Sponsored

Metallic ticking sound coming from C Pillar

svis326

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Has anybody encountered this issue? I've done a lot of digging on older threads and nothing has seemed to work. The sound sounds like it is coming from the passenger side C pillar on slight bumps. The best was to describe the sound is a metallic tick/crackle. I want to say it is either the air bag frame hitting the car frame or maybe the seatbelt receptacle?

I've already brought the car into the dealership twice and of course they don't have the time to isolate and resolve the issue (AKA no problem found). Any help would be greatly appreciated. The sound is driving me insane.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I can’t find the older threads - but there was a member who removed the C-pillar plastics (large interior panel and the smaller panel that extends off the main panel along the rear glass) and found that there is a tether between the plastic and the metal which is tied to the airbag. The tether is to keep the C-pillar plastic from flying off when the airbag is deployed.

The tether is rapping against the metal. There’s also some harness there too, which could be loose.

You’ll have to remove the panel and either zip tie back anything that is loose or as others have done, added felt or material between the C-pillar plastic and be metal interior wall.

Th member who posted about it had actual pics so everyone could see what is behind the plastic panels and how he remedied the issue. I believe the post was in this subforum too...

OP
OP

svis326

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I can’t find the older threads - but there was a member who removed the C-pillar plastics (large interior panel and the smaller panel that extends off the main panel along the rear glass) and found that there is a tether between the plastic and the metal which is tied to the airbag. The tether is to keep the C-pillar plastic from flying off when the airbag is deployed.

The tether is rapping against the metal. There’s also some harness there too, which could be loose.

You’ll have to remove the panel and either zip tie back anything that is loose or as others have done, added felt or material between the C-pillar plastic and be metal interior wall.

Th member who posted about it had actual pics so everyone could see what is behind the plastic panels and how he remedied the issue. I believe the post was in this subforum too...
Thank you Cobra. I know exactly what you are talking about regarding the plastic tether. This sounds like a tricky thing to remedy since I don't want to start my morning with an airbag exploding in my face. Hopefully I can dig something up.

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
please report back if that solves it. I noticed the same thing but its not all the time so I just shrugged it off.

Sponsored

OP
OP

svis326

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Just an update. My passenger side rocker panel fell off for the third time and the car is back at the dealer. They are looking at the trunk area for the ticking sound. I already felted the electric receptacle behind the passenger quarter panel (thank's cobra for the write up). Ford quality is absolutely horrendous. I went from a 2016 with a driveshaft/differential failure and I feel l like I'm back at square one.

OP
OP

svis326

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Just to update everyone, the ticking noise was coming from the package tray in the trunk. I was told they adjusted the seams which caused the noise to cease. I asked where exactly the tray is and I was told it's near the rear speakers. So far no issues.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Just to update everyone, the ticking noise was coming from the package tray in the trunk. I was told they adjusted the seams which caused the noise to cease. I asked where exactly the tray is and I was told it's near the rear speakers. So far no issues.
Good news!

The “package tray” is the rear shelf in the car. The section of metal that spans between the L and R c-pillars; speakers are attached to it and the carpet overlays it.

Sounds like there was some gap between the points where it’s near the c-pillars and they probably used some seam sealer to bridge the gaps.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
Good news!

The “package tray” is the rear shelf in the car. The section of metal that spans between the L and R c-pillars; speakers are attached to it and the carpet overlays it.

Sounds like there was some gap between the points where it’s near the c-pillars and they probably used some seam sealer to bridge the gaps.
@Cobra Jet can you please take a picture of this if possible? I believe my GT is doing the same and want to take care of it as well.

Thanks!
Sponsored