Factory theft resistance?

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I still don't understand the OP wanting to know how the OEM security system works?

What's the point OP? What difference will that knowledge make for you?

I can understand asking for additional security ideas, but not asking how the OEM security system works.
Sponsored

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
A friend of mine also lives in Houston and had his truck broken-into so many times that he just stopped locking it.

How about a post-it note on the driver's door that reads "out of gas, back soon"?

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
How about a post-it note on the driver's door that reads "out of gas, back soon"?
This reminds me of an old joke. A guy was getting fed up with having his car broken in and his stereo stolen. So one day he stuck a note on the car that read, "this car doesn't have a stereo". The next day his car is missing, and in its place he finds a note, "that's OK, we'll install one". 😁

OP
OP
ZeroTX

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
well my alarm tripped yesterday under real world conditions! I was driving home with windows open and a large bumble bee flew into the stang. It was trying to get out the back window and kept crawling on the rear deck while I was driving. I was hoping it would find a way out. When I got home I couldn't find it. I assumed it flew out on its own. I even kept the windows down for an hour just to be sure. I eventually closed the windows and locked up the car for the night. About an hour later my alarm goes off and the Ford App sends me an alert. Apparently the bee was hiding on me and set off the alarm :cwl: At least i know it works. The bee was released unharmed to carry on....
Wow!!! Hahha

OP
OP
ZeroTX

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Not going to lie, I did a bit of research on OBD2 port locks when I bought my Bronco (first keyless push button start vehicle I owned other than my Ducati Multistrada lol)..

From what I can tell, they're no more effective than "security" screws manufacturers use to try and stop people from repairing their electronics; they only work if someone doesn't know how to remove them. In most cases, they're simply a socket with some pins in the lip it to engage the holes in the flush covers for the bolts.

For now they're obscure/rare enough they would likely thwart a clueless thief, but from what I can tell, all you would need to use to remove the covers is:

1652285961121.png
True for any anti-theft method. The idea is to slow them down. If your car has a lock over the OBD2 port (and this is the method they intended to use to start it up), they are more likely to go to another car. Of course, there's also they risk they break your car even worse trying to get through the anti-theft mechanisms. Here's where maybe a hidden and totally random kill switch is superior. Since mine is a manual, has no remote-start feature nor need, a hidden kill switch is feasible. Probably kill the fuel pump, so f'er can start it up, but by the time he starts to try to move, it'll die ;)

Sponsored

OP
OP
ZeroTX

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I still don't understand the OP wanting to know how the OEM security system works?

What's the point OP? What difference will that knowledge make for you?

I can understand asking for additional security ideas, but not asking how the OEM security system works.
To ascertain if it's even effective at all? .... They could literally make all cars theft-proof with NFC encryption keys, but they cannot, due to federal regulations making OBD2 data mandatorily non-encrypted. Did you know that? If not, your reply is unnecessary in a post requesting technically valid info.

Fedj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1986 SVO, 1995 Mstng GT, 2020 Edge ST, 22 Mstng GT
FWIW. I am not an expert, so if i say something inaccurate here please feel free to correct me. I have a 2022 manual with the enhanced security package. I keep my key in a faraday box at home. I also turned off the intelligent access feature for touching the door handle to unlock and lock it.

My understanding is that the keys have two separate security systems. 1 is the relatively short range passive transponder which intelligent access antenna's and the ignition button communicate with to lock, unlock and start the vehicle. The second is the active Keyless entry signal that unlocks and locks the vehicle at range when you push button on the key fob but has nothing to do with starting the car.

My rational is that if someone uses a relay device for the passive signal with intelligent access disabled the car will not open. If they are unable to relay the passive signal and gain entry through intelligent access then they would have to force entry which would set the alarm off and send a push notification to me via ford pass. If someone is able to gain entry with a break in stick(without setting the alarm off opening the door or by the motion sensor), or by capturing my active fob unlock signal, and managed to also clone my passive signal for the start button, i guess I am just screwed.

So the short and sweet is. If you want to significantly enhance the security of your mustang, turn off intelligent access and remember to lock it. Like lots of people have said. if they want it they will get it. simple things like this make it a lot more secure, and from there more secure means more inconvenience to you. hidden kill switches, anti-theft tune, the club on the steering wheel, obd port blockers, battery cut off switches... i'm sure on a level all of it makes it harder to steal but not impossible, and then the wheel lift tow truck grabs it by the rear tires and wins. 🤷‍♂️

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Well.......I'm pretty sure the factory isn't out to steal our cars back.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Great discussion underway! Thanks guys!

The more we know, the safer we can be, for those of us not in the 'I don't care if it gets stolen, that's what insurance is for' camp. Anyone who has been through that would not wish it on themselves or anyone else. You will never get YOUR car back, and if you're lucky, you get enough moeny to buy some used auction car that more or less matches the specs, but for which you have no background or knowledge of maintenance or how it was driven.

Currently these are my thoughts:
1) I'll be putting an OBD2 port lock on this one as I did my truck. (This also protects your tune from dealer tampering, BTW, and prevents them from even scanning your car w/o your permission)
2) Good info about the 'enhanced' security system on the car. One thing 'enhanced' about it is that even inside the garage, it'll go off with the neighbor's Harley goes by... Yay.
3) Yes, I park/store it in the garage. But cars don't belong in garages, and they go places. This car is my road trip car... it'll be sitting in hotel lots, among other places
4) Regarding #3, I'll be getting an RF-proof box to put the keyfob in when staying at a hotel, since the room is often within range of the car.................

Looking for other thoughts. Not sure I want to do a kill switch just yet, since I don't frequently park in high-risk area. If that changes, I'll add one. At the moment I'm a bit leery about having anyone dig into the wiring on a brand new car.
BTW, you don’t need anything fancy to RF proof your keyfob. You can simply use aluminum foil. Just don’t get it confused with the takeout dinner packaging and throw it in the trash…..mistakenly.

Fedj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
BTW, you don’t need anything fancy to RF proof your keyfob. You can simply use aluminum foil. Just don’t get it confused with the takeout dinner packaging and throw it in the trash…..mistakenly.
yep, I have done that.

Sponsored

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase

ee.jpg

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Now, someone who actually knows how the theft prevention in these cars works and its effectiveness, please speak up
Unique encrypted RF frequencies between the BCM & FOB IIRC. Nothing prevents somebody from capturing that frequency however.

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
My rational is that if someone uses a relay device for the passive signal with intelligent access disabled the car will not open. If they are unable to relay the passive signal and gain entry through intelligent access then they would have to force entry which would set the alarm off and send a push notification to me via ford pass. If someone is able to gain entry with a break in stick(without setting the alarm off opening the door or by the motion sensor), or by capturing my active fob unlock signal, and managed to also clone my passive signal for the start button, i guess I am just screwed.
The keys have a microprocessor inside and they respond to a challenge sent by the car. That's why keys needs to be paired with a diagnostic tool (or manually by the owner but that requires both original keys). Both car and keys need to share the same key material.
When you put the hand on the handle the car tries to wake the key and obtain the response. It's not that the key is broadcasting forever, it only responds to the car request.

The internals of the system and it's resistance is unique to vulnerabilities in the protocol and length of the key.
Both of which we don't know, but for sure you just don't replay the signal, there's and handshake involved.

Fedj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
The keys have a microprocessor inside and they respond to a challenge sent by the car. That's why keys needs to be paired with a diagnostic tool (or manually by the owner but that requires both original keys). Both car and keys need to share the same key material.
When you put the hand on the handle the car tries to wake the key and obtain the response. It's not that the key is broadcasting forever, it only responds to the car request.

The internals of the system and it's resistance is unique to vulnerabilities in the protocol and length of the key.
Both of which we don't know, but for sure you just don't replay the signal, there's and handshake involved.
That makes sense. I saw a video of some news reporters demonstrating stealing an edge with a system that had two devices one held by the guy at the car handle and the other by the partner who walked up behind the owner as she walked away from the car. The handshake must have been done through the devices the thieves had, and from a reasonable distance away from the vehicle. At the end of the day however it works.... I decided that the convivence intelligent access, is not worth the vulnerability to me. Not to mention its annoying as hell having the car lock and unlock it's self when you hand wash it.

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
At the end of the day however it works.... I decided that the convivence intelligent access, is not worth the vulnerability to me. Not to mention its annoying as hell having the car lock and unlock it's self when you hand wash it.
The relay attack only works if one the thieves is in close proximity to you because at the end of the day it's the access to the key material that counts and that doesn't escape the car keys micro.
I think in real life is very rare, but I understand your point.
For the annoyance when washing just put the key inside the car and it will not lock by itself, that's how I do.

I didn't find a way on Fords but on Mercedes you can shut down the hey by tapping two times on the close button and that shuts down the key until you press one of the buttons again.
It someone knows a way of conveniently shutting down keyless Ford keys wins a prize...
Sponsored