Sponsored

Fast Ticking Sound from Gear Shift Area - FIXED!!!

vintage2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I have a stock 2017 Mustang GT PP (401A package, manual transmission) with about 7K miles on it. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas what this sound might be. I started to hear this very soft clicking/ticking fan type noise (almost like background white noise) in the cabin coming from behind the centre dash control area which becomes more audible on acceleration and at highway speeds where the car runs smoothly. If you drove around at city speeds you would not really hear anything. The same sound exists whether the HVAC/or fan system is on or off or the stereo system is on or off. Pressing on or off the gas has no impact on the sound - it is constant. The car has no squeaks or rattles and runs well.

Thanks
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Well, since you mention “clicking”, the first thing that comes to mind is the HVAC blend door actuators. I’m not sure if they are circuit board activated or vacuum activated (like older cars). I’ve read on other forums for the Explorer, Expedition and F-Series that when those have issues they click.

If white noise, like say radio noise “static”, I’m not sure what that could be related to behind the dash.

If you turn off the HVAC or SYNC systems completely (1 system at a time), does the noise still exist?

OP
OP

vintage2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Thanks for the reply. When I said white noise I was really refering to the low audible constant rhythmic tick/click sound.

When the HVAC and SYNC systems are off I still hear it. Will try 1 system at a time tomorrow when back o highway although I may have done that. Also today I did a master Sync reset as i know that system does have climate control capability. Will know more on that tomprrow too.

One thing that could be tripping me up here is it could be a vibration from somewhere else or what about the speedo cable - not sure if there is one.

Last edited:
OP
OP

vintage2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
The sound appears to be coming from the manual gear box and I notice a very slight vibration in the shifter that seems to align with the sound if that makes any sense. It is a constant very fast ticking sound - almost like a fast spinning wheel with a card stop that is running up against pegs on the outer ring of the wheel. Gas, no gas, clutch in out, does not matter what gear or in neutral , the sound is consistent and becomes more audible as you go faster but is generally the same volumn after 100km/hour and the sound dies down and disappears as you slow down/stop. If I turn on music or HVAC system, you can't hear it very well at lower speeds. Car is always solid when driving - shifts well, steering has no shake, rear view mirror is solid.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP

vintage2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
The sound appears to be coming from the manual gear box and I notice a vibration in the shifter that seems to align with the sound if that makes any sense. It is a constant very fast ticking sound - almost like a fast spinning wheel with a card stop that is running up against pegs on the outer ring of the wheel. Gas, no gas, clutch in out, does not matter what gear or in neutral , the sound is consistent and becomes more audible as you go faster but is generally the same volumn after 100km/hour and the sound dies down and disappears as you slow down/stop. I have put pressure on shifter and pulled up reverse collar and no change. If I turn on music or HVAC system, you can't hear it very well at lower speeds. Car is always solid when driving - shifts well, steering has no shake, rear view mirror is solid.

Hope this helps. Thanks.
Any thoughts on this? Transmission, driveline, shifter related, etc? Dealer took for drive and sent a note to engineering for feedback and will drive another car for comparison.

Sponsored

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
flywheel bolts backing out? My manual vibrates in every gear so I thought that was just normal nvh.

bloodocean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
Grab your reverse lockout on the shifter while driving, I bet the noise stops.

It’s just the mt82 vibes ringing thru the shifter assembly. For me 4th is the noisiest. Play some music.

I test drove 3 or 4 GTs - there is a lot of variation in tranny noise but they all did it.

OP
OP

vintage2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
thanks for the reply. it's been confirmed by the dealer based on their test drive it's coming from the transmission - oh and they say it is normal. They also drove a few others. up to 10k (the week before last) it was as quiet as a mouse. i know these transmissions are inherently not quiet and have heard the 'normal' response from others but.....around the city no big deal as the sound is not overly audible - that's where the dealer drove it only. on the highway is another matter.....it's loud and frankly embarrassing / laughable to think this is a normal condition. I do crank up the music not to hear it! dealer has agreed to take it for a test drive on highway now. I tried the reverse collar and no change. there must be something in the transmission that is not right that is causing this no? I am going to have an independent transmission shop take it for a drive at the end of the week to get their take on it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

vintage2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Had a transmission shop test drive the car. Said the transmission was fine. Thought is was drive line related. It then went up on a hoist and the tech saw the barcode label/tag on the driveshaft was coming off and in the process when the driveshaft was spinning the tag was hitting the body and making the ticking noise. Car is quiet again (relatively speaking!). I am so happy. Ford took my 2016 Mustang back for a bad weld in the frame so I was sweating. I had a large thread on this.

I am very disappointed the dealer did not put the car up on the hoist to begin with just to do a visual check. The warranty process is frustrating / BS - the dealer won't do a thing until Ford Corporate approves doing any work. Frustrating too on the test drive they said the sound was normal - this based on testing other cars? I guess all the labels are falling off the other cars. This 5 minute effort could have saved me a lot of grief and time and it would have been good for customer relations - service.

Sponsored

strike-eagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
Oh my god man I can't thank you enough. I had this exact problem a few weeks ago and to make things worse, it showed up on the day I was leaving for the track. I thought something was wrong with my transmission and had to abandon the weekend. I actually left home, drove 30 minutes, then turned back around. But then I found this post and sure enough the label came loose and was smacking the heat sheidling in the shifter area. Thank you so much!!!

OP
OP

vintage2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Oh my god man I can't thank you enough. I had this exact problem a few weeks ago and to make things worse, it showed up on the day I was leaving for the track. I thought something was wrong with my transmission and had to abandon the weekend. I actually left home, drove 30 minutes, then turned back around. But then I found this post and sure enough the label came loose and was smacking the heat sheidling in the shifter area. Thank you so much!!!

OP
OP

vintage2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Thanks for the note......nice to see this thread was able to help another member out. Enjoy your ride!

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
I've been getting this same ticking/tapping while driving that increases in volume with speed. I'm pretty sure its this as there aren't any transmission or drivability issues.

Interesting that all three of us have 2017s with PP.

3Gbullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
I have a stock 2017 Mustang GT PP (401A package, manual transmission) with about 7K miles on it. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas what this sound might be. I started to hear this very soft clicking/ticking fan type noise (almost like background white noise) in the cabin coming from behind the centre dash control area which becomes more audible on acceleration and at highway speeds where the car runs smoothly. If you drove around at city speeds you would not really hear anything. The same sound exists whether the HVAC/or fan system is on or off or the stereo system is on or off. Pressing on or off the gas has no impact on the sound - it is constant. The car has no squeaks or rattles and runs well.

Thanks
vintage2 I just want to say thank you, it turns out I had the exact same problem on my 2020 Bullitt and was driving me nuts. Went to the Ford dealership with your solution and an hour later the problem was fixed. much appreciated !
Sponsored