Sponsored

Ford Performance Street Handling pack experience

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The FP Track handling package, drops the ride height almost "2 front and rear, and come with linear springs.
citation? because the official website says 1" drop and those springs are clearly not linear.
Sponsored

VisceralSyn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
disregard, at some point, period in the last year or two information has been changed.

blind*guardian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
The drop will also depend on your initial ride height and whether you're starting with the PP or base GT. For example, I installed Bilstein B16s (just the back for now) just recently and the drop was close to 2" yet it was advertised an only 1" drop. However, I started with a base GT that is somewhat higher riding than a PP car, so that's probably where the difference came from. Note that the 2" drop for me was on the highest setting for height since they are adjustable. I ended up getting a spacer in the back to get the height back up. Expecting the same thing to happen in the front.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Wouldn't say there's a problem, just looking to improve the handling. No intentions on tracking the car.
Certainly not looking for “caddy” ride. Looking to tighten it up and have it handle a little better and a little more aggressively. I honestly at first didn’t think I’d touch the suspension, but now considering it. Want something to compliment other mods.
- larger tires
With the boldface part of the first quote in mind, what, specifically, would you consider "better"? Can you identify specific behaviors you'd like the car to do differently?

Personally, I think for a car that's only going to see street driving, I'd suggest doing only shocks, struts, and sta-bars. Bilsteins would probably be the easy answer for the dampers, and for the bars I'd look at adjustable bars set only moderately firmer than OE. Perhaps Brian@BMVK has a few S550 bar stiffnesses tabulated. If you absolutely must lower the car to satisfy an appearance preference, less drop beats more drop from a functional point of view.

Keep in mind that larger tires are likely to limit the amount of any lowering, especially if they're mounted on wheels that push everything outward for this flush appearance. Somewhere or other they're going to be using up some of the clearance that lets you get away with the lowering and still leave room for suspension bump travel.

All of the above is generally true no matter which generation is under discussion.

Norm

Last edited:

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
The FP Street handling comes with progressive rate springs, it takes the base to PP1 level type suspension feel. It drops the front and rear nearly "1. This kit can be installed by yourself, I recommend getting a buddy, the front ARB is a complete PITA. I managed to get it installed, with help. The FP Track handling package, drops the ride height almost "2 front and rear, and come with linear springs. If you do not plan the track it, those linear springs will likely hurt, a lot. Both were designed for the s550 chassis, however... I was under the impression the verts were not compatible, but if FP has them listed, go with what FP has published.

The Ford Racing Track Pack is a 1" drop like the street version. I have the Track Pack and it dropped it .875" front and .75" rear. The car should have came with this suspension from the factory. Ride is firmer but not harsh, love it.

Track Kit

Sponsored

VisceralSyn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
The Ford Racing Track Pack is a 1" drop like the street version. I have the Track Pack and it dropped it .875" front and .75" rear. The car should have came with this suspension from the factory. Ride is firmer but not harsh, love it.

Track Kit
I agree, I'm fine with the street handling. My trackdays will be far and few in between. And, daily lit up, once the base suspension was collecting dust. I personally believe at the bare minimums the base should have been released with the street, PP1 with track, and PP2 something more. Just me thinking tho...

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
I've got the street handling pack along with the other stuff in my sig.

I have zero complaints about it. For a car that only sees street duty it's so much better than the base and a perfect mix of comfort and handling. The overall ride height ends up great as well.

The roads in my area are terrible but the car feels great on them.

But to each their own. Some will say it's shit but I really have to disagree and couldn't be happier.

Ride height ends up like this....

20180901_063424.jpg

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium

Track Kit
Will this work with GT Premium and Magneride?

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Woop! Thanks!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Donm308

Donm308

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Convertible
With the boldface part of the first quote in mind, what, specifically, would you consider "better"? Can you identify specific behaviors you'd like the car to do differently?

Personally, I think for a car that's only going to see street driving, I'd suggest doing only shocks, struts, and sta-bars. Bilsteins would probably be the easy answer for the dampers, and for the bars I'd look at adjustable bars set only moderately firmer than OE. Perhaps Brian@BMVK has a few S550 bar stiffnesses tabulated. If you absolutely must lower the car to satisfy an appearance preference, less drop beats more drop from a functional point of view.

Keep in mind that larger tires are likely to limit the amount of any lowering, especially if they're mounted on wheels that push everything outward for this flush appearance. Somewhere or other they're going to be using up some of the clearance that lets you get away with the lowering and still leave room for suspension bump travel.

All of the above is generally true no matter which generation is under discussion.

Norm
Put that way I guess the biggest improvement would be handling at speed for the on & off ramps, wheel hop and just over all a more spirited driving experience. I'm not knocking the OME but if handling & appearance can be improved fairly easily, its something I feel I should seriously consider. At the same time don't want pay to replace parts without any real benefit

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree, I'm fine with the street handling. My trackdays will be far and few in between. And, daily lit up, once the base suspension was collecting dust. I personally believe at the bare minimums the base should have been released with the street, PP1 with track, and PP2 something more. Just me thinking tho...

The Street kit has the OEM PP1 shocks and struts, the weakest link of the suspension. The good news is Ford updated the struts/shocks for the 2018 PP cars. For the same price I would move up to the Track Kit. The base GT350's suspension was based on the Track Kit. The Track Kit comes with a lot of the PP1 stuff already like toe end links and such. I can't stress on how much better the car feels with the Track Kit. It is not harsh at all, very controlled yet still has compliance. It really is a well thought out kit.

Last edited:

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've got the street handling pack along with the other stuff in my sig.

I have zero complaints about it. For a car that only sees street duty it's so much better than the base and a perfect mix of comfort and handling. The overall ride height ends up great as well.

The roads in my area are terrible but the car feels great on them.

But to each their own. Some will say it's shit but I really have to disagree and couldn't be happier.

Ride height ends up like this....

20180901_063424.jpg

Looks great!! I so wish Ford made those wheels in a 9.5 front and a 10.5" rear. Love the 20" wheels, they so fit the Mustang.

VisceralSyn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
The Street kit has the OEM PP1 shocks and struts, the weakest link of the suspension. For the same price I would move up to the Track Kit. The base GT350's suspension was based on the Track Kit. The Track Kit comes with a lot of the PP1 stuff already like toe end links and such. I can't stress on how much better the car feels with the Track Kit. It really is a well thought out kit.
I understand, however I was willing to spend a grand for the street pack. Not the 1400 for the track pack. My Mustang is base, the street pack/PP1 is an improvement.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Having a convertible, you might check into what is available for chassis stiffening like braces, bushings. etc. The IRS in particular has room for improvement in regard to wheel hop and stability.
Steeda and BMR to name a couple have lots of goodies.
Sponsored