Financial decision having regrets now

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
15k? More like 30k to replace a larger battery pack.
Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
The motors may run for a million miles, but the batteries don't.

I can't see it. Batteries eventually wear down, whether their used or not. And the cost of a new battery pack could cost up tp $15K.
Could you ever see an EV becoming a historical(25+ yrs) car? How many classic cars still have the original engines with very low miles. The engine didn't go bad over the years for low use. But an EV's battery will eventually die from not being used. You may have to replace the battery 2 or 3 times over 25 yrs. Besides the actual cost of the battery + labor, you don't think they will eventually impart a large hazardous disposal fee on those batteries? There's a tremendous amount of toxic metals in those batteries, that has to be properly handled. You won't be able to take your old, beat up EV to the junk yard for scrap. No junk yard will want the responsibility of handling and storing those batteries for proper disposal.
Maybe you should start another thread on this very subject. I for one would like to learn what others know about how they think the future will pan out.
I‘m really not seeing how switching over to all electric will work. I mean infrastructure alone can make your head explode just thinking about it.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Maybe you should start another thread on this very subject. I for one would like to learn what others know about how they think the future will pan out.
I‘m really not seeing how switching over to all electric will work. I mean infrastructure alone can make your head explode just thinking about it.
I think that would be interesting too but this is the internet so you can see how it will go. Fanatics will escalate by shouting over reason, people will become convinced they're right long before they listen to anybody else, then it will go political and [enter name of political party person didn't vote for] will get blamed for it all.

Sponsored

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
We don't need to worry anymore, they figured it out.

Change the moon's orbit.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/lunar-deal-gop-rep-gohmert-203800806.html
"I was informed by the immediate past director of NASA that they've found that the moon's orbit is changing slightly and so is the Earth's orbit around the sun. We know there's been significant solar flare activity," he said. "And so, is there anything that the National Forest Service or BLM can do to change the course of the moon's orbit or the Earth's orbit around the sun? Obviously, that would have profound effects on our climate."

Eberlien responded, smiling, "I would have to follow up with you on that one, Mr. Gohmert."

"If you figure out there's a way in the Forest Service you could make that change, I'd like to know," Gohmert said.
LOL!!

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
I have no idea why you'd sell two vehicles you enjoyed for a soulless oversized Power Wheel. Did someone talk you into it? If it was just to make "a profit" I would say to you that money isn't everything. I also would never look at a car as an investment; vehicles are tools meant to be used and you're not a millionaire collector who can afford to buy one and not do anything with it. Hey it's your money though. 🤷‍♂️

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; To the OP. I will follow this thread not to give you grief, but to see how it works out for you. I do not want an EV but may be forced into one. It will be of interest to learn how an ICE guy takes to the EV. In between the other sorts of posts I will be looking for your take on how it is going.
You know, things like finding chargers. Taking a long trip.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
A good friend of mine has a Tesla. He uses it to go to and from work. Says it is great for that. About 40 miles round trip. He says he gets worried when he hits the 100 mile mark. No charging stations around here.

Someone asked about charging the Mach E. 1 hour on a standard charger gives 8 miles. I think the source was Car and driver.

For my friend it made sense, tax incentive and he wrote it off as a business expense, plus he could claim he was saving the planet. Helps getting millennials as customers.

The Moon thing; Yes I believe the earth's and the moon's orbits contribute to the climate, I also think some believe we can do something about it.

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
There’s a Tesla roadster on BAT with a bricked battery pack if anyone is interested
[/QUOTEI can't see it. Batteries eventually wear down, whether their used or not. And the cost of a new battery pack could cost up tp $15K.
Could you ever see an EV becoming a historical(25+ yrs) car? How many classic cars still have the original engines with very low miles. The engine didn't go bad over the years for low use. But an EV's battery will eventually die from not being used. You may have to replace the battery 2 or 3 times over 25 yrs. Besides the actual cost of the battery + labor, you don't think they will eventually impart a large hazardous disposal fee on those batteries? There's a tremendous amount of toxic metals in those batteries, that has to be properly handled. You won't be able to take your old, beat up EV to the junk yard for scrap. No junk yard will want the responsibility of handling and storing those batteries for proper disposal.
I predict eventual job losses and salary reductions in the car repair business as a result of electrification of the automotive industry.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes I believe the earth's and the moon's orbits contribute to the climate, I also think some believe we can do something about it.
the 3 super powers could each donate 100 warheads to the cause and have enough left to annihilate the rest of the planet several times over. Destroy the evil evil moon. What could possibly go wrong.

FKE SNK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350, 93 Cobra clone
I've been extremely close to EV's for the past 8 years - you didn't make a mistake, you just made a change. It's been stated but there is no better daily driver. My biggest concern for the Mach-E would be current infrastructure and charging options. I was in Charlotte a few weeks ago for Track Attack and they were literally everywhere. It looks like a fun car to drive and instant torque is appealing to anyone on this forum: don't knock it until you try it.

I used to Auto-X my Model S and I've driven all over the Midwest fully electric. I even made several laps at Road America. Never had a problem yet.....

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I think right now Hybrid is and should be the logical transition from exclusive gas powered engines. It's just a more practical middle ground for hi mile commuters and people taking road trips. You can still stretch your trips without worrying about the next charging station.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
I have no idea why you'd sell two vehicles you enjoyed for a soulless oversized Power Wheel. Did someone talk you into it? If it was just to make "a profit" I would say to you that money isn't everything. I also would never look at a car as an investment; vehicles are tools meant to be used and you're not a millionaire collector who can afford to buy one and not do anything with it. Hey it's your money though. 🤷‍♂️
Yeah I agree. Why is a good question to ask lol. Not sure if there were extenuating circumstances, but I don't really know why anyone would sell their fun car and their truck (which is the most functional vehicle) just to get an average subpar CUV that happens to be an EV. I guess if OP really wanted the Mach E then thats fine I guess, but he wouldn't have posted wanting people to reaffirm his decision. I get it if you want to trade in or sell your car, you can get a good deal. What I don't understand is why use that money and turn around and buy another car. You are just trading debt. At least wait until the prices lower and buy pre-owned so you can make more money.

I sure as hell would have second thoughts too if I sold my Mustang and my truck only to turn around and spend the money on a brand new car. If the cars were broken and were a pain then I get it, but if they were perfectly fine then I don't get it. Maybe if your wife is nagging at you to get rid of the car or it's just a pain in the ass because of space to have two cars then I get it, but I wouldn't have seconds thoughts if I got rid of them. I'd be happy lol.

Its not my money so yeah like you said I don't really care, I've made plenty of stupid decisions with my money before, but Im not the one seeking validation. Yes he made a bad decision imo.
Sponsored

Last edited: