Sponsored

Ford Performance Tune for 2018+ GT

Superspirit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Question for anyone that has done this install themself. Is there some point in the registration/tuning part that asks for credentials? The shop I work in has an ASE certified tech. He will install it for me for free. I'm wondering if there is a way to confirm who installed the kit without a receipt.
Yes, you'll have to email a receipt for the kit and a copy of his ase certification. When you register for the warranty. That's the way I did mine, but it was my certification.
Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Question for anyone that has done this install themself. Is there some point in the registration/tuning part that asks for credentials? The shop I work in has an ASE certified tech. He will install it for me for free. I'm wondering if there is a way to confirm who installed the kit without a receipt.
Have them write you an invoice with "No Charge Installation" for zero dollars.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
As others said, either have him do a receipt for $0, or better yet just put the correct cost based on the shop rate. Ford doesn't check to see that you actually paid the invoice, just that you got one from a legit shop.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
It is interesting that Ford can specify the kit must be installed by an ASE certified technician in order to maintain the warranty. It is probably as bogus as specifying that we have to get the oil changed by an ASE certified technician.
I will probably not test this idea as my Mustang is almost at it's third birthday anyway but the whole idea just seems wrong.

Marsalad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mazda MX-5
I had the FP Stage 2 tune on my 2017 GT and was very pleased with the performance. Now I have a 2020 GT and compared to the 2017 it feels much weaker below 5000 rpm. I know some of this is a result of the transmission gearing changes but was wondering if the equivalent tune on my 2020 would provide the same results as before.

Does anyone have direct experience with both versions?

For reference, the 2017 had the Performance Package and the 2020 is a PP2 so the rear axle ratio is the same.

Sponsored

raab02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP2
Another happy customer chiming in. For the record this went on an '18 6MT PP2 car.

Had the kit on for about a week and couldn't agree more that this is the best "hit the easy button" solution that I researched.

I didn't dyno or note MPG in detail before, but I can definitely feel a difference in the way the car drives. As others have pointed out, not only is it more responsive and peppier, but the throttle just responds so much more... intuitively? I've been driving manual cars for over 20 years and have always felt this car to be a little off. This tune corrects that for me, and now the throttle and clutch interaction feel so much more natural.

Definitely enjoying the subtle growl I get when jumping on the throttle. I have also noticed the way the traction control seems less intrusive on first gear hits.

There really aren't many negatives, but here are a few nitpicks. @cosmo73 is catching some heat, but I agree with the few fitment issues that were pointed out. Overall not a huge deal and very easy to install, but I'd hope for slightly better. I had to open up some wiring tape to get enough MAF clearance, seems like some don't. Still way worth it.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd skip my JLT catch cans and order the relocation kit from @StangTime and FRPP separator kit. For now, switching the hoses on the JLT kit is working, but I don't love that it's just dangling. I'm definitely going to keep an eye on it, but will probably just live with it if it continues to be OK.

I was also hoping this would quiet my 2k rattle as others have pointed out, but no such luck. Maybe it's a liiitttle bit quieter when warm? But definitely not gone or significantly improved.

Still very, very worth it.

quikcolin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
Another happy customer chiming in. For the record this went on an '18 6MT PP2 car.

Had the kit on for about a week and couldn't agree more that this is the best "hit the easy button" solution that I researched.

I didn't dyno or note MPG in detail before, but I can definitely feel a difference in the way the car drives. As others have pointed out, not only is it more responsive and peppier, but the throttle just responds so much more... intuitively? I've been driving manual cars for over 20 years and have always felt this car to be a little off. This tune corrects that for me, and now the throttle and clutch interaction feel so much more natural.

Definitely enjoying the subtle growl I get when jumping on the throttle. I have also noticed the way the traction control seems less intrusive on first gear hits.

There really aren't many negatives, but here are a few nitpicks. @cosmo73 is catching some heat, but I agree with the few fitment issues that were pointed out. Overall not a huge deal and very easy to install, but I'd hope for slightly better. I had to open up some wiring tape to get enough MAF clearance, seems like some don't. Still way worth it.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd skip my JLT catch cans and order the relocation kit from @StangTime and FRPP separator kit. For now, switching the hoses on the JLT kit is working, but I don't love that it's just dangling. I'm definitely going to keep an eye on it, but will probably just live with it if it continues to be OK.

I was also hoping this would quiet my 2k rattle as others have pointed out, but no such luck. Maybe it's a liiitttle bit quieter when warm? But definitely not gone or significantly improved.

Still very, very worth it.
I’m even more excited about his install after reading your review. I also have a 2020 PP2 and look forward to all the benefits you experienced.

its winter here inOntario Canada, but come spring I’ll lug up that Ford performance box from the basement and get it installed.

I’d like to echo going there @StangTime route and purchasing his FP oil separator relocation kit (I did).

Happy New Year, everyone

cosmo73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Grabber Blue A10
The kit isn't tuned for L/T headers so it wouldn't be great.
Agreed. Had Stainless Works LT’s on my last Mustang and they needed their own separate(preferably custom) tune. You certainly could add the intake and TB while doing LT’s and then have your tuner go to work. A canned tune simply won’t work well at all and could cause some serious problems with A/F ratios. Just my .02

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Has anyone tried long tube headers with this kit? If so what was the outcome?
Most people who do this kit don't do additional mods or tune changes since it requires a new tuning device, new tuner, likely reverting tb to stock. The kit is more one and done for those who won't be requiring additional mods in the future and who place more priority on warranty friendly than actual performance gains. Like any other solution pros and cons will depend on the individual.

Superspirit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Funny every time I mention this tune and headers I get can't be done from several people. However in the long tube headers thread several people have stated that their tuners have told them they don't need a tune revision for long tubes. Would really like an answer from someone who has actual tuning experience or has tried headers with this tune.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
I think the issue is you just won't be getting the max out of the effort of installing LTs without a tune. Can you put LTs without a new tune? Yes, but it won't be optimal regardless of the FR kit. I saw some dyno runs before and after and to be frank a tune probably really isn't needed to get full effect of the LTs especially if you are still running cats.

Last edited:

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Funny every time I mention this tune and headers I get can't be done from several people. However in the long tube headers thread several people have stated that their tuners have told them they don't need a tune revision for long tubes. Would really like an answer from someone who has actual tuning experience or has tried headers with this tune.
You've gotten an answer from both threads so idk why it's "funny." You can run L/T headers without a tune but it won't run great and will require a tune to actually benefit from the L/T headers beyond sound. It's been that way since Ford switched to EFI on the foxbody back in 1986. Don't have an answer you like? Run it and report back. Be the master of your own destiny.

Beetlejuice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Does anyone have a close up picture of the throttle body and adapter with the air tube off? I'm looking into this and have a friend with one, but question if they installed the adapter upside down on his. I saw the instructions and the gasket tab is on the bottom. His is on the top. No idea if that matters. I'd like to see the way it looks up close.
Sponsored