Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
so approx 190/900?

160/700 'ish?

Do we have more than supposition? How do we still not have hard data after 5 years?

Ford hasn’t released data that I know of, so it’s all guess work. The video I posted earlier has the Ford engineer who designed the X-spring state (paraphrasing), “they are slightly stiffer than OEM PP springs.” I think it’s safe to assume the Y springs fall in a similar scenario; just over the OEM GT350 spring rates and mated to rebranded “track” OEM GT350 dampers.

My SWAG:

170/740 — X

200/925 — Y
Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Y springs are similar in rates to OEM GT350 (non-R) springs, while X springs are similar in rates to OEM PP springs.

In your case, I wouldn’t jump ship from your street-pack dampers; give them some miles, then upgrade dampers when due.

When it’s time, I would pair Bilsteins with the X springs (and FP Track dampers with the Y for those reading along). These dampers are specifically calibrated for these springs and are very solid.
What model bilsteins do you recommend?

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
What model bilsteins do you recommend?
B6s — they are designed for OEM spring rates (and can handle more).

I’m not tracking other series available yet for the S550 outside of the full B16 suspension kit. If B8s ever come out, I would recommend these for lower ride height and higher spring rate cars.

Sigster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sig
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible
Check my sig. couldn’t be happier.
IPOGT, you have 2 mods in your signature that are on my short list - the FP Touring exhaust and the FP Brembo kit on my non PP convertible. Are you happy with those mods?

Regarding the suspension point of this thread - the base GT suspension is crap as we know. PP1 is debatable. I did the Steeda comfort suspension package which is lowering springs and struts/shocks. One and done I thought. But my installer cut the existing bumpstops and reused them. Handling great but ride sucked. Nervous and jittery. Just yesterday I went to a different shop and had the proper bump stops installed for a lowered suspension. That and the Steeda IRS subframe kit and K brace he installed have dramatically improved ride AND handling. Huge win for me. I mention this because these are not very expensive items. But I had to pay big money twice for labor to get things right. The more you can do at once, the better and cheaper. Lesson learned!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
On the flip side, the more you can do yourself, the less it matters to either spread the total job out or restrict yourself to "kits in a box".

Norm

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
the FP Touring exhaust
I have it but dispenced with the resonators and instead put the Steeda H-pipe in. It's a nice deep-tone rumble that is "enveloping" without being obnoxious or too loud. Unlike those sounds like utter ass, staccato blasts that are offensive like you get with so many other Mustang exhausts.

I went to a different shop and had the proper bump stops installed
elaborate? My Steeda 'comfort' experiment (progressive + pro-Active) was not to my liking. But they had built them with their adjustable bump stops set too long. I will only use EIbach going forward, and heavily trimmed back.

blind*guardian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
B6s — they are designed for OEM spring rates (and can handle more).

I’m not tracking other series available yet for the S550 outside of the full B16 suspension kit. If B8s ever come out, I would recommend these for lower ride height and higher spring rate cars.
Aren't the B8s already available? I see them listed as well as the B12 kit which includes the B8 shocks. I have the B16 kit, but only tested out the rear so far with their springs. It actually rode smoother and softer than stock on a middle setting. Once I finish my alignment will see how the front behaves, but that should stiffen it up a bit since the front spring rate is quite a bit more than stock.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
IPOGT, you have 2 mods in your signature that are on my short list - the FP Touring exhaust and the FP Brembo kit on my non PP convertible. Are you happy with those mods?

Regarding the suspension point of this thread - the base GT suspension is crap as we know. PP1 is debatable. I did the Steeda comfort suspension package which is lowering springs and struts/shocks. One and done I thought. But my installer cut the existing bumpstops and reused them. Handling great but ride sucked. Nervous and jittery. Just yesterday I went to a different shop and had the proper bump stops installed for a lowered suspension. That and the Steeda IRS subframe kit and K brace he installed have dramatically improved ride AND handling. Huge win for me. I mention this because these are not very expensive items. But I had to pay big money twice for labor to get things right. The more you can do at once, the better and cheaper. Lesson learned!

Yes. Very. But I don’t have a convertible. Two mustangs I did own were convertibles but they were always stock, or at most wheels/tires if anything.
The exhaust may be different on the convertible. I like the FP touring I have, It’s got great tone so if it’s the same I think you’ll like it.

As far as the Brembos are concerned. Completely unnecessary for the street, and after having done it, would be the last thing I’d do -if I did it at all. For the way I use my car not worth it. The 4 pistons are very, very good. I’m happy with the Brembos, though again, a convertible is a bit heavier car so I’m not sure how that dynamic plays into the outcome.

Last edited:

blind*guardian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
According to Bilstein support the lower B8 version is only needed for mustangs lowered beyond 1”. 1” lower FP Kits are considered by them to be a stock option height for the Mustang and perfect with the B6.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
the other trick is just because a SKU is published doesn't mean you can actually get your hands on the actual product.

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium

Sigster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sig
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible
Yes. Very. But I don’t have a convertible. Two mustangs I did own were convertibles but they were always stock, or at most wheels/tires if anything.
The exhaust may be different on the convertible. I like the FP touring I have, It’s got great tone so if it’s the same I think you’ll like it.

As far as the Brembos are concerned. Completely unnecessary for the street, and after having done it, would be the last thing I’d do -if I did it at all. For the way I use my car not worth it. The 4 pistons are very, very good. I’m happy with the Brembos, though again, a convertible is a bit heavier car so I’m not sure how that dynamic plays into the outcome.
I have it but dispenced with the resonators and instead put the Steeda H-pipe in. It's a nice deep-tone rumble that is "enveloping" without being obnoxious or too loud. Unlike those sounds like utter ass, staccato blasts that are offensive like you get with so many other Mustang exhausts.

elaborate? My Steeda 'comfort' experiment (progressive + pro-Active) was not to my liking. But they had built them with their adjustable bump stops set too long. I will only use EIbach going forward, and heavily trimmed back.
The bumpstop/jounce bumpers I bought were the Steeda precut kit units. I heard the Eibach units are very good. Regardless, I'm much happier with my suspension after ditching the cut down OEM units for a higher quality choice. I had no idea that such a small thing could make a pretty significant difference like it does.

OP
OP
Donm308

Donm308

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Convertible

Sorry, just double checking. IRS subframe kit & K brace on a convertible?
Sponsored