Sponsored

First 3 track days... What's next?

brokenblinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2012 Leaf daily
Thanks for all the help I received here prior to my recent trackdays. I had an absolute blast over the last month. Did my first day at Thunderhill in March, then a weekend at Thunderhill last weekend. Only car updates were to get a new set of pads after the first trackday, which held up great for the second weekend.

I'm not ready to A) think about what I need to do to maintain the car and B) think about what I might want to change about the car from here.

In the A) category:
  1. I did an oil change right before these 3 trackdays. Combined, it was about 2.5-3 hours of track time, with no other miles than driving to/from the track (600 miles total). Should I go ahead with an oil change anyway? The oil life counter shows 70% still.
  2. I need to check/drain the oil catch can
  3. I bled the brakes between the first and second trips, so I plan on doing it after this recent one as well. I had great pedal feel through the day
  4. Any other fluids I should be checking/refreshing? Car is at 22,000 miles.
  5. I plan on swapping back to a street pad till my next event. I got the Caliperfexion studs I plan on installing as I swap.
  6. I'm worried I felt a clutch slip once or twice during my sessions. It happened when I was accidentally in a taller gear than planned, so revs dropped to like 4K (peak torque), and revs surged a little bit before falling. Could have been a traction slip, not sure. Seems like it would be crazy early for clutch slip. Going to see if I have video of any moments it may have occurred to analyze.

In the B) category:
  1. I'm considering a mild track alignment. I do not daily the car, it is only used for canyon joy rides and the track (or driving to/from). I think this would mean I need to order camber plates? Potentially some parts for the rear as well?
  2. My tires are new before the recent 3 trackdays (Michelent Pilot Sport 4S). I think they'll last quite a while longer, but I have been thinking about a square setup. Particularly, the Apex VS5-RS
  3. I have the comfort seats....and wish I had the Recaros now that I'm tracking it. Anyone fancy trading 1?
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
A)
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Differential and transmission
5. OEM pads for street and track
6. Probably not the clutch. Most likely traction control

B)
1. Yes, camber plates
2. I use cup 2s
3. No, buy a race seat if you have sofa seats.

SchnellGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
The Caliperfexion studs are pretty slick. Just installed mine last weekend. Get the extensions (forget what they are called) that allow you to simply slide the caliper out of the way and not have to worry about how you're going to prop it up and not stress the brake line. They simply screw right onto the ends of the studs and act as extended guides. Really nicely designed stuff.

Specracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Said with humor.... just stop.... Continued track days, might lead to irrational thoughts of getting a dedicated track car, and getting into full on road racing (ask me how I know).

You might have this covered, but as you get faster, consider additional safety gear, like a harness set up, that will allow the use of a Hans (note you can also get a Simpson Hybrid that is certified to work with an OEM 3 point belt).

Sponsored

OP
OP

brokenblinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any advice on seat options that have more hold but are also street able? I'd also like to sit a bit lower if possible (I have to recline a bit with a helmet). I'm 6'1", 220.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Ditto on the HANS device. I didn't think much of it during my first several track sessions, but after a bit of an adventure at Watkins Glen at 130+ MPH I decided to buy one :giggle:

https://discoveryparts.com/simpson-...t-works-with-3-way-seat-belt-simpson-hys.html

Chin-Wins-10 for 10% off at checkout

FWIW I also have the sofa seats. I'm 5'8 and 215. The Recaros were just too uncomfortable for me. My back/lats were killing me after only a few minutes in the seat. I suggest you try to sit in a car with the really squeezy side bolters to see if they work for you first. Sofa seats work fine for me. I just have to work a bit harder to stay in place but its part of the on track work out :like:

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350/'95 F250/'65 Fastback/'96 Cobra Project
Ditto on the HANS device. I didn't think much of it during my first several track sessions, but after a bit of an adventure at Watkins Glen at 130+ MPH I decided to buy one :giggle:

https://discoveryparts.com/simpson-...t-works-with-3-way-seat-belt-simpson-hys.html

Chin-Wins-10 for 10% off at checkout

FWIW I also have the sofa seats. I'm 5'8 and 215. The Recaros were just too uncomfortable for me. My back/lats were killing me after only a few minutes in the seat. I suggest you try to sit in a car with the really squeezy side bolters to see if they work for you first. Sofa seats work fine for me. I just have to work a bit harder to stay in place but its part of the on track work out :like:
I have sofa seats that I very much appreciate on the street. With harnesses I feel plenty stable on the track.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
DB5BDC44-9326-4D84-8200-EA8C9CD9042F.jpeg
Thanks for all the help I received here prior to my recent trackdays. I had an absolute blast over the last month. Did my first day at Thunderhill in March, then a weekend at Thunderhill last weekend. Only car updates were to get a new set of pads after the first trackday, which held up great for the second weekend.

I'm not ready to A) think about what I need to do to maintain the car and B) think about what I might want to change about the car from here.

In the A) category:
  1. I did an oil change right before these 3 trackdays. Combined, it was about 2.5-3 hours of track time, with no other miles than driving to/from the track (600 miles total). Should I go ahead with an oil change anyway? The oil life counter shows 70% still.
  2. I need to check/drain the oil catch can
  3. I bled the brakes between the first and second trips, so I plan on doing it after this recent one as well. I had great pedal feel through the day
  4. Any other fluids I should be checking/refreshing? Car is at 22,000 miles.
  5. I plan on swapping back to a street pad till my next event. I got the Caliperfexion studs I plan on installing as I swap.
  6. I'm worried I felt a clutch slip once or twice during my sessions. It happened when I was accidentally in a taller gear than planned, so revs dropped to like 4K (peak torque), and revs surged a little bit before falling. Could have been a traction slip, not sure. Seems like it would be crazy early for clutch slip. Going to see if I have video of any moments it may have occurred to analyze.

In the B) category:
  1. I'm considering a mild track alignment. I do not daily the car, it is only used for canyon joy rides and the track (or driving to/from). I think this would mean I need to order camber plates? Potentially some parts for the rear as well?
  2. My tires are new before the recent 3 trackdays (Michelent Pilot Sport 4S). I think they'll last quite a while longer, but I have been thinking about a square setup. Particularly, the Apex VS5-RS
  3. I have the comfort seats....and wish I had the Recaros now that I'm tracking it. Anyone fancy trading 1?
Don’t get a Recaro seat, get a real track seat that has a crotch slot for a 5/6 harness
Corbeau gt4, reclining seat is a great compromise for a car that is still driven in the street
Anyone that say that a regular seat with a 4 pts harness hold you in place, are simply not going fast enough….😁

Last edited:

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I have sofa seats that I very much appreciate on the street. With harnesses I feel plenty stable on the track.
What harness do you use? Do you have a cage?

Sponsored

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350/'95 F250/'65 Fastback/'96 Cobra Project
What harness do you use? Do you have a cage?
No cage or bar. I use Schroth QuickFit Pro harnesses which are designed to be used in vehicles without a roll bar. I added anti-sub straps that attach to a bracket made by a TMO member (I sit on them). I use a HANS device with the harness.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
There are some leather Recaros for the S550 available from Ford. They would be a good alternative if you can’t source the Shelby Recaros. A lot depends on how much track time you’re gonna get vs street miles.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
No cage or bar. I use Schroth QuickFit Pro harnesses which are designed to be used in vehicles without a roll bar. I added anti-sub straps that attach to a bracket made by a TMO member (I sit on them). I use a HANS device with the harness.
Ah okay. Thanks!

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
A)
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Differential and transmission
5. OEM pads for street and track
6. Probably not the clutch. Most likely traction control

B)
1. Yes, camber plates
2. I use cup 2s
3. No, buy a race seat if you have sofa seats.

Perfect. Want to add, a race seat as in fixed. No adjustment

OP
OP

brokenblinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like them for street driving, but I have to recline them on the track for head/helmet clearance.
Sponsored