Sponsored

FI - How do they feel?

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
As we are being pummeled with freezing rain today and I haven’t yet pulled the trigger for FI (baby is hibernating), I thought, how do the options feel when driving?

My car is a 16 auto with stock stall convertible.

My questions are these: how do each of my options feel when driving? Does one feel faster than the other?

I’ve owned centris before so know they pull progressively harder. But how about on this car?

How does a Whipple feel? Strong pull initially then a little softer as the RPMs go up? I’ve never been in one so I don’t know.

Turbo?

Is one more exciting to drive? I’m talking typical street driving. Is one “boring”?

Which has better / more character?

The car may only see the track once or twice a year on rentals only as I will be punted after a run or two.

They all make great power, the decision is so difficult!

Will I hear one more than the other in the convertible?

I know, this is subjective.

Let’s hear your views!!!

Thanks!
Sponsored

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
I came from a Procharger D1SC and I found it fun but really not "throw you back in your seat" fun. It made nearly 700whp so it wasn't weak or anything. It just wasn't as exciting as I had hoped. I also didn't like that it was loud when I was idling or driving slowly but it was quiet when I was getting into boost. I prefer the opposite lol.

I now have twin turbos and it makes similar numbers on wastegate boost. It is WAY better power delivery. The car feels a lot faster since you're at full boost right away.

But then you turn the boost up with the turbos and it's a wild ride. I really don't think a centri blower could match the fun factor of turbos. It may be a more in-depth install and a bit more expensive, but it's worth it for sure.

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
The car I drive makes right at 660 wheel on normal pump gas. (stock procharger stage2 kit, no changes)

Every person that drives it says the same thing... "Holy poop, thats a lot faster then I thought it would be... dang"

Now, I can say that if the tuning is not correct (no matter what power adder) these cars will limit the power output on the street greatly.
I have gone for a ride in cars that dyno 800hp, yet can't hardly break the tires loose at 45mph. (obviously somethings not right)

So basically you will LOVE forced induction, and its pretty much the best thing since_____________

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
the S550's don't feel as fast as the S197's. they obviousl are just as ( or more than) capable but for instance my 13 GT500 with 700rwhp felt like it was going to kill you with all the torque, spinning, shifting, etc. my 800-ish rwhp S550 was relatively tame compared to that.

Sponsored

Supercharged__5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I absolutely love my Paxton! FI will be the best thing you do to the car by far. As you mentioned about your previous centri's this car will be no different. My Paxton pulls hard, and only pulls harder as the RPMs climb. It makes less torque than turbos, but for a street car I think that actually helps keep traction on initial acceleration. I break my 325/30R19 Mickey Thompsons Loose at any RPM in 2nd gear, but I hook up very well at 60mph doing 3rd gear pulls. As for the sound the BOV is very cool sounding, but the blower doesn't really make that much noise. It makes a slight whistle at low rpms and idle.

OP
OP
Torinate

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Thanks for the replies!

How about the auto guys... what do you feel?

Tune will likely be Lund as that’s who I’ve sued so far.

What about the Whipple or Edelbrock guys, how do those feel? Turbos?

Thanks again!

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the replies!

Thanks again!
I've had Whipples on pretty much all of the mustangs I've owned over the last 10 or so years. I love the instant power they give you, and I've never had any issues with them being streetable on a daily basis.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I find the Whipple a little boring TBH.
The power is SO linear that there’s really no moment in time where it feels like it’s “coming on“. It’s quick, but it really doesn’t FEEL fast if that makes sense?
This bloke gets it:

TripleB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Snack Pack- Whipple Stage 2
The power is SO linear that there’s really no moment in time where it feels like it’s “coming on“. It’s quick, but it really doesn’t FEEL fast if that makes sense?
This bloke gets it:
I think it's deceiving. The power as you said comes on so linear and so fucking fast that before you know it you're in going to jail speed.

I actually prefer the way whipple delivers the power. I've been in turbo cars that will lag lag lag boom power comes on and at 70 they blow the tires off Fuck that... that shit is scary

Sponsored

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
I've been in turbo cars that will lag lag lag boom power comes on and at 70 they blow the tires off Fuck that... that shit is scary
Doesn't sound like you're talking about a Coyote turbo car. No lag here lol.

OP
OP
Torinate

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
This bloke gets it:
Thanks!

Nice little video. Didn’t realize how loud the VMP is. Did hear the Whipple a little. Hard to tell from the video about what pulled harder other than the whine.

Still looking for something similar in an auto. Stick cars will behave a certain way and autos another.

How does the Whipple do with an auto or a centri do with an auto?

Initial hit versus the linear pushing you back in the seat more as the rpms climb??

PC 2015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ordered 2019 ruby red pp1 A10 with whipple stage 2
I've had a centri, turbo and now a whipple with the coyote platform. They all made/make great power. I would rate them as fun on the street
1.Whipple (nothing like instant tq fun fun fun and the quality is top notch)
2.Turbo (pulled like a Freight train more things to break and tinkering)
3.Centri (I felt like I wasted my money. Was never happy with the power delivery)
And yes they all drove like stock when driving normal. IMO the 5.0 is small and need some down low grunt and Cant speak for the other PD blowers but the whipple stage 2 will pull hard till redline. Now I have 19 A10. I have spent/wasted thousands on all these setups. This is all My Opinion.

Last edited:

Supercharged__5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Thanks for the replies!

Thanks again!
Mine is an Auto!

FYI I did have to rebuild my transmission with the Exedy clutches after about 3000 miles. I had a bad tune from my first tuner and it caused premature wear of the clutches. My current tune and the new clutches are holding very well.

OP
OP
Torinate

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
This bloke gets it:
In the video, it appears they only swapped the rotor pack and not the intercooler. Did I see that wrong?
Sponsored