Sponsored

FI Reliability Support— Beyond OPG/CS

ToxicOverwatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Silverado- extremely stock
It seems that we have many threads discussing basic support gear, such as oil pump gears, crank sprocket, etc. occasionally in these threads, I have seen members mention additional support work being put in or suggested.

It also seems that there are an abundance of guys who want to install a basic FI kit and be somewhere around 6xx hp. And most agree that a majority will not find this to be satisfactory after sometime. It seems to be inevitable of bumping up boost or pulleying down to chase that dragon. I am absolutely in this same category.

I would be very interested to see if there is a collective consensus of supporting mods/work to the powertrain to support daily driving reliability for the guys hoping to grow beyond the initial 6xx hp (let’s say up to 900 hp) More of less, a sequential list of most critical fail points for the s550.

Example:

1) Oil Pump Gears and Crank Sprocket
2) Transmission clutch(s)
3) Pistons and rods
4) Ring Lands
5) Half shafts

Obviously, there is a financial point to where guys are better off buying or building a purpose shortblock. For conversation sake, let’s stay with what’s reasonable to improve the stock coyote before it makes more financial sense to purchase a built engine/transmission.
Sponsored

Last edited:

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
You will get varying opinions here with no clear direction. Get with someone or shop with experience with the s550, go over your goals and budget, then build your own plan. There will always disagreement on approach. Come up with a plan and stick with it. If it's not right, you will figure it out as we all do.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
1. Cats
2. Ring lands
3. Lots of drivetrain stuff
4. Opg/cs

Wraith_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
How hard you drive it, or how often you drive it hard will be a big factor also on what items you may need or want sooner then later. I daily my 2017 with a Paxton kit making over 750 whp on stock clutch, drive shaft & axles. I don't beat the hell out of it every day. I don't have to prove to every car that pulls up how fast it is LOL, but I do drive it spirited on a weekly basis. I take it to the track a couple times a year just for fun. The stock clutch does ok but if you do a lot of 5th gear pulls it will wear out quick.

Sponsored

usefvlidiot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
164,XXX miles on mine, ESS G2 (10lbs) on Race Gas, factory OPG/sprocket ~720whp, Lund tuned, LPXHD Clutch, stock (2nd trans, but blew the shift forks at 50k before it was boosted) mt82-d4. Absolutely no issues. But anything above 750-800 and i would maybe change the OPG/sprocket. Rings are probably the next failure point after that. If on Stock header w/ cats and FI, kiss them goodbye as well lol. Not much for there to go wrong as long as you service it in the correct intervals and the tune being spot on (the most important factor). If you're on E85 a lot i would maybe expect your DI Injectors getting stuck around 90-100k miles, had a fun time with those failing on me.

furdfan2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
A stock short block with top ring gaps opened to ~.020 or so would probably last literally forever at 800whp.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
164,XXX miles on mine, ESS G2 (10lbs) on Race Gas, factory OPG/sprocket ~720whp, Lund tuned, LPXHD Clutch, stock (2nd trans, but blew the shift forks at 50k before it was boosted) mt82-d4. Absolutely no issues. But anything above 750-800 and i would maybe change the OPG/sprocket. Rings are probably the next failure point after that. If on Stock header w/ cats and FI, kiss them goodbye as well lol. Not much for there to go wrong as long as you service it in the correct intervals and the tune being spot on (the most important factor). If you're on E85 a lot i would maybe expect your DI Injectors getting stuck around 90-100k miles, had a fun time with those failing on me.
164,XXX miles!!! That is impressive!!! Coyote is a beast.

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
crank support brace
crank saver stud kit

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
It's pretty simple, if you had to sell a complex mechanical assembly and YOU had to provide a warranty on it where you would repair most failures at your own costs would you A) Push the output near the failure point of the weaker parts of the entire system or B) Design the components so that any output was well within a factor of utilization or safety?

The second aspect here is one of system variability.

A stock motor can actually handle an ass load of torque......UNDER PERFECT CONDITIONS.

Start to throw in imperfect fuel, imperfect temperatures, loading of the drivetrain (the load on the drivetrain is vastly different on a dyno roller than it is on the street with hundreds of lbs of occupants and actually accelerating the car forward.)

The example I use is this..............how many people can you fit in a 12' aluminum boat? The answer is it depends. If you're sitting next to the dock on a flat pond, you could PROBABLY fit over a dozen people on the boat before it swamps and sinks. If you're trying to run the boat at 35 mph in 3-5 foot swells out on the ocean, you'd be lucky to get more than a couple in the boat before it risks going under.

So the answer to your question is one of.........which are the weaker parts of the entire complex system and how can we extend the reliability of an FI setup?

A) use the car differently, don't flog it when it's hot in back to back to back rips like you would abuse an overdesigned, underpowered stock motor. Don't lug the motor in high gear at low rpms.

B) Use quality fuel (like E85) that you can actually verify it's quality rather than rolling the dice on 93.

C) Overengineer and underutilize. If you want it to last at 1000 rwhp, then build it to handle 1500 horsepower.

Most car enthusiasts want to cut corners and take every system and component right to the ragged edge. This very question "how much can xxxx handle" gets asked thousands of times a month in different forms.

You can have it fast, you can have it cheap, you can have it reliable. Pick any two.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ToxicOverwatch

ToxicOverwatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Silverado- extremely stock
The correct answer for this type of thread.

Bravo good sir!
I’m sorry guys. I really am not trying to start some sort of thread that causes you to be annoyed. I’m just trying to learn.

The truth is, there are plenty of people just like me that come and go in this community. I truly wish I had the knowledge based that you guys do. But the cold hard truth is, I don’t. I didn’t have a father that took the time to show me these things, and I’ve not been blessed with resources and opportunities to learn. People like me are creating those opportunities and trying to not reinvent the wheel by connecting with knowledgeable people. There is no better place to do that than on an online forum where people literally go to discuss things of this nature.

Just trying to learn something here and put together a thread that could be useful for somebody down the road.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I’m sorry guys. I really am not trying to start some sort of thread that causes you to be annoyed. I’m just trying to learn.

The truth is, there are plenty of people just like me that come and go in this community. I truly wish I had the knowledge based that you guys do. But the cold hard truth is, I don’t. I didn’t have a father that took the time to show me these things, and I’ve not been blessed with resources and opportunities to learn. People like me are creating those opportunities and trying to not reinvent the wheel by connecting with knowledgeable people. There is no better place to do that than on an online forum where people literally go to discuss things of this nature.

Just trying to learn something here and put together a thread that could be useful for somebody down the road.
This is why the forums are here. At least that's what they are SUPPOSED to be for. People sharing knowledge about things that they are passionate about. You have no need to feel bad. People have a tendency to be harsh on the internet. Harsher then they would be if the person they are being harsh with, happened to stand in front of them. The relative anonymity of the internet causes a coarsening of society. Ask your questions, people who answer honestly are trying to give their opinion, anyone that tries to make you feel like you are annoying them, or that you are stupid for asking, ignore them. There are a lot of people willing to share their knowledge here. Just know that there are a lot of opinions and things that are presented as facts, can sometimes NOT be. Some of the people that responded in this thread conveniently have forgotten that they didn't know everything they THINK they know at some point, probably not that long ago.

furdfan2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang

Just having fun with ya. All good.

Tons of good info on this forum.
Sponsored