Sponsored

Factory theft resistance?

LikeMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Literally not one single post here answered my question, and several go down a road I don't need help understanding (tow-offs, stolen keys, fraud, kill switches, parking in a garage).

My question is how the factory theft-resistance system works, specifically, from a technical standpoint. No other replies are needed that do not cover this topic.

Thanks.
To kind of revive and put closer on this, no one involved in Ford's cyber security will post anything publicly. Ford will only release gross details to the public as advertisement. Unfortunately that's the most you'll get. Based on documents Ford is required to submit to the government (or hasn't), the keyless entry system in the US is most likely no different hardware wise than it was almost a decade ago. As in your mustang is likely just as susceptible to RF based theft like all other ford vehicles with the added disadvantage of not having secure code. Potentially the OEM FOB could have some timeout/motion security. Nevertheless there is a reason why Ford has just NOW said they will do something, and it's a method I'd consider cheap.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...l-make-stealing-cars-a-lot-harder-188742.html

Having looked on the dark web, while I cant post content here, there is much more money in drugs, financial fraud, etc. then trying to crack some unknown security measure that potentially exists on mustangs. Most thieves will just use the products (both hardware and software) already easily available on eBay being manufactured in China and East Europe. Which includes legitimate locksmith tools.

The US has the benefit that the thieves here are far less intelligent than the ones making "Zero day" devices, nor do we have the capacity to manufacture them. HOWEVER, when hacks are "commercialized", and sold they can quickly become problems. CAN Injection devices is an emerging theft whose software was designed for Toyota vehicles as the product was designed by Japanese thieves. It has since spread to East Europe, then the UK, Canada, and eventually the US is next. Based on how it works it is likely that this is a vulnerability on the mustang, as its headlights I believe are connected directly to the CAN bus system that is not isolated from the immobilizer. Id assume the same signal is needed for all mustangs from 2015-2023+. Same with OBD2, if accessible keys will be made, less than 5 minutes.

That being said your best bet is first just having proper insurance. Given enough time, any measure available can be defeated.

from my own research/experience these tools are the market leaders and my be helpful

Wheels: Advanced wheel locks, 2 locks per wheel minimum
Steering Wheel: Stoplock Pro Elite or Disklok
Kill Switch: Ravelco, more of a puzzled plug than switch, claims ZERO records of theft, $600
OBD2 Lock: Mitico (significantly overpriced), you can hide locked OBD2 behind dummy OBD2
Key FOB: Most RF cages are junk as to actually work effectively there cant be a "seam/lid", or at least there needs to be sufficient metal on metal. Buy two decent ones, put one in another.

What I like about all these is that they are passive, there are other devices like tilt monitors, battery switches, etc but most are junk that do nothing but kill batteries. You may still find them useful.

In the end though a car can get hooked and taken in 20 seconds or less. You can track it if you want. Some dealers already sell their cars with a GPS/remote kill switch unknowing to buyers. I recommend putting an airtag in the car, first remove its little speaker, and hide it well. 50% chance the thief has an iphone and will try to get it to ring. If they find it and continue on, oh well, you will have a secondary tag, a Tile, that is designed specifically to not ring or notify. Ultimately recovery will be at the mercy of the police. I've seen them know the location of stolen goods and do absolutely nothing.

Hope this answers your question, have to accept you wont get much outside of what Ford releases, not even Ford employees will know exactly what anti-theft measures are in place, if any lol.
Sponsored

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
IMO, the only thing that might work is one of those big steering wheel locks like the old Club. It's obvious from the outside and hopefully enough of an aggravation to prompt the thief to just move on.
Or it prompts the thief to hammer hard enough on the rim of the wheel to bend / break it, allowing the device to be removed. Ask me how I know (granted, from 43 years ago on a Corvette without an air bag).

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
If you reach into the interior the alarm goes off and if you use the ford app. You ll get a message on your phone. Same if someone tries to tow it as soon at they start lifting either end the alarm goes off and message on phone.
If it is moved you ll get a message .

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Yup, 100% on The Club. It's very OLD SKOOL tech, and it can be defeated (yes, I've seen the hack saw videos), but in general, it makes it annoying enough to move on to another target. Unless they knew to bring a hack saw, which they probably didn't.

My only concern w/ The Club on the car is damaging the leather on the wheel... On my truck I use a towel between the club and the wheel, but it's a hard plastic wheel (STX truck). I don't want to damage the leather on the Mustang's wheel... Thoughts?
Since this thread is making a comeback I figured I'd update this. 91k miles now and still using the club. I'm driving in between 5 job sites right now so it goes on and off multiple times every day. My elbow has worn a hole in the armrest, my seat has a hole from getting in and out so much and my motor needs replaced but my steering wheel still looks good. No damage from the club! :cwl:

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
IMO, the only thing that might work is one of those big steering wheel locks like the old Club. It's obvious from the outside and hopefully enough of an aggravation to prompt the thief to just move on.
Are you serious? The news stations all demonstrated that a hacksaw easily defeated The Club like 30 years ago. Cut steering wheel near where Club sits, slide Club off.

Things the makers of The Club don't want you to know about I guess.

Sponsored

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Hundreds of thousands of miles without the club, no stolen cars to date.
Me too! And only one break-in, not the Mustang. Stupid kids broke a window and stole a CD and $15 in change but ignored the $250 sunglasses...
They were caught about a week later.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Hundreds of thousands of miles without the club, no stolen cars to date.
Yeah me too. Although I've caught a few people trying. Only on my cars without clubs though. Maybe you will, maybe you won't. Maybe you will with a club and maybe you won't. I think the club is more effective on new cars than on old cars. If someone wants your old car then they already showed up ready to crack your column or pick the lock so they have tools on them. New car thieves show up ready to boost your fob's signal with a scanner. There is always an easier target if your car is clubbed. And new car thieves usually aren't prepared.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Yeah me too. Although I've caught a few people trying.
Are you trying to say that you've "caught a few people trying" to steal your car(s)?

Like, multiple times???

CrazyHippie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion Hybrid
How resistant are these cars to theft attempts? Please hold off on the "if anyone really wants your car they can find a way" posts. Thanks. I hear you. Move along. That is not the topic of this post. We know that. Thanks Einstein.

Now, someone who actually knows how the theft prevention in these cars works and its effectiveness, please speak up and let us know! One thing I am glad about is that I park my car in the garage at night, because I do know that one theft method is to essentially boost the key fob signal (the fob located inside your house) and instantly start the vehicle. I've seen it done w/ Ford Super Duty trucks w/ push-button start.

So let's leave that one out of the equation. If I park the car outside, within signal range, I'll put the key fob into a metal safe, so that method won't work. So again, not concerned w/ that method of theft. What about others? Assume they have no key fob and no way to "boost" your key fob's signal from a distance. How easy can they be started?

Another method seen in Europe is they plug a 'device' into the OBD2 port which essentially reprograms the car's security and then starts the engine. This takes about 2-3 minutes from what I've read. I believe that this method has been used a lot more in the U.S. than we are actually aware of. On my F150, I have a metal lock over the OBD2 port to slow down any thief trying to use this method to start it. Wonder if this method works on the Mustang? Maybe I need to order a locking plate for it as well... ?

Thanks for any helpful information. Again, please no 'if they really want it they can find a way...' posts. We know. Thank you kind genius, sir. Let's move on to the actual topic.
With all due respect, a conversation that publically runs through all of the factory anti-theft features in detail simply exposes all of us to those out there who may be interested in defeating them to steal a car. I'd kill this thread.

Sponsored

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
With all due respect, a conversation that publically runs through all of the factory anti-theft features in detail simply exposes all of us to those out there who may be interested in defeating them to steal a car. I'd kill this thread.
Security by obscurity is only the illusion of security.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
...In the USA.

As a deterrent, it's pretty useless elsewhere in the world. 😜
It's not really that much of a deterrent here either. About the level of The Club from before.
If someone has the equipment to defeat the "lock" you can bet the third pedal won't slow them down or confuse them.
In fact it's probably easier to take than an automatic. Push that stick to the middle and it doesn't even make noise when it's pulled up on the roll back...

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Great discussion underway! Thanks guys!

The more we know, the safer we can be, for those of us not in the 'I don't care if it gets stolen, that's what insurance is for' camp. Anyone who has been through that would not wish it on themselves or anyone else. You will never get YOUR car back, and if you're lucky, you get enough moeny to buy some used auction car that more or less matches the specs, but for which you have no background or knowledge of maintenance or how it was driven.

Currently these are my thoughts:
1) I'll be putting an OBD2 port lock on this one as I did my truck. (This also protects your tune from dealer tampering, BTW, and prevents them from even scanning your car w/o your permission)
2) Good info about the 'enhanced' security system on the car. One thing 'enhanced' about it is that even inside the garage, it'll go off with the neighbor's Harley goes by... Yay.
3) Yes, I park/store it in the garage. But cars don't belong in garages, and they go places. This car is my road trip car... it'll be sitting in hotel lots, among other places
4) Regarding #3, I'll be getting an RF-proof box to put the keyfob in when staying at a hotel, since the room is often within range of the car.................

Looking for other thoughts. Not sure I want to do a kill switch just yet, since I don't frequently park in high-risk area. If that changes, I'll add one. At the moment I'm a bit leery about having anyone dig into the wiring on a brand new car.
Those that know are not going to post it on a forum as you never know who is reading or asking for that matter.
Most of today's car theft rings use 3 flavors of theft.
1) the electronic repeater that makes the car think the person has the key
2) They break into a car dealership and steal keys or have a tech in the service side that codes a key for the car when in for service and they go get it later.
3) the repo man snatch and grab tow rig set up.
No one questions a car alarm going off and haven't in 25 years, Only your closest friends will question a repo type rig towing your car away everyone else will thing it was just a repo.

Other than owning a vehicle no one else would want, don't worry about it.
Yes it sucks when your car goes missing, been there twice, it is no fun, but you can't do much about it.
Sponsored