Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
Learned a few things from Ford Performance today. Some is just a confirmation and elaboration of what others have already been told.

1. Posted performance numbers are to the flywheel
  2. OK to run 87 octane
  3. Drive cycle = 3 50-75 MPH pulls in 3rd or 4th gear @ 50% throttle.

This is what he sent me, he got this from the engineer.
Just wanted to pass some info on to you guys about this cal.

When I did this cal I decided to give the spark octane modifier range of authority to learn down to 87 pump gas so the owner could run whatever fuel he wanted. Of course he will only get the gains advertised if he runs premium fuel. Our calibrations in the past had no range of authority on this modifier and always gave you the maximum spark advance for premium fuel.

So…if someone flashes in our cal and doesn’t allow the modifier to learn premium his spark will be retarded anywhere from 2-7 degrees from what it should be for premium fuel…hence his numbers will be lower.

To learn the fuel octane I’m told you can Perform three 50-75 moderate accels (50% pedal) in 3rd or 4th gear.

I am going to have the website modified to remove the statement that premium is required and add a disclaimer that the gains will not be optimized until fuel octane is learned.
Hopefully this helps others that have gotten the tune to get the most out of it as quickly as possible.
So, I wonder if there are any gains over stock on 87 or 89 gas... Does the Focus RS require 93 in stock form? It is awesome to know that in a pinch, you can run regular.
Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
So, I wonder if there are any gains over stock on 87 or 89 gas... Does the Focus RS require 93 in stock form? It is awesome to know that in a pinch, you can run regular.
I'm 100% sure that there are still gains with 87 or 89 over the stock tune using the same octane gas. They are just saying you won't have the advertised performance gains they require 91 octane for. I also imagine from what the engineer said, the sluggish performance people are experiencing when they first load their tune is what you'd get with 87.

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I also imagine from what the engineer said, the sluggish performance people are experiencing when they first load their tune is what you'd get with 87.
I think there's more to it; to further elaborate on what I posted earlier today after having the tune installed, it almost shuts off midway up the rpm range when on the throttle (even moreso than what it would do in snow/wet mode)... enough hesitation that I actually lunged forward in the seat the first time it happened. I'd be real pissed off if that's what it did on 87 octane. It's learning something... I've now put another 25 miles on it with a few 50-75% pulls and its already waking up. I'll drive it at least another 100 miles tomorrow while making my rounds at work and hopefully that will give me a better idea what it will feel like when it finishes dialing in.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
I think there's more to it; to further elaborate on what I posted earlier today after having the tune installed, it almost shuts off midway up the rpm range when on the throttle (even moreso than what it would do in snow/wet mode)... enough hesitation that I actually lunged forward in the seat the first time it happened. I'd be real pissed off if that's what it did on 87 octane. It's learning something... I've now put another 25 miles on it with a few 50-75% pulls and its already waking up. I'll drive it at least another 100 miles tomorrow while making my rounds at work and hopefully that will give me a better idea what it will feel like when it finishes dialing in.
Wow, that's interesting and surprising they would do anything that severe for the learning process. I'm not sure what that would be but it does sound like more than just the learning from 87 to 91+. One thing I'm certain of is it has absolutely nothing to do with the number of miles driven. Anyone that knows anything about ECUs, their adaptive tables and learning, knows about drive cycles. It's all about satisfying the necessary drive cycles to satisfy the ECU. A good example is the readiness test for emissions. If anyone isn't familiar with that, google Ford drive cycle instructions. That gives you an idea of the types of things the ECU wants to see. In this case, he specifically mentions the spark octane modifier. I'm sure there is more than that 1 table that needs to be satisfied. I was hoping to get a complete drive cycle to finish the learning. That way we'd know for sure when it is done. Anyone that thinks they can just go out and drive for 200 miles down the highway at cruise and have this completed will be sorely disappointed though.

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang Ecoboost premium
Did a 0-30 pull at 2.5 seconds today, best with stock was 2.8. I am sure others can do faster but it shows me that the FP is quicker :D.

I am sure I can do better and will try and run a couple over the next week.

Sponsored

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Premium in my area is 93 octane and midgrade is 89, so I filled up half and half to make 91 octane. If it helps the drive cycle analysis for the tune I might top up tomorrow morning with 93 to up the octane a bit to 92 or more. I wonder if that matters, or will it make no difference whether its 91, 92, or 93?

PS: my 100+ mile drive tomorrow will include several legs on a local interstate hwy where I plan to do many 50-75% pulls in 3rd and 4th gear. I expect that to finish the learning curve for the tune (?)

4bangin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost deep impact blue
The higher the better,93 is tottaly fine even 100oct would good. I talked to fp about it, the hp#s for the tune on fords web is on 93oct.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Learned a few things from Ford Performance today. Some is just a confirmation and elaboration of what others have already been told.

1. Posted performance numbers are to the flywheel
  2. OK to run 87 octane
  3. Drive cycle = 3 50-75 MPH pulls in 3rd or 4th gear @ 50% throttle.

This is what he sent me, he got this from the engineer.

Just wanted to pass some info on to you guys about this cal.

When I did this cal I decided to give the spark octane modifier range of authority to learn down to 87 pump gas so the owner could run whatever fuel he wanted. Of course he will only get the gains advertised if he runs premium fuel. Our calibrations in the past had no range of authority on this modifier and always gave you the maximum spark advance for premium fuel.

So…if someone flashes in our cal and doesn’t allow the modifier to learn premium his spark will be retarded anywhere from 2-7 degrees from what it should be for premium fuel…hence his numbers will be lower.

To learn the fuel octane I’m told you can Perform three 50-75 moderate accels (50% pedal) in 3rd or 4th gear.

I am going to have the website modified to remove the statement that premium is required and add a disclaimer that the gains will not be optimized until fuel octane is learned.

Hopefully this helps others that have gotten the tune to get the most out of it as quickly as possible.
Interesting... I think they updated the website already:

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-M4

Calibration features:
  • Peak gains of 25hp at ~5500rpm and 70lbs/ft at ~2200rpm
  • 40hp and 60lbs/ft average gain from 2500-5000rpm
  • 75hp and 64lbs/ft average gain from 5500-6800rpm
  • 100hp maximum gain at ~6000rpm
  • Horsepower and torque gains throughout the powerband
  • Exclusive Ford Performance warranty when dealer installed
  • Allows gear ratio changes up to 4.09:1
  • Automatic calibrations feature optimized performance shift schedule
  • Horsepower and torque gains will not be optimized until fuel octane is learned.

If we can run 87 then this is THE TUNE to beat... that would save me some money on hwy driving. That would be great.... I'll have to verify with my FP guy... seems like the truth though.

Then again, not even sure I'd run 87... except in emergencies. Nice to have the option.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Interesting... I think they updated the website already:

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-M4

Calibration features:
  • Peak gains of 25hp at ~5500rpm and 70lbs/ft at ~2200rpm
  • 40hp and 60lbs/ft average gain from 2500-5000rpm
  • 75hp and 64lbs/ft average gain from 5500-6800rpm
  • 100hp maximum gain at ~6000rpm
  • Horsepower and torque gains throughout the powerband
  • Exclusive Ford Performance warranty when dealer installed
  • Allows gear ratio changes up to 4.09:1
  • Automatic calibrations feature optimized performance shift schedule
  • Horsepower and torque gains will not be optimized until fuel octane is learned.

If we can run 87 then this is THE TUNE to beat... that would save me some money on hwy driving. That would be great.... I'll have to verify with my FP guy... seems like the truth though.

Then again, not even sure I'd run 87... except in emergencies. Nice to have the option.
Wow, that was fast! At least they've changed the HTML on their parts page. They still haven't changed the warranty itself though which is the legal document. I'm sure even if they don't change it, they wouldn't fight it. In the warranty it says,

"Premium Fuel Requirement: Customers who purchase power upgrade packs, cold air kits with calibration,
TracKey/Track Cal engine calibrations, or superchargers are required to use 91-octane or higher (“premium”)
fuels at all times. Any failures associated with the non-use of premium fuel will be ineligible for warranty repair."​

I'm with you, I wouldn't run 87 unless it is an emergency like I was running on empty and the only gas station around only had 87. I have always used 93 and will continue to do so.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
The higher the better,93 is tottaly fine even 100oct would good. I talked to fp about it, the hp#s for the tune on fords web is on 93oct.
^^ This!

93 is where the testing was done, where you will get those numbers. Octane is the resistance to burn or ignite. So the higher the octane, the less likely it will pre-ignite. 91 octane is just the low limit for most Ford Performance power packs and superchargers. I think the only reason they allowed it to go down to 91 is in some areas they don't have 93 and 91 is the highest available at regular gas stations.

Sponsored

4bangin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost deep impact blue
They want the tune to be 50state legal,emissions in some states can be tuff like California.and places like that only have 91 and there 91 is low grade

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I'll be using 93 then unless it's an emergency. I bought the tune, might as well enjoy everything it has to offer.

Concerning using 87 as an option to save money on road trips, I would be very careful about that. If you do, take it easy with your right foot. Remember this tune takes several miles to learn the octane and adjust accordingly. If you've been using 93 and drop by your local station to fill up on 87 at the start of your road trip to see the family, and then floor it on the entrance ramp... remember the tune still thinks you've got 93 in the tank while you're hitting the throttle with 87. Something to think about.

TrueBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PP
Good to see they updated the info on the kit. I thought something was wrong when I installed it and they did not know why I didn't see immediate gains. I had several conversations and then my car came alive at 200 miles. I shared all that info with them. Really had me guessing this kit purchase at first. I love it now but now I am used to this power increase and I want more.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
I'll be using 93 then unless it's an emergency. I bought the tune, might as well enjoy everything it has to offer.

Concerning using 87 as an option to save money on road trips, I would be very careful about that. If you do, take it easy with your right foot. Remember this tune takes several miles to learn the octane and adjust accordingly. If you've been using 93 and drop by your local station to fill up on 87 at the start of your road trip to see the family, and then floor it on the entrance ramp... remember the tune still thinks you've got 93 in the tank while you're hitting the throttle with 87. Something to think about.
I agree with you 1000%... good for pointing that out for someone who might not know.

For a while I'd more than likely drive in "snow/rain" mode for a while.

It is nice having the option... although, most other tuners say you can can drive with 87, just don't wot and stay out of turbo the entire time (or they have a map that, from what I understand, turns down boost).

Nice to know FP tune is built for it.

Last edited:

Myfirst4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium
To those of you with the tune, thanks for posting impressions and reviews. I am looking for some additional high rpm power gains that are CARB legal and this seems to be a great route.

Curious about the desire to run cheap low octane gas in any turbo car (other than in an emergency, when a station is out of premium). Locally premium fuel is about 30 cents a gallon higher than 87 octane.

10K miles, getting 25 mpg, at $2.50 per gallon is $1000
10K miles, getting 25 mpg, at $2.80 per gallon is $1120

I would gladly pay the extra $120 every 10,000 miles for the additional performance and piece of mind/lack of detonation. Even if you drive double those miles per year (20,000) it works out to only be a $20 per month increase.
Sponsored