Sponsored

Ford Performance Oil Separators work well

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Nice of you too post it as well , you have a little more miles on your check than mine.
I was at a 1k miles, not too different between the two.
I changed oil this weekend to a different brand, will be interesting to see if I get the same amount again in another 1000 miles.
I would be interested in hearing how your experience with the 5w-30 has been, perhaps a seperate chat if good with you.
I'm still on 20 at the moment. My next change I'll be moving to 30. I have very short drives to and from work so I'd prefer the extra protection from 30, even if its all in my head, to protect the engine from the harsh life of start, stop sign, red light, red light, stop sign, park, of my 3 mile commute to and from work. I don't get to let her stretch her legs much during the week and sadly during almost 1/2 my commute its still warming up.
Sponsored

OP
OP

K3993

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt K3993 traded. 2022 MACH 1
I'm still on 20 at the moment. My next change I'll be moving to 30. I have very short drives to and from work so I'd prefer the extra protection from 30, even if its all in my head, to protect the engine from the harsh life of start, stop sign, red light, red light, stop sign, park, of my 3 mile commute to and from work. I don't get to let her stretch her legs much during the week and sadly during almost 1/2 my commute its still warming up.
I saw your oil cap description and thought you were already running it.
LOL ... I am the same with the in the head thing..... I am having a very hard time getting past the 5w-20, even though I just went with Amsoil SS 5w-20 this weekend. I told myself, if I am sticking with it for now, want to get what in my humble opinion is some of the best protection in there....peace of mind thing....head thing again....lol. Penz Ultra was my other choice. But I believe the next oil change, going to roll with a 5-30 myself.
Do several short runs as well and understand and agree with your thoughts on this.

Last edited:

CF-105

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dark Highland Green Bullitt
Ok, gents. Just for a moment, let's pretend I'm an idiot. :)

So what exactly are we achieving by installing this?

Thanks!

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(SIG) 2019 Mustang Bullitt w/ non-mag SMcQ suspension w/ bullitt electronics / (SAUER) 2005 Ford Focus ST

more specifically

Now, most modern engines like this have secondary injectors that periodically clean the gunk off of the valves, but... FORD people be paranoid!!!

OP
OP

K3993

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, gents. Just for a moment, let's pretend I'm an idiot. :)

So what exactly are we achieving by installing this?

Thanks!
Bear_stang gives a couple good vids.
Very simply, the oil separator or catch can, prevents the oil vapors from entering and coating the intake manifold with oil, diluting the fuel mixture entering the combustion chamber, and for those with no fuel injection to clean the valves... carbon/sludge buildup on back side of valves.

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Bear_stang gives a couple good vids.
Very simply, the oil separator or catch can, prevents the oil vapors from entering and coating the intake manifold with oil, diluting the fuel mixture entering the combustion chamber, and for those with no fuel injection to clean the valves... carbon/sludge buildup on back side of valves.
Literally had a guy on FB try to tell me that it has 0 purpose at all and its just a ricer thing lol

Aubrey

GT4949
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Planning the next one!
Vehicle Showcase
I thought about buying the JLT but I don't like the fact it just hangs there relying on the hoses to hold it. The Ford Perf. comes with a mounting bracket and judging by these pictures, works very well. Thank-you for posting this. You made the decision for this FP separator a no-brainer. One question though, how do you empty it? Syringe? Remove and dump?
I swapped from JLT to FP for that reason, and I think it was causing knock as well.

OP
OP

K3993

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Literally had a guy on FB try to tell me that it has 0 purpose at all and its just a ricer thing lol
I have come across people like that, some you can't inform, especially if they are closed minded on the subject.

OP
OP

K3993

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I swapped from JLT to FP for that reason, and I think it was causing knock as well.
LOL ... dont need anymore noise's coming from this engine .... tick, rattle ....:crackup:

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
My only concern with this is performance on inclines. As the bottom appears wide but not deep, I am wondering if you would have issues with oil pulling on steep inclines (20-30*).
FWIW federal standards are 6% maximum grade with possible exception to 7% on very mountainous roads. 7% grade is 4 degrees. You've probably seen the grade warning signs that are always posted on steep inclines. In 55 years of driving and well over a half million miles I don't remember any paved public roads any steeper.

Sponsored

nms_1122

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicole
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt K1166
Couldn't help but notice you were able to install the passenger side oil separator. It certainly seems straightforward and I'm fairly mechanical. However, I cannot get the cam bolt out. It loosens until it's just spinning, but I haven't been able to get it out. Is there some kind of trick I'm missing? I haven't been able to find anything else online regarding this. Thanks!

The passenger side is plug and play ... but does require some minor installation of the bracket that holds the separator. Nothing to intense.
You could do it without installing the bracket and would just hang like the JLT, I would think.
Look up :
Ford Performance Parts Coyote Oil-Air Separator Kits M-6766-A50A
Summit racing has the best price on both separators . Review the installation PDF to understand what I mean.

I like factory look of both of them, look like they belong.

The drivers side will require a slight modification of the connection from the separator to the driver bank. This is because the tube is designed for the GT350 right bank which has the connection in a different spot.
I used 5/8 tubing with the original connections I took off the GT350 tube. Fits the Bullitt because we have the GT350 cold air intake setup. Look at the installation PDF.
Ford Performance Parts 5.2L GT350 Oil-Air Seperator Kits M-6766-A50S

OP
OP

K3993

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Couldn't help but notice you were able to install the passenger side oil separator. It certainly seems straightforward and I'm fairly mechanical. However, I cannot get the cam bolt out. It loosens until it's just spinning, but I haven't been able to get it out. Is there some kind of trick I'm missing? I haven't been able to find anything else online regarding this. Thanks!
It had me for a couple of minutes as well, the bolt has a pressure fit area at the bottom side of the bolt and that's why you cant just slip it out. You need to use some pliers and lighty get a grip on the bolt and pull straight out, will take a little effort. You will see what I mean you get the bolt out. I can take a photo of the original bolt later this evening when I get home if you want to wait and see what it looks like.

nms_1122

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicole
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt K1166
Thank you so much! Got it. :like:

It had me for a couple of minutes as well, the bolt has a pressure fit area at the bottom side of the bolt and that's why you cant just slip it out. You need to use some pliers and lighty get a grip on the bolt and pull straight out, will take a little effort. You will see what I mean you get the bolt out. I can take a photo of the original bolt later this evening when I get home if you want to wait and see what it looks like.

OP
OP

K3993

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Dcortelazzi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Cool, glad I could help :thumbsup:
Sorry guys. I am new here with very little mechanic knowledge. The oil separator was my first adventure . I still could not figure out how to remove the cam bolt? How do I unscrew it? Just use a plier and ruin the thread?
Sponsored