Sponsored

FI System with least Heat Soak Issues

vtknight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I guessed that would be the smart thing. I know when I used to use Alcohol and Nitro, I would first put any Seals or O Rings in a glass of it for 24 hours and then examine to see if they had swelled or deteriorated. Plus unless the Fuel Pump was designed to run this 24 7 at some time it will be negatively affected. I do appreciate your help.
No problem - and yes - the fuel system we had were all designed for ethanol use in mind.
Sponsored

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
I could be wrong, I do not believe that any of the popular mustang tuners are using the flex fuel logic for their E85 tunes on FI. I do know that it is popular without FI, but I believe the fact that it is somewhat slow to adapt makes it too risky for FI.

vtknight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I could be wrong, I do not believe that any of the popular mustang tuners are using the flex fuel logic for their E85 tunes on FI. I do know that it is popular without FI, but I believe the fact that it is somewhat slow to adapt makes it too risky for FI.
Lund is tuning my build - and I think you are correct that they do separate pump and E85 tunes. That said I had flex fuel on my 1650 whp non-Mustang build - and it exists on even more powerful builds on the same platform - so I don't think it is accurate to state it isn't a solid FI option.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Lund is tuning my build - and I think you are correct that they do separate pump and E85 tunes. That said I had flex fuel on my 1650 whp non-Mustang build - and it exists on even more powerful builds on the same platform - so I don't think it is accurate to state it isn't a solid FI option.
In the last 3-4 years I have yet to encounter a tuner (remote or local) that will do a flex tune on a boosted Coyote. E85 tune sure. Pump gas sure. Flex for NA sure. But not FI flex on a newer Mustang.

vtknight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
In the last 3-4 years I have yet to encounter a tuner (remote or local) that will do a flex tune on a boosted Coyote. E85 tune sure. Pump gas sure. Flex for NA sure. But not FI flex on a newer Mustang.
I have no doubt you are correct...I am interested to know why. That said for my Whipple setup - having to change the belt anyway - getting the E85 tune loaded isn't a big issue. You are going to run around with the same belt until you change it out anyway.

Sponsored

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
I have no doubt you are correct...I am interested to know why. That said for my Whipple setup - having to change the belt anyway - getting the E85 tune loaded isn't a big issue. You are going to run around with the same belt until you change it out anyway.
Was your other build on a Ford platform? If not, that could explain why. Ford does not use an actual sensor and their logic is slower to adapt compared to other manufacturers.

OP
OP
DougS550

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
?

Last edited:

vtknight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Was your other build on a Ford platform? If not, that could explain why. Ford does not use an actual sensor and their logic is slower to adapt compared to other manufacturers.
No - as I said above - different platform. A poor fuel sensor system - that would explain it...

vtknight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
You are correct. I was told by Whipple and Hillion that a flex tune is the safest way to go. The loss in HP was negligible. Thanks for your input
Okay - some different feedback. Whipple and Hellion are good sources - direct. I will say the concept is a good thing if it works on the platform as intended and expected. It worked well for some non-Mustang builds I have owned. Ethanol is a game changer and it is the only fuel I use today (E98). This build will be my first use of E85.

OP
OP
DougS550

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Okay - some different feedback. Whipple and Hellion are good sources - direct. I will say the concept is a good thing if it works on the platform as intended and expected. It worked well for some non-Mustang builds I have owned. Ethanol is a game changer and it is the only fuel I use today (E98). This build will be my first use of E85.
I corrected my post. I am going through my emails to see exactly what and who said what concerning the flex tune.

Sponsored

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
I have left pump E85 in my tank for months, over the winter, and it fires right up whenever I feel like driving the car. Going on 2 years straight of running E85 exclusively on my car.

OP
OP
DougS550

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
I have left pump E85 in my tank for months, over the winter, and it fires right up whenever I feel like driving the car. Going on 2 years straight of running E85 exclusively on my car.
That is good news to hear. What set up are you running. I didn't see the info on your Member Info.
Just wondering. How does your car start up and drive? is it close to OEM?
Thank you for your help

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Centris would be your best bet.

OP
OP
DougS550

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Centris would be your best bet.
Yep, that seems to be the way to go. Some people I don't think fully under stand how damaging a high intake charge is to an engine. Thanks for your help.