Sponsored

Ford Performance Tune for 2018+ GT

thirdoptik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT - Performance Pack
Anyone else with this kit getting mild engine knock on 91 octane? Occasionally happens getting on the gas between 2.5K and 3K RPMS only, going from 2nd to 3rd. It's there and gone as I pass through that RPM range. Only hearing it for a fraction of a second. If I don't pay attention or I have the windows up, I may not hear it. I've noticed it maybe half a dozen times only on this first and only tank of gas from Costco. Last year I was driving on 94 octane which has up to 10% ethanol. Never heard any knocking. This year, due to the insanity of gas prices I switched to 91 with no ethanol. Should I top off my half tank with 94 or run it down to empty and then fill with 94 and observe for signs of knock?

Has anyone used the Procal to data log? Or to see if the PCM is pulling timing or the knock sensors are being triggered?

I've heard the the sound from 2 to 3k are injectors kicking in and not a problem to worry about. Can't remember where I read it in the forums. Also, heard the the Calibration Kit tune will not alleviate that issue because it's normal. As far as gas; personally, I would not invest in Costco, Sam's, or Wal-Mart fuel. I uses Shell V-Power 93 Octane and it does my 5.0 well. Try better fuel after you run that out. I too have the sound very slightly that you speak of an no performance losses. I only run 93. We have plenty in our region is why
Sponsored

bryyce62

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G dub
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
Todd,

I have not heard any ping since getting the kit/tune. But I've only got a few hundred miles on it since the switch.
I add a Boostane shot with every tank. I can only get 91 here in NorCal. Shell V Power when filling up.

Rob911

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2021 or 2022 Mustang
I read somewhere on the forums that the Ford performance tune/calibration (with throttle body and CIA) is not compatible with the 2022 GTs. We shall see, my 2022 goes in next Tueday to the ford dealer for the install.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I've heard the the sound from 2 to 3k are injectors kicking in and not a problem to worry about. Can't remember where I read it in the forums. Also, heard the the Calibration Kit tune will not alleviate that issue because it's normal. As far as gas; personally, I would not invest in Costco, Sam's, or Wal-Mart fuel. I uses Shell V-Power 93 Octane and it does my 5.0 well. Try better fuel after you run that out. I too have the sound very slightly that you speak of an no performance losses. I only run 93. We have plenty in our region is why
The 2K injector noise (rattle) is something different. What I am getting is a knocking or pinging sound as it's called. I have heard the 2K injector noise, it's not what I am hearing. When the knocking noise is heard, it quickly disappears even if I hold the throttle position. Probably the gas like you said.

Todd,

I have not heard any ping since getting the kit/tune. But I've only got a few hundred miles on it since the switch.
I add a Boostane shot with every tank. I can only get 91 here in NorCal. Shell V Power when filling up.
What sort of octane rating do you obtain with the Boostane?

Sponsored

thirdoptik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT - Performance Pack
The 2K injector noise (rattle) is something different. What I am getting is a knocking or pinging sound as it's called. I have heard the 2K injector noise, it's not what I am hearing. When the knocking noise is heard, it quickly disappears even if I hold the throttle position. Probably the gas like you said.

What sort of octane rating do you obtain with the Boostane?
Overall how are you liking the kit? I have an extended warranty and am on the fence between getting this kit or going Lund NA with the possibility of LTH's and E85 or Flex tune for my ceiling of performance work for the engine.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Overall how are you liking the kit? I have an extended warranty and am on the fence between getting this kit or going Lund NA with the possibility of LTH's and E85 or Flex tune for my ceiling of performance work for the engine.
I love it other than discovering it's apparent preference for more than 91 octane. It gives the car the added oomph that Bullit and Mach1 owners get. I didn't even entertain the thought of E85 as it's non-existent where I live. Others will say that will net you greater performance if you're willing to forego the warranty.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I have had this tune and then switched to Lund Flex/E85. If I was doing it again, I wouldn't think longer than 2 second and going straight to Lund.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I and many others in this thread have commented on this ford kit, and overwhelmingly it is great for those looking for some improvements and a little more power while staying in a safe/warranty friendly zone.

Dans18GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have had this tune and then switched to Lund Flex/E85. If I was doing it again, I wouldn't think longer than 2 second and going straight to Lund.
Does the Lund tune include the larger throttle body and cold air intake that comes with the Ford Performance kit?

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Does the Lund tune include the larger throttle body and cold air intake that comes with the Ford Performance kit?
The tune would have to be written for it. Just like with any custom tuner you provide all mods and they supply a tune for them. Exception would be the FP tune as it's essentially a canned tune for that specific kit of mods.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Did you have to yank the CAI and larger TB off too?

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
If you're asking whether it accounts for that - yes - you list all the mods you have and they build it for it - make you log then revise if needed.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Nope. They can build the tune for the mods you have - not sure how much these actually change anything.
Interesting. Thats good to know. I wasn't really worried about the CAI, more the larger TB. BUT, its the Mach 1 setup, sooo its available to them anyways.
Sponsored