quikcolin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
Hey guys,

Just installed a Ford performance passenger side oil separator on my 2020 PP2.

Install went smoothly, did everything by the book. Only thing that has my puzzled is how the separator itself is secured to the provided mount... there is a slot for the separator to slide onto, but it’s quite loose (up and down). The little tension put on it by the hoses won’t allow it to rest securely at the bottom of the mount.

The only thing I could think of was to zip ties it down to keep it from flopping up and down.

Anyone else encountered this? Seems like a strange design. They should have put a little rubber into the slot on the separator to hold it down fully seated into the mount...

928FD080-5701-4569-9D09-D22ECB69528E.jpeg

2A7224D4-481F-4288-AC51-3358B6162F75.jpeg

59673D3B-495B-4801-83AD-4DE34DB9B471.jpeg
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Ya thats where it goes. Mine isn’t loose exactly, but its not hard mounted either, just the two hoses and that one plastic push clip. Its been fine that way for like 50k miles. Are your hoses clipped in right?

OP
OP
quikcolin

quikcolin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
Ya thats where it goes. Mine isn’t loose exactly, but its not hard mounted either, just the two hoses and that one plastic push clip. Its been fine that way for like 50k miles. Are your hoses clipped in right?
Could you explain what you mean by “push clip”? Is it tight fitting. Or locking?

When I say loose. It fits into the slot perfectly, but it wants to sit high in the slot. Even without the hoses connected it’s quite sloppy (up and down). Then when you put the hoses on, it just sits about 1/2” high on the mount. Which can be pushed back down, but it pops back up. The zip tie keeps it down, but seems silly?

Last edited:

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Meh its fine. Will do its job happily, just empty it every oil change and keep driving.

James1980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I ran into the same issue. Once the hoses are attached the separator would lift a bit. No matter how I adjusted it I would run into the same issue.

Like you, I used a zip tie to hold it down.

Sponsored

OP
OP
quikcolin

quikcolin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
I ran into the same issue. Once the hoses are attached the separator would lift a bit. No matter how I adjusted it I would run into the same issue.

Like you, I used a zip tie to hold it down.
That makes me feel better, thanks James! I’ll just roll with the zip ties 👍🏼

James1980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Mines been like that a few hundred miles. No problems.
Maybe after awhile the hoses will relax and we wont need the zip tie anymore

It sucks we have to do that. If there's something we're missing feel free to let us know. Wouldn't be the first time I missed something simple.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Hey Colin,
Mine was not loose like that. The bracket fit tight when the separator is pushed all the way down. On my bracket the powder coat is quite thick. Maybe Ford changed the design or didn't put the same amount of paint on it. The hoses can be manipulated a little. You can rotate the fittings on the tubes and adjust the gooseneck for a better fit. Try after the engine is warm.

Anyway, no longer using my bracket due to the FP tune and new throttle body.

I am still waiting for my custom made relocating brackets to come in. If they work out, I will powder coat them and offer them up for sale for those with the FP tune. The relocator will mount the oil separator on the passenger shock tower in the space just in front and below the strut brace. (will not work with the engine cover in place). Hopefully I measured everything correctly.

OP
OP
quikcolin

quikcolin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
Hey Colin,
Mine was not loose like that. The bracket fit tight when the separator is pushed all the way down. On my bracket the powder coat is quite thick. Maybe Ford changed the design or didn't put the same amount of paint on it. The hoses can be manipulated a little. You can rotate the fittings on the tubes and adjust the gooseneck for a better fit. Try after the engine is warm.

Anyway, no longer using my bracket due to the FP tune and new throttle body.

I am still waiting for my custom made relocating brackets to come in. If they work out, I will powder coat them and offer them up for sale for those with the FP tune. The relocator will mount the oil separator on the passenger shock tower in the space just in front and below the strut brace. (will not work with the engine cover in place). Hopefully I measured everything correctly.
Thanks Todd, yeah the mount and the slot on the separator are a loose fit. If the mount's powder coating was thicker, it would be a big help, but for now... zip ties it is hahaha

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah mine rose up the bracket a little when new - I assume from the fit of the plastic hoses.

It didn't bother me as it wasn't touching the engine cover and the engine cover would prevent it from coming off the bracket anyway.

I think with heat cycles it's now relaxed a little anyway :like:

WD :like:

Sponsored
OP
OP
quikcolin

quikcolin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
Yeah mine rose up the bracket a little when new - I assume from the fit of the plastic hoses.

It didn't bother me as it wasn't touching the engine cover and the engine cover would prevent it from coming off the bracket anyway.

I think with heat cycles it's now relaxed a little anyway :like:

I’ll check it out after a few more drives. I didn’t bother putting the engine cover back on, so lots of room in my situation 😬

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
This was when it first went on :

5868-E825-EAFC-4-C04-8852-FCC0-E5-CBD6-EB.jpg

I think that gap is a little bigger now and the separator never got high enough to touch the cover even when new :like:

James1980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
@quikcolin Just thought I would update this in case you're interested

I kept the zip tie on until today. I took it off, emptied it and put it back. I did not need the zip tie this time, everything fit perfectly. So it seems my hope was correct, the hoses did relax and now everything is good.

OP
OP
quikcolin

quikcolin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
That’s great news!! Remind me, do you run with or without the engine cover?

James1980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I have the engine cover on, but I'm considering getting rid of it. It just gets in the way
Sponsored