Sponsored

Fast Ticking Sound from Gear Shift Area - FIXED!!!

SrN95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 Magnetic Metallic
So glad I found this post, same issue on my 2019 GT PP1. Thanks!
Sponsored

Eddiewpb561

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang GT
Bro your a life saver! This just happen to me and I was freaking out lol

dgcomps

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT, 1966 Cobra Replica
So what if it isn't the bar code label from the driveshaft? I have the same issue with my 21 convertible. My noise starts at 25 mph and goes to about 40 mph. Speed sensitive. The faster I go, the more rapid the clicking. Nothing in the tires. Even in neutral, with and without air on. Does not appear to be coming from the engine or manual trans. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Mikeo97

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
MB
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Convertible
So what if it isn't the bar code label from the driveshaft? I have the same issue with my 21 convertible. My noise starts at 25 mph and goes to about 40 mph. Speed sensitive. The faster I go, the more rapid the clicking. Nothing in the tires. Even in neutral, with and without air on. Does not appear to be coming from the engine or manual trans. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
I have the same situation as you. I have a 21 convertible with 5K miles. Flickering noise starts at 25 mph and goes to about 40 mph. Speed sensitive as well. Peeled every sticker on the drive shaft off. I checked everywhere on the heatshield and found no hanging tape or stickers.

dgcomps

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
I have the same situation as you. I have a 21 convertible with 5K miles. Flickering noise starts at 25 mph and goes to about 40 mph. Speed sensitive as well. Peeled every sticker on the drive shaft off. I checked everywhere on the heatshield and found no hanging tape or stickers.
I had a friend go for a ride with me and he swears it's coming form the transmission underneath the center console behind the shifter. I've noticed that the noise gets louder when the car is warmer. When the car is cold, no noise for short trips to the store. This leads me to think that it might be in fact the transmission.

What I'm thinking is that when the car warms up, the trans fluid thins out allowing for wider tolerances in the gears If I went to a thicker trans fluid, the issue might go away. It's getting to the end of the driving season here, so it may have to wait until the spring giving me plenty of time to investigate transmission fluids.

Since your driving season is much greater than ours, please see if you notice the same characteristics when your car is cold and let me know.

Thanks,
Dave

Sponsored

Mikeo97

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
MB
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Convertible
I had a friend go for a ride with me and he swears it's coming form the transmission underneath the center console behind the shifter. I've noticed that the noise gets louder when the car is warmer. When the car is cold, no noise for short trips to the store. This leads me to think that it might be in fact the transmission.

What I'm thinking is that when the car warms up, the trans fluid thins out allowing for wider tolerances in the gears If I went to a thicker trans fluid, the issue might go away. It's getting to the end of the driving season here, so it may have to wait until the spring giving me plenty of time to investigate transmission fluids.

Since your driving season is much greater than ours, please see if you notice the same characteristics when your car is cold and let me know.

Thanks,
Dave
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your help. I have a flicker sound (similar to a baseball card in the spoke of a bicycle wheel) whether the car is cold or hot. The flicker starts at 20 mph and gets loud at 35 mph, then dissappears after 40mph. It sounds like a sticker or label slapping around in the driveline area directly under the arm rest. So far, I peeled the driveshaft stickers off, tightened the ebrake cable and tightened the exhaust nuts.

dgcomps

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your help. I have a flicker sound (similar to a baseball card in the spoke of a bicycle wheel) whether the car is cold or hot. The flicker starts at 20 mph and gets loud at 35 mph, then dissappears after 40mph. It sounds like a sticker or label slapping around in the driveline area directly under the arm rest. So far, I peeled the driveshaft stickers off, tightened the ebrake cable and tightened the exhaust nuts.

Hi Dave,

That's the same noise I have. I've found nothing in the TSB's or anything else on line. The last thing I want to do is go to a dealer so I'm going to try and get some of my contacts at Roush to see what they think. It may be a while.

I'll keep you informed.

Dave

dgcomps

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
That's the same noise I have. I've found nothing in the TSB's or anything else on line. The last thing I want to do is go to a dealer so I'm going to try and get some of my contacts at Roush to see what they think. It may be a while.

I'll keep you informed.

Dave
Last week, I went to the dealer to have them listen to the noise and finally put it up on the hoist with the car running. Could not hear the noise from below, but the service manager definitely heard it from inside the car. After sending the manager a complete write-up and the file you sent me, Ford has agreed to replace the transmission with no hassle.

From what I understand, Ford does not pay enough to the dealers for the techs to try and fix a warranty item like that. It's cheaper to replace it. Hopefully, it's the trans and not the rear end or another rotating device.

3pdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 mustang gt pp1, '82 f150
for no particular reason other than stickers generally help ford, not me, i peeled every sticker off that i my fingers can reach. now i have a particular reason. good thread.

themage99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Thank you all for this thread. I just purchased a 2019 Bullitt with 11,000 miles and am hearing this same exact noise. I have not gotten a chance to get under the car to take a look, but I am hoping it is simply the sticker and not something more entailed.

Dave, can you let us know if the new transmission solves the issue for you? Definitely hoping it does! Also, I’m very close to Livonia, if you’d like to recommend your dealer. This is the first Ford I’ve ever owned (love it so far) and am looking for a good Ford dealer for service and routine maintenance. Plus, the service manager would already have experience seeing this issue before, which is another bonus.

Thanks everyone, happy to be part of the Ford club!

Max

Sponsored

dgcomps

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Thank you all for this thread. I just purchased a 2019 Bullitt with 11,000 miles and am hearing this same exact noise. I have not gotten a chance to get under the car to take a look, but I am hoping it is simply the sticker and not something more entailed.

Dave, can you let us know if the new transmission solves the issue for you? Definitely hoping it does! Also, I’m very close to Livonia, if you’d like to recommend your dealer. This is the first Ford I’ve ever owned (love it so far) and am looking for a good Ford dealer for service and routine maintenance. Plus, the service manager would already have experience seeing this issue before, which is another bonus.

Max
Hello Max. I hope your problem is just the stickers. Depending on when your car was built, you might want to get an extended service contract. I've purchased three contracts online from Floyd Ford. Much less expensive.

I'm told the new trans should arrive in about 10 days, so I'll let you know how things progress. I'm dealing with the Varsity Auto Group in Wixom and in Ann Arbor because I know the owner. Having the work done in Wixom - it's closer.

themage99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the feedback Dave. Interested to see how this progresses. I went under my car myself and (unfortunately) the sticker was firmly in place. Peeled it off anyway just to be safe in case it loosened up down the road, checked the rest of the driveshaft, nothing looked out of place at all. Still getting that ticking sound between 25mph and 40mph, really prominent at about 33mph. Even after switching over to my winter tires/wheels, the ticking is still there. Eliminates the tires/wheels as being the culprit.

I'm still under the 3 year/36,000 mile original bumper to bumper warranty until next April (made sure of that before I purchased the car) and will definitely get an extended service contract through Ford. Taking my car to the dealer in a couple weeks for this and the "clutch grind" when slowly releasing the clutch above 4,000 RPM.

themage99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Vehicle(s)
Hey @dgcomps , just want to follow up with this thread. Did you ever get your new transmission installed? Did it solve the problem? My car is at the dealer now and they are going through the same process of trying to figure out what is wrong. Just as you mentioned, it's not really noticeable underneath the car when on a hoist, but it is very clearly heard in the cabin on the road.

dgcomps

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Hey @dgcomps , just want to follow up with this thread. Did you ever get your new transmission installed? Did it solve the problem? My car is at the dealer now and they are going through the same process of trying to figure out what is wrong. Just as you mentioned, it's not really noticeable underneath the car when on a hoist, but it is very clearly heard in the cabin on the road.
Good morning Max. My car is scheduled at the dealer for January 3rd. Couldn't get it in sooner. I'll have it towed in due to weather.

Dave

dgcomps

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)

Max
Sorry it took so long to write back.
Just before Christmas, the dealer called to see if I could get the car in for a day to swap out the trans and of course I said "you bet".

Once I picked the car up and drove it home, if I really listened hard I could barely hear a slight ticking. I would say that it is 98% quieter. The car is now in storage for the season.

Max, I talked to the dealer about your car since you're in Michigan. What they said was that since my car had just turned one year old and with just over 3000 miles, is what justified Ford replacing the transmission. Their suggestion to you would be since the car is older and still under warranty that you take it to a local Ford dealer on your side of town like Roy O'Brien. Ford will probably pay to have the transmission inspected and repaired under warranty.
Sponsored