First track day...brake question

BluSnake

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '11 GT 5.0, '19 Tundra, '09 Miata
Question about the measurement tool. Does brake fluid actually circulate from the calipers back to the reservoir? Or is the mixing more of a passive diffusion?

Is it conceivable that the fluid in the reservoir will have different characteristics than the fluid that is in the calipers and lines?
Hey Matthew87 and Torque124, here's my strategy!

I've been tracking my '11 Mustang GT and my '09 Miata pretty regularly (avg 2 weekends/month) the past year. I've never done a "complete brake system flush". Instead, just before each track weekend, I "bleed" approximately "12-16 inches" of fluid from the brake lines at each corner. This is the fluid that is the the oldest and most likely to have absorbed sufficient water to boil since it's closest to the hot calipers. Of course, with each bleed, I replenish the reservoir with the amount I bleed off at the calipers. Relatively fresh fluid is always at the calipers, and I'm not having to do a "complete system flush". With my wife's or friend's help, this pre-track bleed takes less than an hour for all 4 corners. I also take the opportunity to inspect and replace brake pads or rotors at the same time. I use about 500 ml of Motul RBF 600 every 3 weekends or so, and I've never had a soft brake pedal (brake fade) on the track or on the street by using this technique. Easy, fast, simple, and cheap insurance.

Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Great Info Guys!.. Good Luck Andy,, enjoy!....
popcorn1.gif

yosv0610

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yosvaldy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Shelby GT350R
I back what kevin said.
If it is your first event just go there and have fun!
"Start to feel the car"
increase gradually speeds.
You will not set any records today
But
You will become addicted. Lol
We have warned you :)
If this addiction becomes serious.
I would suggest :
1. Dot 4 fluid ( motul 660 or SRF)
2. Better pads (we can discuss in a separate post )
3. Better tires
By the way remember to have your initial tire pressure slighlty lower than normal.
TRY TO HAVE hot pressure around 34 psi ( so after the first session u come in measure pressure.
SO IF I MAY. I WOULD BUY A PRESSURE GAUGE on amazon.
Also be sure to have the lugnuts properly torque.

The car is very capable. You will have a blast.
Be safe. Respect the rule. And watch some video of the track to learn the turns.
Alessandro.
that’s a great advice!! Thanks...
Sponsored