Ford Performance Forged crank sprocket.

xr4x4ti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 6MT
In preparation for installing the supercharger in my AWD 2017 GT, I decided to upgrade the oil pump gears/crank sprocket and also threw in a Kinetik Crank Saver Stud kit.

I went with TSS oil pump gears and a Ford Performance Forged Crank sprocket.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6306-M50A

I have everything back together and I am ready to install the supercharger when I saw somebody on Facebook post that their factory gen 3 crank sprocket cracked. Others soon followed saying the same thing.

I was under the impression that the Ford Performance sprocket was nothing but a Gen 3 sprocket and that the new gen's got the forged sprocket rather than the powdered metal one used on the gen 1 and 2.

Is this correct? Do I need to worry about this sprocket? I REALLY don't want to take it all apart again.

Tim
Sponsored

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Here is a Gen 3 and Ford Performance side by side. I did stick with the Ford Performance OPGs(which I believe they no longer offer), but after comparing the two CSs to a Boundary CS, in ordered the Boundary.

IMG_4914.jpeg

jpjr501

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT - Procharged
The Ford Performance ones are good. TSS is a great product too. I have Boundary on mine.

The stock pieces are junk, mine broke on two drops. Not like that's a real test but there wasn't 500+ foot pounds slamming it down during the drop either like a car would produce.

OPG's are good insurance. You hope it will never happen to you but glad you have it.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
And the Boundary ones have what they call a "Burst Ring" which adds girth to the center section of the sprocket. Everyone likes more girth

1716401160682-e9.png

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
The Ford Performance ones are good. TSS is a great product too. I have Boundary on mine.

The stock pieces are junk, mine broke on two drops. Not like that's a real test but there wasn't 500+ foot pounds slamming it down during the drop either like a car would produce.

OPG's are good insurance. You hope it will never happen to you but glad you have it.
The OP is talking about crank sprockets, not OPG. Ford Performance = Stock Gen 3

Sponsored

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I replaced my OPG's with Boundary and my timing chains, phasers, and crank sprocket with FRPP units. I have been to 8K+ a few times on that set-up already. So far so good.

jpjr501

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT - Procharged
The OP is talking about crank sprockets, not OPG. Ford Performance = Stock Gen 3
I know, most come in a kit not separate. TSS, Boundary, FRPP, MMR sell the sprocket and OPG together. While you're in there replacement stuff.
Sponsored