Flashing cel. Misfire?

VooDeeZy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Hey everyone just left work and about 2 mins into my drive I got a flashing check engine light for about 15 seconds. Transmission seemed be a bit wonky at the time also (10 speed auto always feels kind of weird in this and precious f150s so idk). Quick search online shows some people having misfire issue with the 2021 mach 1? After the 15 seconds my 15 min ride home at highway speeds felt normal.

This car is starting to get frustrating as I'm also having driveline vibrations. (Showed as driveshaft on the nvh tool at dealership.) they turned the driveshaft 180 and it helped some but my passenger seat can be seen shaking at speeds over 70.

anyways I'm going to dinner in about an hour and I'm gonna take the car and see how it goes. It's 2021 mach 1 auto with 1200 miles
Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Hey everyone just left work and about 2 mins into my drive I got a flashing check engine light for about 15 seconds. Transmission seemed be a bit wonky at the time also (10 speed auto always feels kind of weird in this and precious f150s so idk). Quick search online shows some people having misfire issue with the 2021 mach 1? After the 15 seconds my 15 min ride home at highway speeds felt normal.

This car is starting to get frustrating as I'm also having driveline vibrations. (Showed as driveshaft on the nvh tool at dealership.) they turned the driveshaft 180 and it helped some but my passenger seat can be seen shaking at speeds over 70.

anyways I'm going to dinner in about an hour and I'm gonna take the car and see how it goes. It's 2021 mach 1 auto with 1200 miles
Zero issues here and 1300 miles. It may be time for a dealer visit for warranty items.

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP

Had similar issues with my 15 and it had to be indexed as well. Sounds like you are still having alignment issues. Definitely have it looked at!

OP
OP

VooDeeZy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Zero issues here and 1300 miles. It may be time for a dealer visit for warranty items.
Yes, so it seems. It's a shame, I'm coming from an m3 and before that a C63s, each with no discernible issues for years.

OP
OP

VooDeeZy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Had similar issues with my 15 and it had to be indexed as well. Sounds like you are still having alignment issues. Definitely have it looked at!
yes it is frustrating watching the seat, or items on the seat vibrating

Sponsored

OP
OP

VooDeeZy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
44681AA3-AC0C-450A-924F-09B79FB434C3.png

Received this message on my fordpass app, about 3 hours after the cel flashed. Car drove fine tonight. It will be looked at Monday morning I'll update this thread. Hoping it's nothing serious

Cobrajet70

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Hp
Vehicle Showcase
A flashing light can indicate a few things, These cars are very sensitive and it could have just picked up on some knock and started pulling timing which would do exactly that, flash for about 15 seconds (as timing was being pulled)for what seems like no reason and show a miss fire code in history but not as not current or even set as a historical code. The car most likely took care of its self and you should be fine. I've seen this happen quite a few times on costumers vehicles and on my GT. Cat codes are common too, they self clear after a drive cycle and don't indicate a issue.

OP
OP

VooDeeZy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
A flashing light can indicate a few things, These cars are very sensitive and it could have just picked up on some knock and started pulling timing which would do exactly that, flash for about 15 seconds (as timing was being pulled)for what seems like no reason and show a miss fire code in history but not as not current or even set as a historical code. The car most likely took care of its self and you should be fine. I've seen this happen quite a few times on costumers vehicles and on my GT. Cat codes are common too, they self clear after a drive cycle and don't indicate a issue.
Thanks for the info. Service dept pretty much said the same thing. Car has been driving normally since it happened. I'm excited to get into warmer weather here in nj. It's my daily driver In everything but winter and I plan on driving it hard.

Cobrajet70

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Hp
Vehicle Showcase
If it sat then the Octane might have a bit low, that and 93 sometimes isn't 93 and in some cases not even 90, same goes for the low stuff and add the fact the blend can start to go to crap. The PCM can adjust no problem within its limitations.
F150 5.0s are much worse, they sound like a racoon stuffed in a metal trash can out of the exhaust, I tell them when it happens just top off with mid or prem or a can of Octane boost.
I've ran mine up to 100 octane, makes a difference, not say the car understands anything higher then 93, we only have so much timing stock but you'll be surprise how much more it can do then it can max it out. Better low end normal driving and just better pull over all. The low stuff cost about 10HP on the top end but runs just fine and most will not notice.

OP
OP

VooDeeZy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Another flashing cel tonight. Same thing, flashes for about 15 seconds and then gone. Same misfire detected notification on the fordpass app.

Sponsored
OP
OP

VooDeeZy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Just updating so if anyone else has issues they can compare to my situation. Service dept scanned codes the following day and came back with random multiple cylinder misfires. Performed the misfire profile relearn produce again. No noticeable issues during inspection. Other than flashing cel for 15 second each time and maybe the revs hanging a bit during cel (not sure if it's related to cel cuz the a10 is wonky all the time anyways) the car has been driving well. Took it out for an hour on Sunday and drove it hard and all went well.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
the a10 is wonky all the time anyways
You mentioned it several times, what does that mean? I never noticed any erratic behaviour or jerkiness. Only few times slight jerk shifting to 4th when it was cold like 100 meters from home.

OP
OP

VooDeeZy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
You mentioned it several times, what does that mean? I never noticed any erratic behaviour or jerkiness. Only few times slight jerk shifting to 4th when it was cold like 100 meters from home.
I'll start by saying im not mechanically inclined at all. By wonky I guess I mean how just feels different when it shifts than any other automatic car I've owned/driven. The last automatic car I drove daily was a 2020 c43 amg. It's probably the way it is designed to react in sport mode. My wife's explorer st I only drive in regular settings and the mach 1 only in sport or sport + so that's probably the difference.
I don't think the random misfire codes have anything to do with any of that though. Hoping the 2nd relearn solves issue and it doesn't come back. But twice in 7 days def has me concerned.

OP
OP

VooDeeZy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Another update for this thread in case anyone else gets this issue with their Mach 1. Another misfire detected CEL today during a 10 min drive. Didn't notice it until I saw the fordpass notification when I parked. All 3 times it's happened within 5 mins of car starting up. First 2 times service dept has done a misfire relearn. I'll ask them what else they can do if anything. If the only solution is a relearn and it ends up happening again I'll be looking into the RAV process. In my opinion this is not acceptable on a limited production specialty car.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Another update for this thread in case anyone else gets this issue with their Mach 1. Another misfire detected CEL today during a 10 min drive. Didn't notice it until I saw the fordpass notification when I parked. All 3 times it's happened within 5 mins of car starting up. First 2 times service dept has done a misfire relearn. I'll ask them what else they can do if anything. If the only solution is a relearn and it ends up happening again I'll be looking into the RAV process. In my opinion this is not acceptable on a limited production specialty car.
If the misfire is an actual cylinder - it will be a P0301-P0308, not just a "P0300" (random misfire). The "random" misfires are more difficult to diagnose, only because there's a variety of reasons why it will happen.

You could swap coil to coil to try to find it, but without a code scanner for actual DTC and starting point - meaning a specific cylinder misfire code - it's anyones guess at this stage.

This thread may give you some enlightenment to Ford's misfire strategies:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/good-tech-article-on-ford’s-misfire-strategy.108076/

Also here is a pdf snip from the Ford Shop manual. which is "Coyote" specific. I'm including it because it gives a bigger picture of how to diagnose misfire events from the generic to the actual cylinder event codes:.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/attachments/hd-misfire-detection-pdf.538665/

You could have a faulty crank sensor OR one with loose wire contacts in the actual connector, which will also cause sporadic "random misfire" events. Other M6G members have found that the P0300 was related to a faulty crank sensor. This could be your issue too, so review each thread carefully because each owner came across it in a different manner.

Check this thread:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/misfire-at-high-rpm.174380/#post-3531453

AND this one:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...e-sensor-tone-ring.156234/page-2#post-3197692
Sponsored

Last edited: