Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Quite true, Greg but I think most would have bought two and just use the extra up over time. Lotsa rotatin' though.

KB
KB
Back in the day, operator manuals, had the oil capacity listed as without or with the filter change, with an added qt. for the later.

Personally I do not see that much variation shown. I also pre-charge the filter. Never giving a thought with regards to 12qt fill. Dip stick says car needs an extra qt to get the spec I 'm all in.
Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Greg: I hear ya amigo and <laughing> I'm WAY old enough to remember those oil change instructions and capactities. <BIG grin> Truth be told, all I ever remember doing with the old FRAM filters was to lube the threads and clean the gasket face. Even if we'd thought of pre-charging the element, you couldn't have put more than a few ounces in there before it would start running out as you begin to thread it on.

Raise your hand if you've ever punched a great big straight slot through one of those filters to break the SOB loose. <grin>

And those filter wrenches...was there EVER a product that was more fitting of the name,

"Rube Goldberg Contraption?"

No offense to the Goldbergs, of course. Geeze, I hated those things. Still have a couple for the mowers although rarely need 'em cuz I'm smarter now. <bigger grin>

And speaking of mowers, it's time to start what may be the last, next to the last, or next to the next of the last for the season. At least it isn't a hundred out. Fact is, it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood. <smile>

KB

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Greg: I hear ya amigo and <laughing> I'm WAY old enough to remember those oil change instructions and capactities. <BIG grin> Truth be told, all I ever remember doing with the old FRAM filters was to lube the threads and clean the gasket face. Even if we'd thought of pre-charging the element, you couldn't have put more than a few ounces in there before it would start running out as you begin to thread it on.

Raise your hand if you've ever punched a great big straight slot through one of those filters to break the SOB loose. <grin>

And those filter wrenches...was there EVER a product that was more fitting of the name,

"Rube Goldberg Contraption?"

No offense to the Goldbergs, of course. Geeze, I hated those things. Still have a couple for the mowers although rarely need 'em cuz I'm smarter now. <bigger grin>

And speaking of mowers, it's time to start what may be the last, next to the last, or next to the next of the last for the season. At least it isn't a hundred out. Fact is, it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood. <smile>

KB
Big screw driver indeed, "filter wrenches" oh man TV commercial today, Ronco oil filter wrenches, buy one get a Fram filter free just pay shipping scary LOL

ParsonsWV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2002 C5
Yes, I considered all that. There is residual oil all over the critical parts and wear isnt a huge concern, but as you mentioned, there is a lot of oil needed to fill the filter canister. The belly pan makes a canister prefil very dificult without making a horrible mess.

IMHO, the wear would be worse under power. The forces on bearings and other components are much higher under load.

Engine builders use a pre oiler system where they pressurize the engine oil system to get oil circulated around the entire engine before starting. I dont know what sustained psi would be needed to achieve a total engine lube, but i feel that some pressure is better than none.

I've started cars right after an oil change and have noticed the significant amount of time it takes to see a rise in oil pressure. Yesterday, oil pressure was immediate.

I have seen this discussed before and some say its beneficial while others say it is insignificant. It is my opinion that if I am seeing a significant increase in oil pressure after turning the engine over, that it is beneficial. There was an old TV commercial that went something like this.... starting your car is the worst thing you can do.
Haven't read past this post but I worked in a mechanic shop in high school. Started doing oil changes and changing tires. Was told when I did an oil change to put the recommended amount of oil in the car and then start it for 10-20 seconds. After that let it sit for a couple minutes and check oil level. Apparently some vehicles drained more efficiently than others because there was a couple cars that needed a little more added.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Haven't read past this post but I worked in a mechanic shop in high school. Started doing oil changes and changing tires. Was told when I did an oil change to put the recommended amount of oil in the car and then start it for 10-20 seconds. After that let it sit for a couple minutes and check oil level. Apparently some vehicles drained more efficiently than others because there was a couple cars that needed a little more added.
I put 11 qts in and let it sit overnight. Came out the next morning to put in whatever was needed to get it to the full mark on the dipstick. After 12 qts, I stopped.

Kpgarage

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford GT, 2006 Ford GT, 2020 GT500,2019 F150 KR, several t-birds
For what it is worth, the Ford GT 2005-2006 actually calls for holding the gas pedal to the floor as described which disables the fuel pumps and then cranking over until you get oil pressure. That car has a dry sump and all of the new oil is in the tank. I have not changed the oil yet in the 500 but that procedure as Tomcat described makes perfect sense. Thanks, KO
Sponsored