flashed twice warning me of cop

Discussion in 'General Automotive Topics (non 6th Gen Mustang)' started by tcman54, Apr 22, 2020.

1. tcman54

tcman54 Stanghead

First Name:
    Terry
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Ecoboost
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    Just want to share what happened to me this morning on the way back home, 2 different drivers flashed their lights at me about a 1/2 mile from my turn off, where sometimes a cop sits, and in this case was, they were apparently signalling to me to watch out for the cops presence up ahead.

Been driving my Stang around Florida now for about 4 years and this has never happened to me before, I wasn't going that fast and saw the cop in plenty of time to slow down anyway but a nice gesture for sure by two different fellow drivers, a woman in a Ford SUV and a guy on a motorcycle.

Has the virus turned people into nicer drivers?, lol, anyone else experience this kind gesture as well?

Terry

Mikthehun1 likes this.
  2. wade001

wade001 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Wade
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
    0   0   0
    i always try to warn other drivers of police ahead, but also have to be wary and make sure there does not happen to be another police officer in front of you to see it happen, or signs ahead of you to where a flash or two of your lights may reflect off of, for the police officer behind you to see you flashing your lights.

i dont think its enough to get a ticket for, but its surely enough to get pulled over for, guess how i know..

Blue Moon and QCGoose like this.
  3. Mikthehun1

Mikthehun1 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mik
    Vehicle(s):
    19 GT a10, 19 Charger Scat Pack
    Photography
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    So what if they see you? Assholes are sitting around trying make money for the margarita fund, not out helping people. They can pull you over to be a dick, but they can't write a ticket. I've done the double tap signal and had a cop in the line of traffic turns his lights on at me. I just did the ghetto wigwag and kept driving. It's really messed up that there's this much ill will and distrust for law enforcement, but they made that bed all by themselves.

QCGoose likes this.
  4. Flimflamman

Flimflamman Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 GT A10 & 301A
    Garage Profiles:
    Technology
    0   0   0
    Waze has been pretty useful for me when it comes to popo warnings. But yeah I'll flash folks when I see the popo using laser/radar. Not when they are clearly just sitting there picking their noses doing paperwork or already have someone pulled over.

Timeless likes this.
  5. Ian94

Ian94 Member

First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT PP1 Magnetic Metallic
    0   0   0
    I've warned people for the last 35 plus years, when I pass a cop or state patrol sitting in the median, I am careful now to watch and make sure there isn't one up ahead, if nothing else, I just don't want the hassle of being pulled over for anything. I usually get a hand wave back from on coming traffic as a thank you and I'll do the same if I'm being warned.

-Ian

EJS2016 likes this.
  6. Zrussian13

Zrussian13 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
    0   0   0
    The flash used to be standard practice to warn fellow drivers of police up ahead. Now everyone is too worried about updating their Facebook status while driving to care about others.

7. ice445

ice445 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Mustang GT 6MT
    0   0   0
    I always use it if I see deer, but I feel like most people just think you're flashing them to be an asshole because you think their lights are too bright or whatever.

Blue Moon likes this.
  8. MaskedRacerX

MaskedRacerX Driver

First Name:
    DT
    Vehicle(s):
    19 Mustang GT convertible, Orange Fury + Ebony, A10/PP/AE/MS/B&O
    Rating:
    100%
    3   0   0

Buddy of mine got a ticket for flashing, hired a layer, didn't even go to court, they got fully reimbursed for the ticket, court, legal fees.

That's a f***ing bullshit ticket (and cause for a stop).

9. Biggus Dickus

Biggus Dickus Well-Known Member

First Name:
    G
    Vehicle(s):
    Focus RS, Mustang GT
    MDJD
    0   0   0
    I always flash vigorously to warn others of cops. That said , Waze is a must.

10. Billy1

Billy1 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Mustang
    0   0   0
    There has already been a court case in Florida that you can't be ticketed for flashing your lights . Fight the ticket if you get one.

On a different note, there was a story of a boy sitting on the side of the road with a large cardboard sign saying "Speed Trap Ahead". 1/4 mile after the speed trap was another boy sitting on side of the road with another cardboard sign, saying: "Tips".

11. BrettT

BrettT Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Brett
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
    0   0   0
    #11 BrettT, Apr 22, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    I suspect you may be seeing it because there are less cars on the roads. I am more likely to flash oncoming traffic if they are only a few cars versus if its heavy traffic....But having said that, you don't see it as much these days as 10-20 years ago.....

12. ManyfordsnoMustang

ManyfordsnoMustang Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Steven
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT convertible Magnetic 10 spd auto loaded; '04 Maruader SC, 1970 442 W30 Convertible, 2014 Fusion Energi
    0   0   0
    I turn my lights off and on or flash but you are correct, I seldom see it anymore. I always do. I also don't see it as solely a money maker, its for safety. Most of us may think we are great drivers but without the possibilty of a speeding ticket you would have way too many people driving 99mph while still having some people drive 54 mph. That's another danger - the huge delta in speed.

Blue Moon likes this.
  13. Mikthehun1

First Name:
    Mik
    Vehicle(s):
    Photography
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    Read about civil forfeiture in NY. Then read about where the money/property they steal goes. Practices like that make me suspicious of any activity that involves money and police action.

14. Hack

Hack Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Mustang, Fiesta
    0   0   0
    In theory speed limits are for safety. So really police aren't being jerks. They are just enforcing the law and doing their jobs.

Having said that, I'm a giant hypocrite because I have warned people of cops and speed traps by turning my lights on and off.

I warn people of deer in the same way, but I always turn my lights off and on. I don't flash brights at people unless I think they have their brights on.

Mikthehun1 likes this.
  15. Mikthehun1

First Name:
    Mik
    Vehicle(s):
    Photography
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    Quotas are for salespeople, not public safety.