First disaster - snapped hood bolt

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Yeah, wondering if I need to use some M6 aluminum ones. I've never done Rivnuts myself but I see them everywhere. I want to fix the flimsy cheap studs in the hood and if I fix one, I may as well do all 4 while the hood is off.
I found the aluminum ones threads wear out quick if removed often and can loosen, lose their pressure grip. The Max Grip Steel ones as long as I do not over press them when installing them work great. I will use the steel ones if my CF Hood bolts come loose.
Sponsored

N0nya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT premium
This happened to me last week too. Luckily i found a buddy with a tig welder. Had him angle grind the stubs to clean them up a bit and welded the piece back on. Used an extra washer to fill the gap, some blue loctite and touch up paint to finish it off.

Now im just never gonna touch it again. Lesson learned

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I’d Like to install hood struts on my car, but after reading this, I think I’d back the torque down to maybe 10 ft-lbs and add blue loctite to help hold them steady.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I think Ford's tq specs are 20% overspecced purely as liability risk management and assumes no bolt reuse.

140 is overkill for the wheels. I have been using 90-120 forever and it's fine.

Your approach is solid. I would even do it snug feel with loctite. Can always just buy new bolts though.
"140 is overkill for the wheels" The wheels on my truck are 120.

Sponsored

Nardly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernard
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Twister Orange M2425 Chassis
I’d Like to install hood struts on my car, but after reading this, I think I’d back the torque down to maybe 10 ft-lbs and add blue loctite to help hold them steady.
I think the lesson here in 12 pages is just use a hand wrench and snug it up w/Loctite. Forget the torque wrenches! Mine have been on a year (Redline) and they're fine. What I haven't seen mentioned is the length of the tube for the windshield washers. Mine is stretched out tight with the hood open and there is no slack. Anyone else have this issue?

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Totally agree with those bolts, no reason at all for the use of a torque wrench.

mc68386

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
The root cause is Ford switching to a needle-d?ck micro bolt for the hood latches. The 2017 and older are a much more reasonable size.
That change probably saves them $0.23 per vehicle.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The root cause is Ford switching to a needle-d?ck micro bolt for the hood latches. The 2017 and older are a much more reasonable size.
That change probably saves them $0.23 per vehicle.

Are you writing about the same bolts being discussed?

Hood latch? hood struts?

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think the lesson here in 12 pages is just use a hand wrench and snug it up w/Loctite. Forget the torque wrenches! Mine have been on a year (Redline) and they're fine. What I haven't seen mentioned is the length of the tube for the windshield washers. Mine is stretched out tight with the hood open and there is no slack. Anyone else have this issue?

You might look into these, and come up with a fix.
Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 7.32.01 AM.png

Sponsored

Coffman75

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT, 2003 Ford F250 Crew Cab 4x4
It is with a heavy heart I have to ask a question on this particular thread but it happened and I have learned not to follow installation instructions, if I don't have the proper tools anyway lol. So I'm having a heck of a time trying to find someone comfortable enough to weld this stud back together. I think they are concerned with the paint on the hood from the heat. I am no expert and never claimed to be but I thought tig welding didn't put out as much heat.
Thought about just getting one of those long nuts (there is a proper name for this I am sure) and cut it to length then threading a new stud in with red loctite. Anyone try this or see why it wouldn't work? Any info is appreciated, thanks!

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Good quality rivnut is what I would do in this situation.
Has anyone successfully used a rivnut for this snapped hood stud issue? I don't recall seeing anyone posting that they used one (with photos and install instructions) and tnat it worked out well.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Has anyone successfully used a rivnut for this snapped hood stud issue? I don't recall seeing anyone posting that they used one (with photos and install instructions) and tnat it worked out well.
Rivnut is just rivnut, not sure what install instructions you expect? :) You stick it into a hole, press-in with rivnut tool and that's it. Obviously, broken bolt needs to be drilled out and some prep might be needed. I can't guarantee that it would work but that is the first thing I would try.
Sponsored