the $1300 AT. Go find a current build equivalent 2 door coupe at $24k, then tell me what you bought.
The 3.7 is by far not the best HP, TQ, 60 foot time. 60 mph time, 0-100 time, or 1/4 mi time. It is the best owner experience in a performance car
I can find. Overall price, mpg, handling, go fast numbers, insurance, maintenance, taxes, longevity, design, and build quality. No ticks in the 3.7.
Drive what you like or go get in line with the 3.7.
To be honest, I would have seriously considered the 3.7 if they offered it for the 18-19's. It's a little lighter, and a little better on gas. I drive spirited, and I don;'t race at all. I considered the 2.3L, but I just couldn't get over the horrid exhaust. At least the V6 has a nice tone. That, and I've seen a few guys now install the 3.5L Ecoboost turbos on a 3.7L, and it works pretty good with proper tuning. They can push them to roughly 430-450HPO without killing them. So, you can get V8 power out of a much less expensive engine. To be honest, I wish Eaton made a supercharger for the 3.7L with updated rods, etc. That would be an interesting setup.
Sponsored