Sponsored

First disaster - snapped hood bolt

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I took this a little further . . . a 13mm head belongs with M8 threads, and a 10mm head is what an M6 bolt gets.

From there, a Grade 10.9 M6 fastener torque is listed at 17 Nm, which corresponds to 12.5 ft*lbs.

I'm betting on there being a units confusion somewhere along the line.

Norm
I don't know what the Ford service manual calls out for torque on the 2018 hood nuts, but Steeda says 10~12 ft-lbs for the 2018, and 17 ft-lbs for the 2015~2017. If the 2018 uses 6 mm hood studs, then 10~12 ft-lbs seems about right.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2255728&postcount=33

The 2015~2017 have 8 mm dia studs with 13 mm nuts, so I can see them taking 17 ft-lbs, which is what Ford calls out in the 2015~2017 service manual.
Sponsored

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I don't know what the Ford service manual calls out for torque on the 2018 hood nuts, but Steeda says 10~12 ft-lbs for the 2018, and 17 ft-lbs for the 2015~2017. If the 2018 uses 6 mm hood studs, then 10~12 ft-lbs seems about right.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2255728&postcount=33

The 2015~2017 have 8 mm dia studs with 13 mm nuts, so I can see them taking 17 ft-lbs, which is what Ford calls out in the 2015~2017 service manual.

I've checked probably a dozen different vehicles now and every single one uses the 13mm/8mm hood bracket bolts (including a 2016 Mustang), and the only one that uses the smaller 10mm/6mm bolt is the 2018 Mustang. Thanks, Ford for cheaping out on even the smallest of things. Great decision engineers!

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
I've checked probably a dozen different vehicles now and every single one uses the 13mm/8mm hood bracket bolts (including a 2016 Mustang), and the only one that uses the smaller 10mm/6mm bolt is the 2018 Mustang. Thanks, Ford for cheaping out on even the smallest of things. Great decision engineers!
This is a great point and what weight savings are there? Most likely only a few grams. And as far as cost savings from a 13mm to a 10mm bolt a fraction of a cent as far as production goes. Ford knows this and only a very small fraction of the Mustang owners will be changing out the hood prop for struts. So that being said Ford is really not concerned if you snap their new fasteners as they are building for the masses. It is what it is my friends so modify with caution. Yes indeed it sucks.

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
That's what concerns me, but we'll see for sure later on... maybe there's some magical slimline version he works with. Either way, I have some quiksteel arriving today from Amazon (JB Weld is a little harder to get hold of over here, but quicksteel is pretty much the same thing).

Watch this space. I don't intend to keep this broken for long. I'll post after pics etc.
Any update? I've been working too much the past few days.

drewzh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, Magnetic Grey, Magneride
Vehicle Showcase
Any update? I've been working too much the past few days.
Hey, I actually just got back from his shop (he had to delay for a few days due to other commitments).

First of all, he said in no way would he ever recommend using cold-weld products for such a job. He was very confident about this and I believe him.

Fortunately for me, I still had some thread left on the stud and he was able to tig weld a new thread on.

I wouldn't have even thought what he did was even possible (not that I have any clue about welding!), but he was super confident and did the job perfectly; I'm very impressed and as you can imagine, much less stressed knowing that it's fixed.

DaFjkHR.jpg

Steeda got back to me and apologised for the error and offered me a discount on further products and suggested that the best solution to a completely stripped stud, would be a rivet nut, but they couldn't be 100% certain of the interior construction of the bonnet so obviously said proceed with caution and YMMV.

I'll say this, my friend was quite nervous about drilling into the bonnet to re-thread or fit a rivet nut, as, like Steeda, it's impossible to know what's on the other side. I think we're pioneers here!

I wish you all the best of luck in fixing this, it's such a crappy situation.

Sponsored

control4userguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
...So that being said Ford is really not concerned if you snap their new fasteners as they are building for the masses...
I doubt anyone in body design ever thought about this in the first place.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
Try an easy out/screw extractor. Use a high speed tool (Dremel) to smooth the end of the broken bolt and start a pilot hole, then drill the pilot and use the extractor. Take your time and go slow. Practice with the high speed tool on something you don't care about if you have no experience. Good luck!
I've never been able to get one of those to work. They hate me.

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Hey, I actually just got back from his shop (he had to delay for a few days due to other commitments).

First of all, he said in no way would he ever recommend using cold-weld products for such a job. He was very confident about this and I believe him.

Fortunately for me, I still had some thread left on the stud and he was able to tig weld a new thread on.

I wouldn't have even thought what he did was even possible (not that I have any clue about welding!), but he was super confident and did the job perfectly; I'm very impressed and as you can imagine, much less stressed knowing that it's fixed.

DaFjkHR.jpg

Steeda got back to me and apologised for the error and offered me a discount on further products and suggested that the best solution to a completely stripped stud, would be a rivet nut, but they couldn't be 100% certain of the interior construction of the bonnet so obviously said proceed with caution and YMMV.

I'll say this, my friend was quite nervous about drilling into the bonnet to re-thread or fit a rivet nut, as, like Steeda, it's impossible to know what's on the other side. I think we're pioneers here!

Good for you. Whoever decided to call gluing something “cold welding” is an idiot and should have his internet helper card revoked.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
A rivet nut if inserted property will work just fine.

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10

DaFjkHR.jpg

Did you keep the struts? I emailed Steeda before you even broke yours but I haven't heard back yet. I could take a drive over so they could get a closer look. Friendly shop!

How much thread was left? I have a little bit sticking up still. I'll post up a photo tonight.

Sponsored

drewzh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've never been able to get one of those to work. They hate me.
I don't think that would be an option anyway. The stud isn't actually threaded in. You can't simply extract a stud in the way that you'd extract a broken bolt. It's press fitted.

drewzh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Did you keep the struts? I emailed Steeda before you even broke yours but I haven't heard back yet. I could take a drive over so they could get a closer look. Friendly shop!

How much thread was left? I have a little bit sticking up still. I'll post up a photo tonight.
Yes, the struts are actually really good and are now functioning great!

In regards to how much thread was left on, you can see from the left side of the image I just posted that there was very little left, maybe 4mm?

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Very strange. I don't see an image in your post but I do see the image tag in there. I'll see if I can grab a quick shot of mine.

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Here is mine.
20180606_141308a.jpg