Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Wonder what the weight is on the Fluidamper? Does anyone think a lighter (and better performing) balancer is a worthwhile upgrade for an NA car? I am considering doing this plus rotors, wheels, water pump pulley, and CF driveshaft over the next year to year and a half. I feel like weight reduction in the right places has to help these cars accelerate easier. Also will be doing with kintetic crank saver, h pipe, and flex tune.
Based on the other quotes above, the stock HD pulley is 11.98 lbs. Can someone confirm that?

I'll reply with the weight of this unit when I receive it in the next few days.

The housing is aluminum and the hub is steel, and of course the inertia (mass) ring inside is steel. From the perspective of harmonics though, you can consider the inertia ring to be static, and only the hub and housing are oscillating a X frequency along with the end of the crankshaft. The shear force imparted by the viscous fluid dampens that oscillation, so while the total mass of the unit may matter as part of the whole rotating assembly, good harmonic dampers will still free up power by improving the quality of the crank signal for better timing control.

Higher order torsional harmonic vibrations can't be damped well by most OE HD pulleys, and other elastomeric pulleys like the ATI are better, but still limited in range and require maintenance. Since I'm using a Tilton flywheel and dual disc clutch which changes the moment of inertia of the whole rotating assembly, I'd prefer not to have to worry about where in the RPM range the worst harmonics are occurring. The viscous damper is going to work universally across the whole rev range for any frequency and amplitude of oscillation, as would the clutch type.
Sponsored

Last edited:

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
dunno, I seen a lot of snout failures with aftermarket dampers....

Direct from the fluidampr site

PART #700232
FitmentFord 5.0L Coyote Engine.
2011-2022 5.0L Mustang, F-150 & Crate Engines
Bore DiameterØ1.249"
Degree Marking RangeN/A
Degree MarkingsEngraved
Engine BalanceInternal
FinishPulley - Hard Coat Anodized
Adapter - Black Zinc Coated
KeywaySingle
Length3.90"
MaterialAluminum Pulley
Steel Adapter
Drive Belt TypeSerpentine
Pulley Grove Quantity6 rear, 6 front
Mounting Hardware IncludedNo
Outside Diameter7"
Safety RatingSFI 18.1
Weight / Rotating Weight9.9 lbs / 6.6 lbs

deanm11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT A10
Based on the other quotes above, the stock HD pulley is 11.98 lbs. Can someone confirm that?

The housing is aluminum and the hub is steel, and of course the inertia (mass) ring inside is steel. From the perspective of harmonics though, you can consider the inertia ring to be static, and only the hub and housing are oscillating a X frequency along with the end of the crankshaft. The shear force imparted by the viscous fluid dampens that oscillation, so while the total mass of the unit may matter as part of the whole rotating assembly, good harmonic dampers will still free up power by improving the quality of the crank signal for better timing control.

Higher order torsional harmonic vibrations can't be damped well by most OE HD pulleys, and other elastomeric pulleys like the ATI are better, but still limited in range and require maintenance. Since I'm using a Tilton flywheel and dual disc clutch which changes the moment of inertia of the whole rotating assembly, I'd prefer not to have to worry about where in the RPM range the worst harmonics are occurring. The viscous damper is going to work universally across the whole rev range for any frequency and amplitude of oscillation, as would the clutch type.
My 2022 balancer was 13.8lb. That may have been with the bolt. My saved math to going with Innovators west was 13.8 - 7.4 = 6.4lbs. As I think about it, pretty sure both figures are with bolt. Stock with stock of course, and IIRC, IW with their provided bolt.

OP
OP
aleccolin

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Weighs 10lbs 2.3oz according to my crappy kitchen scale. I got a “blem” unit with one scratch, direct from Fluidampr for less than $500 shipped.

IMG_2523.jpeg

IMG_2524.jpeg

IMG_2522.jpeg

Jjmoberg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 on order
Even a 3.5 lb difference is probably worth it. Especially since its more like 7 rotating mass reduction.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jjmoberg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 on order
Where did you purchase?
I havent. Was just commenting on the guy above me. If i do a balancer it will likely be this one.

furdfan2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Weighs 10lbs 2.3oz according to my crappy kitchen scale. I got a “blem” unit with one scratch, direct from Fluidampr for less than $500 shipped.

IMG_2523.jpeg

IMG_2524.jpeg

IMG_2522.jpeg

That is a nice piece.

Would be nice to take some weight off the front of the crank. 18+ cars have this GIANT weight for a damper. IT's ridiculous.

OP
OP
aleccolin

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
That is a nice piece.

Would be nice to take some weight off the front of the crank. 18+ cars have this GIANT weight for a damper. IT's ridiculous.
Don't the '18+ cars have a dual disc clutch also? IDK what the weight of that is relative to the OE single disc, but that could be a reason for Ford to add mass to the harmonic dampener if they're larger/heavier than the 15-17 motors. But because the fluid damper and friction type dampers work over such a large range of frequencies and amplitudes it would still be an upgrade without upsetting the harmonics of the engine. I'd be concerned using an ATI or similar, could be tricky to get the "tuning" right if the mass of the rotating assembly is changed.

Sponsored

Whitedevil95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.P.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT

IMG_2523.jpeg

IMG_2524.jpeg

IMG_2522.jpeg
Thats a really nice looking unit! I am assuming its the oem diamter and number of ribs both front and rear?

OP
OP
aleccolin

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Thats a really nice looking unit! I am assuming its the oem diameter and number of ribs both front and rear?
Supposed to be OE diameter and some of 1G/2G Coyotes had a 6/4 rib setup, and some were 6/6 rib - this one is 6/6 so it'll work for either.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2

Hi. My 19 GT crank pulley weighs 14.8lbs.
Did get the lighter one? If so what do you think of it.
Thanks
Sponsored