Sponsored

Ford Inspector for Warranty Repair-Update:Warranty Denied Claim Due to Off Road Racing

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost performance package coupe
When talking with friends after a weekend and they ask, "what did you do this weekend?" Is there anyone who says, "I went HPDE'ing?" I suspect that your answer involves the term "race" or "racing" and at least "track"

That is what the arbitrator is thinking I believe.
Sponsored

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
“Taking your Mustang onto a track does not void the warranty,” confirms Matt Leaver of Ford Performance communications. “However, if the car features non-OEM modifications, is involved in competitive racing, or is damaged due to driver error or driver abuse, the warranty will not cover that damage. Defects in material and workmanship that are not pilot error or track-related would be covered. This is the same for any Mustang, from an EcoBoost up to the Shelby GT500.”

Leaver explains that even the base EcoBoost Mustang does not need to have the optional Performance Package to be covered for track driving. As long as you follow Ford’s reasonable conditions, the company will honor its warranty obligations.
“Driver error or Driver abuse “
This loophole let Ford free to deny coverage for any reason they want

Last edited:

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
When talking with friends after a weekend and they ask, "what did you do this weekend?" Is there anyone who says, "I went HPDE'ing?" I suspect that your answer involves the term "race" or "racing" and at least "track"
What would these people say if they actually went racing one day, rather than having a hpde trackday? They participated in the F1 grand prix?
Luc nailed it: anyone who goes to track, for hpde or other things, has no illusions that they are participating in a race when on a hpde.

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, Kona Blue, J3116

That is what the arbitrator is thinking I believe.
You're only partially correct on that point.

Me: I did HPDE
Them: You went racing?
Me: [explain]
Them: Eyes glaze over
Me: Fine. It's easier just to say "racing" to keep somewhat of a conversation flowing.
Them: Oh that's so cool! Did you win?
Me: Shakes head and walks away

Anyone without an overbearing ego knows and shares HPDE for what it is. Driver's education. Lap times, if one chooses to record, are 1 of many metrics to quantify one's self-improvement. Which is the 1 and only goal of the whole exercise: self-improvement. I have no delusions that I'm a competitive racecar driver. It's a fun hobby, and a great way to socialize with like minded people. That's it. Unless I was making 10x the money, I could never hope to afford the consumables on this platform in a race campaign anyways.

Sponsored

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost performance package coupe
And what the arbitrator did, in the face of no definition in the ESP contract as to what constitutes "racing" is go to the commonly thought of definition - exactly the scenario you presented in the discussion above. Because as far as the car is concerned, it doesn't know the difference between "racing" for money as a professional or HPDE all out performance to your and the car's limits. The stress on components is the same. To the arbitrator and average person, "HPDE" and "racing" is a distinction with no distinction.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
To the OP, if you were remotely close to me I’d gladly offer to help you make the repairs if you showed up with the parts. It’s really unfortunate you’ve been without your car for so long. Hope it works out for you.

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
Insurance companies hire photographers to take pics of street cars racing at drag strips..........license plates....mostly.
Industy shares these photos.....but not actual racing cars without plates.

Forstalls warranty claims of any sort..especially collision and blown motors.

You simply cannot race for free on Ford......so many water damaged Mustangs are for sale thru CoPart, that any serious racer would have one.

I see no dillitante, slow mustangs on track anywhere...full throttle is full throtttle.

I am most impressed with normal Mustang GT's successfully on track, with nothing but HP brake pads.
Have fun!!
Good to know...take off the plate after driving on track grounds.

This subject really gets me...people always say to take street racing to the track, but when you do, you're at risk of being denied warranty work. So what's worse, paying for a new engine/trans or paying a ticket? Shouldn't have to make that decision. Another grind my gears thing is tracks/strips are closing at an alarming rate. That's why we see so many cars racing on the highway in "Mexico".

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Good to know...take off the plate after driving on track grounds.

This subject really gets me...people always say to take street racing to the track, but when you do, you're at risk of being denied warranty work. So what's worse, paying for a new engine/trans or paying a ticket? Shouldn't have to make that decision. Another grind my gears thing is tracks/strips are closing at an alarming rate. That's why we see so many cars racing on the highway in "Mexico".
or the possibility of killing people on the same road. Cant say it doesn't happen

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
If the esp wanted to have a clause that taking the gt350 to a track voided warranty, then then needed to have a clause “use of your vehicle at a track voids coverage.” They didn’t do this and used the term racing instead.

I don’t care how similar stresses on the car are for de vs open wheel, nobody at a de event is racing. Are they suggesting the lunch time parade laps for guests voids you warranty at the track too?

This decision is wrong on the matter of contract law and BBB is a joke. This would never happen in Jams or AAA arbitration.

Sponsored

5550snotamerc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
s550 eco convertible auto
If you are the kind of person who equates driver education with racing, and I am talking about the people on this forum, not the ignorant arbitrator, then you are almost certainly a menace and the coaches hate you.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
And what the arbitrator did, in the face of no definition in the ESP contract as to what constitutes "racing" is go to the commonly thought of definition - exactly the scenario you presented in the discussion above. Because as far as the car is concerned, it doesn't know the difference between "racing" for money as a professional or HPDE all out performance to your and the car's limits. The stress on components is the same. To the arbitrator and average person, "HPDE" and "racing" is a distinction with no distinction.
Yet Ford knows the difference since the original warranty covered track days.

Cobra99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
How could drive your car legally near the limits except in a HPDE environment? You don't want to endanger people and property unless it's on a track. I think it preposterous to suggest that driving it near top speed or driving it at the limits deems it voided, since it was designed and advertised to run at those limits. The HPDE is just a opportunity to run your can outside of doing it on the street. The suggestion that since your 'driving near it limits', 'keeping personal best', 'stresses are the same', 'I tracked my car' because it was on a track(Maybe I should start saying I streeted my car this weekend when I took it for a drive), 'Full Throttle is full throttle', 'If you want to track your track ready car and is a serious racer you should by a buy a water damaged car and track that' is racing is idiotic. Yes stuff breaks, The difference is if it's abused(Which isn't covered) and driving the car as designed. If you don't want to cover racing or HPDE events state it. But they don't since it will effect the bottom line. Some people are saying arbitration is a joke since it leans for the defendant and this case proves it.

BlkMach10510

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
ford - you have a track car; Mach 1, Shelby's, etc. and you can drive it like it is supposed to be driven on the track just no abuse.

esp now ford protect - you have a track car, we cover it but we do not cover if you use your car for what it was made and marketed.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
ford - you have a track car; Mach 1, Shelby's, etc. and you can drive it like it is supposed to be driven on the track just no abuse.

esp now ford protect - you have a track car, we cover it but we do not cover if you use your car for what it was made and marketed.
And now the Dark Horse as well. Same Track Attack as was offered for the Shelby’s and the Mach is being offered for the DH. Curious if the ESP language for those is any different? I would assume they’re all the same (or very similar) but I have not looked for the 2024 cars ESP language yet.
Sponsored