Sponsored

Ford will offer a third engine (more powerful 2.3L EcoBoost) to 2020 Mustang lineup

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
I will try to respond to that elegance. An auto builder likes smoke coming out of the smoke stack and cars loading at the rail head.
The NA 3.7 created a $24k Mustang with the $1300 AT. Go find a current build equivalent 2 door coupe at $24k, then tell me what you bought.
The 3.7 is by far not the best HP, TQ, 60 foot time. 60 mph time, 0-100 time, or 1/4 mi time. It is the best owner experience in a performance car
I can find. Overall price, mpg, handling, go fast numbers, insurance, maintenance, taxes, longevity, design, and build quality. No ticks in the 3.7.
Drive what you like or go get in line with the 3.7.
I think you bring up some good points when talking about cost versus fun.

I got in my 2016 V6 with 4300 miles (practically brand new) for just over 20k. As a daily driver, 300 hp and 280lb torque is plenty for me. I think we as car enthusiasts get caught up in the gotta have more, gotta have better craze, and thats fine, but when you're just talking about the cost of ownership with a sports car, the V6 is a great option. Its why my wife and I decided on it over other cars. To be honest, I think each engine has its merits, and benefits, and no engine should be looked over. Especially by other Mustang enthusiasts.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Actually, it makes sense to bring back an affordable V6, especially if they are coming out with a 4-door sedan version for customers who want a true sports sedan that may be more practical.
Look for an AWD 4-door version to compete with Audi A7, and dare I say a wagon version like the the older Charger.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I think you just invented the Taurus SHO.
They're looking for a way to do just that, but in a more common platform. Taurus and Fusion both, were kind of on their own, from what I remember. In fact, I think it's been mentioned that the new Explorer will have some commonalities with Mustang as well. The more commonalities in the platform they can make, the easier it is to manufacture and make more affordable.

One of the big complaints among mid-life buyers of the Taurus SHO, is that it had lots of performance, but was terrible in the "sporty looks" department. It looked like a car made for elderly men, and not 40+ who still have families, but want a more sporty big sedan without spending $60k-$90K for a 5/7-Series or A7.

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
They are not going to build a 4 door sedan version of the Mustang! The "Mach 1" (actually now more likely Mach E) is going to be an electric (not gas/electric hybrid) SUV......inspired by the Mustang

This is a VERY early powertrain mule for the Mach E (it's using a hacked up Escape at the 'mo). Checkout the thin horizontal platform between the wheels....that house the batteries. The exhaust is fake.

6398b5d01b4d23f58cbffaad8f8b3a15.jpg

7423abf7ca1be96ba194d4f4c798ffe0.jpg

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007GT & 2017V6_ great Steeda & AM mods
They are not going to build a 4 door sedan version of the Mustang! The "Mach 1" (actually now more likely Mach E) is going to be an electric (not gas/electric hybrid) SUV......inspired by the Mustang

This is a VERY early powertrain mule for the Mach E (it's using a hacked up Escape at the 'mo). Checkout the thin horizontal platform between the wheels....that house the batteries. The exhaust is fake.

7423abf7ca1be96ba194d4f4c798ffe0.jpg
It is vehicles like this (above) that make me give thanks everyday for the Ford Mustang.

Here is the way uh-huh uh-huh I like it.

Ilikeit.JPG

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I will try to respond to that elegance. An auto builder likes smoke coming out of the smoke stack and cars loading at the rail head.
The NA 3.7 created a $24k Mustang with the $1300 AT. Go find a current build equivalent 2 door coupe at $24k, then tell me what you bought.
The 3.7 is by far not the best HP, TQ, 60 foot time. 60 mph time, 0-100 time, or 1/4 mi time. It is the best owner experience in a performance car
I can find. Overall price, mpg, handling, go fast numbers, insurance, maintenance, taxes, longevity, design, and build quality. No ticks in the 3.7.
Drive what you like or go get in line with the 3.7.
I agree the 3.7 is a good engine and a Mustang with the 3.7 is a lot of fun to drive. I had a 2011 Mustang with the 3.7 and 6 speed. I used to love chirping the tires on the 2-3 upshift at over 50 mph.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I agree the 3.7 is a good engine and a Mustang with the 3.7 is a lot of fun to drive. I had a 2011 Mustang with the 3.7 and 6 speed. I used to love chirping the tires on the 2-3 upshift at over 50 mph.
Agreed. The 2015+ 3.7, had it been available with more options, would've definitely stolen a good share of 2.3L sales. That engine with the 3.55 axle is pretty darn fun to drive.

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3
In all honesty, I have no interest in Turbo cars for a daily driver, it is just more things to go wrong. I would prefer a 6 over a turbo 4 almost any day of the week. I see Ecoboost 4's with issues, and the 5.0 with issues, but not many issues with the 6 cyl... maybe because I have not looked, but it seems that it was a reliable powerplant...

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007GT & 2017V6_ great Steeda & AM mods
In all honesty, I have no interest in Turbo cars for a daily driver, it is just more things to go wrong. I would prefer a 6 over a turbo 4 almost any day of the week. I see Ecoboost 4's with issues, and the 5.0 with issues, but not many issues with the 6 cyl... maybe because I have not looked, but it seems that it was a reliable powerplant...
There is a song "I started out with nothing and still have most of it left" I started out with little, my first car was towed home. Back in the 60s 70s overheating was always a problem. Today auto technology is off the charts better, but, I shy from turbo and super chargers only because I worry about heat, the old time problem. Maybe I should trust new tech, those that do are having a lot of fun. But really, the new tech has done a great deal for natural A also. When back in the US from 2.5 years of sea duty-Navy, I swung my first new ca,r a 1970 Mustang Mach 1 351 Cleveland 4v, shaker hood scoop. Either one of the 300 HP Mustangs I have today will walk away from that Mach 1 with half the engine heat, twice the gas mileage, and better numbers across the board. NA 3.7 or 5.0 are just fine. there is always more but, the 3.7 liter is sweet spot in the world of engines. It gets concrete cracking hot in the summer. I would super or turbo charge for competition, but not for DD.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Daily Driving you can choose any car, so there is little desire for a NA v6 engine in a Mustang.