Bullitt: Ford Performance oil separator - drivers side

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Depends on how hard hes driving and how much track time he's had.
What's the mechanism? In a PCV system--technically, it should be called a 'Negative Control Ventilation' as it operates on vacuum--fresh, filtered air is drawn in by engine vacuum at one point on an engine, and blow-by is expelled into the intake manifold, where it gets drawn into the engine and burned. How would oil get into the intake side unless, for some reason, there is oil in the air filter system or intake manifold?

I'm not quibbling--it does happen or, presumably, these wouldn't be bought (but someone will always be willing to sell useless items to the credulous)--but I don't understand how.

"The idea of an oil and air separator is to extract the oil from the air before it's sent back to the intake manifold and put it someplace where it won't cause a problem, either back in the crankcase or in a small receptacle called a catch can."

From: https://auto.howstuffworks.com/positive-crankcase-ventilation-system1.htm

I suppose, a separator on the intake side might catch what the downstream separator didn't, but it would only do that if the manifold pressure exceed atmospheric, which theoretically should never happen except in a backfire, or if the PCV valve was defective.
Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
My understanding is that when taking corners at high speeds you are more likely to have some vapor with oil make its way to the driver side than usual. Under normal conditions you'd have almost 0 on that side. I'm not familiar with the exact physics of it.

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
My understanding is that when taking corners at high speeds you are more likely to have some vapor with oil make its way to the driver side than usual. Under normal conditions you'd have almost 0 on that side. I'm not familiar with the exact physics of it.
Makes sense. Thanks.

mAkI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Moiz
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I have never had an Oil catch can. Can someone tell me the advantages of it? Also, does it need to be emptied out, or the Oil gets recycled back into the engine? If i get this, should I get it for both sides and is it an easy DIY?

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
I have never had an Oil catch can. Can someone tell me the advantages of it? Also, does it need to be emptied out, or the Oil gets recycled back into the engine? If i get this, should I get it for both sides and is it an easy DIY?
An oil catch can, well, catches oil that gets sucked from the crankcase into the intake manifold by a PCV system. I bought this one:

https://www.americanmuscle.com/jlt-...VAdNkCh2n8ANYEAQYASABEgJYI_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

It took all of 5 minutes to install. On my Bullitt, it catches about 1 teaspoon every 1K miles, which would otherwise end up gunking up the inside of the manifold and the backside of the intake valves. This is a big problem on some direct injection systems, which spray fuel directly into the cylinders--instead of into the intake port--so even the best cleaner (Techron, etc.) is useless in this regard (they still clean the injectors, I presume). The bottom of the can unscrews so you can dump the oil

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I literally had a guy on the Mustang Facebook group try to ridicule me for explaining how these work and why you would run one. He some reason thought that being that we have direct and port injection there was 0 reason to run one. Yet mocked me when I explain how that makes no difference in how they operate and what they do.

Then I linked to engineering sites and he claimed they only endorsed them because they were making money off of them..... The links were to Engineering Explained, an engineering site I cant recall, and HowStuffWorks. NO association to any store that sold separators.

Some people you just can't teach.

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
I literally had a guy on the Mustang Facebook group try to ridicule me for explaining how these work and why you would run one. He some reason thought that being that we have direct and port injection there was 0 reason to run one. Yet mocked me when I explain how that makes no difference in how they operate and what they do.

Then I linked to engineering sites and he claimed they only endorsed them because they were making money off of them..... The links were to Engineering Explained, an engineering site I cant recall, and HowStuffWorks. NO association to any store that sold separators.

Some people you just can't teach.
Slightly OT, but came across this the other day:

https://www.fordnxt.com/features/ask-the-experts/how-does-dual-fuel-work-on-a-gen-3-coyote/

I didn't study the charts, but it appears DI does most of the work. At any rate, even if PI kept the valves clean you'd still gunk up the intake manifold (some cars with DI only, Audis for one, need walnut blasting of the manifold periodically, unless they've solved that problem). Note they also mention the DI HP pump makes a 'ticking' noise, sound familiar?

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Slightly OT, but came across this the other day:

https://www.fordnxt.com/features/ask-the-experts/how-does-dual-fuel-work-on-a-gen-3-coyote/

I didn't study the charts, but it appears DI does most of the work. At any rate, even if PI kept the valves clean you'd still gunk up the intake manifold (some cars with DI only, Audis for one, need walnut blasting of the manifold periodically, unless they've solved that problem). Note they also mention the DI HP pump makes a 'ticking' noise, sound familiar?
The intake being clean, and keeping oil out of the A/F mixture were my key points, he laughed at the idea that adding oil to the A/F somehow changed the mixture.... He didn't seem to understand the basics of an engine, but was very eager to express that I was somehow wrong.

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
An oil catch can, well, catches oil that gets sucked from the crankcase into the intake manifold by a PCV system. I bought this one:

https://www.americanmuscle.com/jlt-oil-separator-v3-black-1117.html?utm_content=Engine - Oil Separator|JLT&T5_Var4=393754&utm_source=google-pla&utm_medium=shopping&T5_Var2=shopping&utm_campaign=AMM+Mustang+Vehicle+Medium&T5_Var3=blue&intl=0&dialogtech=ppc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI07ephPaA5AIVAdNkCh2n8ANYEAQYASABEgJYI_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

It took all of 5 minutes to install. On my Bullitt, it catches about 1 teaspoon every 1K miles, which would otherwise end up gunking up the inside of the manifold and the backside of the intake valves. This is a big problem on some direct injection systems, which spray fuel directly into the cylinders--instead of into the intake port--so even the best cleaner (Techron, etc.) is useless in this regard (they still clean the injectors, I presume). The bottom of the can unscrews so you can dump the oil
That think says it does not fit the 19's, but this one does.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/jlt-v30-black-oil-separator-passenger-side-2018-gt.html

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
The intake being clean, and keeping oil out of the A/F mixture were my key points, he laughed at the idea that adding oil to the A/F somehow changed the mixture.... He didn't seem to understand the basics of an engine, but was very eager to express that I was somehow wrong.
I get about 16MPG around town, and about a teaspoon of oil in the catch can every 1K miles. That's a teaspoon of oil in 63 gallons of gas, so I don't think that would affect mixture much. It's the gunking-up of the manifold and the valves--part-time PI wouldn't do as good a job cleaning the backside of the intake valves--that the catch can mitigates. Over 100K miles or so that would be significant.

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I get about 16MPG around town, and about a teaspoon of oil in the catch can every 1K miles. That's a teaspoon of oil in 63 gallons of gas, so I don't think that would affect mixture much. It's the gunking-up of the manifold and the valves--part-time PI wouldn't do as good a job cleaning the backside of the intake valves--that the catch can mitigates. Over 100K miles or so that would be significant.
It's not a large difference by any means, but it's still a cleaner burn.

mAkI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Moiz
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
So I have 6k miles on mine. Got an oil change at 5k. If I install these now. Should I have to go inside the intake and clean up the gunk? Or some chemical that would? Back in my eclipse days I once seafoamed the car as everyone promised it to remove all the gunk throughout the system. It was a smoky hell.

frankeric16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt
Vehicle Showcase
I emptied the JLT can, 1,800 miles, 1/2 teaspoon onto a paper towel. Then put the oil on the dipstick next to it. Stuff in the can was black, the dip oil looked like it was just changed. Changed oil at 1,000 miles. So IMO the can works! nuff!

Hockeyfan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt Magneride, electronics, pac, Steeda Jack rails, Weather Teck Floor liners, SunTek PPF full front
Hey guys, Ford Performance has one for the 19 and 20 Bullitt, part # M-6766-A50A. Would you guys recommend this one, JLT or another aftermarket one? Thank you
Sponsored