Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like he installed the adapter 180 degrees out of phase.
And also, the new throttle body will be clocked a bit down to the left, that is the correct fit.
Sponsored

Beetlejuice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Sounds like he installed the adapter 180 degrees out of phase.
And also, the new throttle body will be clocked a bit down to the left, that is the correct fit.
The dealer istalled it for him, but doesn't surprise me if they did it wrong even with instructions. I did find a pic some pages back with the gasket tab facing down, but with the throttle body on it looks like his does and at an angle to the left.

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
Does anyone have a close up picture of the throttle body and adapter with the air tube off? I'm looking into this and have a friend with one, but question if they installed the adapter upside down on his. I saw the instructions and the gasket tab is on the bottom. His is on the top. No idea if that matters. I'd like to see the way it looks up close.
Here's mine during install. Tab was facing down.

IMG_1172.jpeg

Lbj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT. A10 auto
The tab facing down is ok but the carb tab is facing in a different location To avoid any type of air leak I would think

Beetlejuice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Here's mine during install. Tab was facing down.

IMG_1172.jpeg
OK yup his was installed with that tab facing up. Makes me wonder if being upside down is causing any issues. Even upside down the screw holes fit in the same places from the looks of it. Only difference is the gasket.

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Orientation is important. If I remember when I did mine I noticed the bore in the throttle body adapter wasn't perpendicular to the bolt axis. It is tapered at an angle to make a smooth transition with the intake manifold. The air flow may be affected in a negative way. I would rotate it to the proper position as shown.

Beetlejuice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Orientation is important. If I remember when I did mine I noticed the bore in the throttle body adapter wasn't perpendicular to the bolt axis. It is tapered at an angle to make a smooth transition with the intake manifold. The air flow may be affected in a negative way. I would rotate it to the proper position as shown.
He's going to fix it tomorrow. Hopefully the dealership didn't mess up the manifold. He doesn't want to take it back in fear they'll make things worse.
I told him if it is messed up then definitely take it back.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
He's going to fix it tomorrow. Hopefully the dealership didn't mess up the manifold. He doesn't want to take it back in fear they'll make things worse.
I told him if it is messed up then definitely take it back.
The manifold will be ok as long as they didn't over torque the bolts. Remove the air intake completely so it's out of the way otherwise he will be fighting with it. Make sure the torque specs from the instructions are followed closely when re installing the adapter and throttle body.

Beetlejuice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The manifold will be ok as long as they didn't over torque the bolts. Remove the air intake completely so it's out of the way otherwise he will be fighting with it. Make sure the torque specs from the instructions are followed closely when re installing the adapter and throttle body.
That's what would worry me the most. You know darn well they don't used torque wrenches if they can't even install it correctly even with instructions.

If for some reason theres damage to the throttle body itself and he has to replace it would the tune have to be re uploaded? Or because it's the same part just swap it?

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
That's what would worry me the most. You know darn well they don't used torque wrenches if they can't even install it correctly even with instructions.

If for some reason theres damage to the throttle body itself and he has to replace it would the tune have to be re uploaded? Or because it's the same part just swap it?
The intake manifold or the throttle body spacer threads "could" be damaged by over torqueing. A new intake manifold is the worst case scenario. The throttle body will be fine because it doesn't have threaded holes. The tune won't have to be re-loaded in any case.

Sponsored

Beetlejuice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The intake manifold or the throttle body spacer threads "could" be damaged by over torqueing. A new intake manifold is the worst case scenario. The throttle body will be fine because it doesn't have threaded holes. The tune won't have to be re-loaded in any case.
What size bits for the smaller adapter bolts are needed? I must be blind, not seeing it on the instructions. I'll run over tomorrow and help.
Also, it says stage 1 - 62 lb in torque for the throttle body hex bolts then stage 2, 60 degrees. So torque it to 62 lbs then turn 60 degrees? I understand that right?

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
What size bits for the smaller adapter bolts are needed? I must be blind, not seeing it on the instructions. I'll run over tomorrow and help.
Also, it says stage 1 - 62 lb in torque for the throttle body hex bolts then stage 2, 60 degrees. So torque it to 62 lbs then turn 60 degrees? I understand that right?
I don't recall what size the hex bit or hex nut bolt was.

You got it. Stage 1 torque to 62inlb and Stage 2 turn it 60 degrees tighter.
So, go around and torque each bolt to 62 and then go around again turning each one 60 degrees more.

Lost240

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Does anyone know of a good shop or dealer in CT that can do the install at a reasonable price?

Beetlejuice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Does anyone know how to get replacement bolts for the adapter or where online? The longer 25mm ones? Ford Performance doesn't write back and I can't find any store that has any near me. Amazon and home depot has ones that are a tad longer.

compprep

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1,1986 SVO, 2020 Ridgeline(SOLD!)
Does anyone know how to get replacement bolts for the adapter or where online?
Try McMaster-Carr?? They have 1,000's of bolts.
Sponsored