Ford Racing ProCal Tune

TurboStang18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost MT, PP, 101A, Spoiler Delete
Just got off the phone with FRPP tech support, they are cool by the way.
The JSON error is on their end, they are working to fix it and will get back to me when the Cali download issue is resolved.
Sponsored

lawrencecar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost PP
Just got off the phone with FRPP tech support, they are cool by the way.
The JSON error is on their end, they are working to fix it and will get back to me when the Cali download issue is resolved.
cool.. are you installing yourself or just downloading in preparation for tech install?

TurboStang18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
cool.. are you installing yourself or just downloading in preparation for tech install?
I'm installing it myself, I'm ASE certified and I have a good relationship with my dealer, not concerned with having any issues regarding warranty. Chatted with FRPP again, they are hoping to have the issue resolved by the end of today, but it may be longer. The issue is not just with my file, its something on their end, so others are effected. I will post again when it's resolved and I get the file downloaded on the car.

lawrencecar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost PP
Nice, dont forget to register warranty with frp when complete

Kboeh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack, 2019 Mustang Ecoboost performance Pack, 1978 Pontiac Trans Am
So if any ASE certified tech can do the install, anyone know of one in the South Atlanta Metro area? I do not want to go to the dealer for it cause I know they will try to charge me an arm and a leg for it.

Sponsored

RichBrew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue EBPP
Vehicle Showcase
So if any ASE certified tech can do the install, anyone know of one in the South Atlanta Metro area? I do not want to go to the dealer for it cause I know they will try to charge me an arm and a leg for it.
Look for an Atlanta s550 Facebook group and ask there. I believe there are a few Ford techs in that group. There are other groups in the area too, but thatā€™s the largest.

RichBrew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue EBPP
Vehicle Showcase
Look for an Atlanta s550 Facebook group and ask there. I believe there are a few Ford techs in that group. There are other groups in the area too, but thatā€™s the largest.
Never mind, I see you already did. :)

TurboStang18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
FRPP has revised ProCal today. The download issue is fixed. Downloaded calibration file no problem and flashed it this evening. Just a heads up for anyone doing it on their own.Mid way through the reflash, after the stock tune is saved, you will be asked to "Turn power module off" then "turn power to module on" to flash new tune. The "Module" is just the ignition power button.
The tune feels good so far, only put about 10 miles on it. I guess it needs to learn the octane even though I've never run anything but 93 since taking delivery, and "Octane Adjust" and "Profile Learning" are set to off in ProCal config. Off was the default, but I checked to make sure.
Also, if you're running stock tire size and gearing, no need to do anything with those either, those parameters are populated to what's stock for your VIN#.
I wouldn't compare it to COBB stage 1 or 2 until I have driven if for a week or so, just to make sure everything that needs to be learned is learned, and I've had enough time to make a fair comparison.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Wow, even Ford knows their original intake is better than the one they shipped with the original Eco-boost power pack. That intake must have been for marketing purposes.... Hmm, but why the K&N? I guess K&N filters really don't void your warranty.
My understanding on why you don't get the GT350 filter bucket with the 18/19 kit is it doesn't fit under the lower hood line of the 18/19s. The GT350 bucket seals against the bottom side of the hood so a lower hood line can cause unacceptable interference.

Also, I have been using K&N filters for over 30 years and have never heard of one voiding a warranty.

All that being said there is as much evidence that CAI or drop in filters make no difference as there is that they do.

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
My understanding on why you don't get the GT350 filter bucket with the 18/19 kit is it doesn't fit under the lower hood line of the 18/19s. The GT350 bucket seals against the bottom side of the hood so a lower hood line can cause unacceptable interference.

Also, I have been using K&N filters for over 30 years and have never heard of one voiding a warranty.

All that being said there is as much evidence that CAI or drop in filters make no difference as there is that they do.
That's what FP told me as well - the 2017 GT350 air filter didn't fit the 2018's. I asked about the 2018 GT350 filter, but they didn't answer my question. Oh well, I don't mind leaving something in place that works just fine.

Sponsored

FalconRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang EB
FRPP has revised ProCal today. The download issue is fixed. Downloaded calibration file no problem and flashed it this evening. Just a heads up for anyone doing it on their own.Mid way through the reflash, after the stock tune is saved, you will be asked to "Turn power module off" then "turn power to module on" to flash new tune. The "Module" is just the ignition power button.
The tune feels good so far, only put about 10 miles on it. I guess it needs to learn the octane even though I've never run anything but 93 since taking delivery, and "Octane Adjust" and "Profile Learning" are set to off in ProCal config. Off was the default, but I checked to make sure.
Also, if you're running stock tire size and gearing, no need to do anything with those either, those parameters are populated to what's stock for your VIN#.
I wouldn't compare it to COBB stage 1 or 2 until I have driven if for a week or so, just to make sure everything that needs to be learned is learned, and I've had enough time to make a fair comparison.
Why they have the screen say "Turn power module off" and not just "Turn car off" I canā€™t think of a good reason. If you read the downloadable pdf there is a step in there where it says for you turn your car off. For those who got too excited and did not read the last step ford performance made their setup smart enough that if you unplug the usb thinking that it will turn the power off to the OBD2 module it does not brick your car. Seems like that could be added to the on screen text string.

Thanks for answering my question on VIN and specks. I was not sure if I needed to adjust tire size or rear diff info because of the performance pack option or if it knows that from the VIN.

Last edited:

Kboeh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack, 2019 Mustang Ecoboost performance Pack, 1978 Pontiac Trans Am

Then explain the Bullitt mustang for 2019? It has the same GT350 filter.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Then explain the Bullitt mustang for 2019? It has the same GT350 filter.
It may have a different housing, but I'm just guessing

Kboeh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
It may have a different housing, but I'm just guessing
Possibly, I think the main reason why Ford is only sending the K&N filter is just for profit margin. 15-17 Ecoboost $699 MSRP on the kit with the GT350 Filter vs $635 for the 18-19 kit with the K&N. By seeing negligible gains between the two, they increase their profit margin by taking out a part that costs them much more to produce. Again, just speculation, but this is what I would do if I was Ford.

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Possibly, I think the main reason why Ford is only sending the K&N filter is just for profit margin. 15-17 Ecoboost $699 MSRP on the kit with the GT350 Filter vs $635 for the 18-19 kit with the K&N. By seeing negligible gains between the two, they increase their profit margin by taking out a part that costs them much more to produce. Again, just speculation, but this is what I would do if I was Ford.

The Ford tech I messaged with said that the ā€˜17 GT350 filter assembly didnā€™t fit the ā€˜18ā€™s, and didnā€™t respond to my question about the ā€˜18 GT350 assembly...
Sponsored