Sponsored

Fast Ticking Sound from Gear Shift Area - FIXED!!!

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
It looks like I might be a new member to the club of driveshaft ticking fans. I have just posted the full story here: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/driveshaft-ticking-in-mach-1.188192/
but the symptoms are scaringly similar:

The ticking starts from ~31 mph, can be heard up to ~44 mph then it is undecidable.
Best heard in the 3rd or the 4th gear (where the engine RPM is relatively low and quiet).
(I have 1:3.55 LSD so my ground speed could differ slightly from the US versions with different diff ratios).

Now, after reading the thread I believe I noticed increased vibrations in the shifter as well but so far did not connect them to the ticking sound. I plan to check the driveshaft for the loose sticker, but the perceived vibrations tell me I am going to see the dealer pretty soon.
Sponsored

hoteldelta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium PP2
Update on my ticking issue. After 1 day, the dealer decided the culprit was my transmission so it was replaced under the factory warranty šŸ˜Ž. Immediately after picking it up I noticed the sound was still there but the vibration was actually WORSE all the way up to 80mph. Back to the dealer it went. A few hours later they called to say they could not replicate the issue. Slightly frustrated, I drove to the dealer and said I needed to have a tech go for a ride with me to show them the problem still existed. Reluctantly a tech went with me and tried to say it sounded exhaust related šŸ˜. All I could do was ask nicely that they at least give the driveshaft a look. The tech assured me it was absolutely not the DS however. I left the car and an hour later I had a message that a new DS was on order. Iā€™ve had it back for a week now and put roughly 700 miles on it and Iā€™m happy to say the problem is completely gone. The dealer attributed it to a bad carrier bearing. Go figureā€¦.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Update on my ticking issue. After 1 day, the dealer decided the culprit was my transmission so it was replaced under the factory warranty šŸ˜Ž. Immediately after picking it up I noticed the sound was still there but the vibration was actually WORSE all the way up to 80mph. Back to the dealer it went. A few hours later they called to say they could not replicate the issue. Slightly frustrated, I drove to the dealer and said I needed to have a tech go for a ride with me to show them the problem still existed. Reluctantly a tech went with me and tried to say it sounded exhaust related šŸ˜. All I could do was ask nicely that they at least give the driveshaft a look. The tech assured me it was absolutely not the DS however. I left the car and an hour later I had a message that a new DS was on order. Iā€™ve had it back for a week now and put roughly 700 miles on it and Iā€™m happy to say the problem is completely gone. The dealer attributed it to a bad carrier bearing. Go figureā€¦.
probably the 2 cent rivets on the carrier bearing cover which I fixed with tape. Sucks that youā€™ve probably been without your car for weeks or months, but glad its fixed.

fwiw, I disassembled my entire interior tracking that noise down to discover it wasnt from inside the car. I assumed any small rattle would be interior related, beinga Ford afterall.
Sponsored