Experience with Motor Mount Replacement

Ecto1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
For those who have replaced their mounts how hard is it to remove them? And how do I "support the engine" while trying to remove/install them?

Thx.
Sponsored

Texstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EB Premium PP 6MT
I haven't had any experience replacing them on my own, but I found the official Ford procedure for both driver and passenger side mounts that suggests using an engine support bar that you place across the top of the motor similar to a strut tower brace. I think you could probably achieve the same by supporting the engine with an engine crane as long as you have the lifting brackets. I don't know about supporting it from the bottom. It would probably work but you'd probably have to be careful where you support it. Hopefully this helps.

Attachments

mustang_puppy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Vehicle(s)
2015 black Ecoboost fastback
I did mine using Steeda's procedure which has you unbolt the transmission mount and use a jack to lift up the engine from there. It only has a few inches of space to lift up but it's sufficient. The passenger's side is way easier than the driver's side which has basically no space to work. Might need to remove the oil filter and hopefully you have some swivels and extensions with which to unbolt and tighten the driver's side bracket as well. I'd suggest professional installation if you don't do your own work. One of the harder things to modify. Not impossible, just time consuming.

OP
OP
Ecto1

Ecto1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Thanks. I emailed Steeda and they recommend an 'engine support' bar. They suggested Harbor Freight as a source. I've never used one before so I'm a little warry.

Where did you find the info from Steeda on using a jack under the trans(?). I assumed that I'd need to loosen the trans supports and use a jack under the engine but the trans pan is aluminum and that just seems wrong. Never thought about putting a jack under the trans. But again where? The trans pan is the wrong spot. Or do I need a trans jack?

Thx.

mustang_puppy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Vehicle(s)
Step 4 of Steeda's instructions says quote "Place a jack underneath the engine to support it, and to raise it when necessary." While I didn't necessarily mean place the jack right beneath the transmission, a good place might be to place the jack where the engine and transmission bolt together with a small block of wood or something like that. I did the work on jack stands. I suppose you could use a trans jack if you do the work with a lift. Be aware that initially there will be a lot of vibration and noise that will dissipate with time as the pucks break in. The noise level is acceptable at this point, around 9 months after installing the mounts.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ecto1

Ecto1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Step 4 of Steeda's instructions says quote "Place a jack underneath the engine to support it, and to raise it when necessary." While I didn't necessarily mean place the jack right beneath the transmission, a good place might be to place the jack where the engine and transmission bolt together with a small block of wood or something like that. I did the work on jack stands. I suppose you could use a trans jack if you do the work with a lift. Be aware that initially there will be a lot of vibration and noise that will dissipate with time as the pucks break in. The noise level is acceptable at this point, around 9 months after installing the mounts.
So did you place the block of wood under the oil pan? Or somewhere on the engine block? If I try this I want to make sure I don't damage any of the aluminum parts.

Also, where on earth do you put jack stands under the car? I can't fit a jack & jack stand @ the pinch weld under the rocker panels and I don't see anywhere under the car for stands. The guys at the Ford service dept tell me NOT to put them under the front or rear suspension members, the engine subframe, or the differential. That only leaves the floor pans or the pinch welds. I don't think the floor pans will support the weight of the car.

Thx.

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
I use the pinch welds only, weather I'm using my scissor lift or Jacks. I place the jackstands under the car, wherever I'm working for my safety, not to support the car.

Screenshot_2021-05-24-08-34-50.png

OP
OP
Ecto1

Ecto1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
I use the pinch welds only, weather I'm using my scissor lift or Jacks. I place the jackstands under the car, wherever I'm working for my safety, not to support the car.

Screenshot_2021-05-24-08-34-50.png
I also want to use stands for safety whenever I'm under the car but I want to put the weight of the car on the stands and take the weight off the scissor jack. I can't figure out any way to fit both a jack & jack stand under the pinch welds. Wish I had a lift like yours but I'm just a peasant.

Perhaps the only option are ramps. Haven't explored this option yet.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Also, where on earth do you put jack stands under the car? I can't fit a jack & jack stand @ the pinch weld under the rocker panels and I don't see anywhere under the car for stands. The guys at the Ford service dept tell me NOT to put them under the front or rear suspension members, the engine subframe, or the differential. That only leaves the floor pans or the pinch welds. I don't think the floor pans will support the weight of the car.

Thx.
This is why jacking rails are so common. They really do make life a lot easier.

Logan@Lethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Logan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 3.0L Whipple
You use an engine support bar that connects between two engine strut towers and holds the motor up. There are other ways to do this.. like supporting from the balancer or an engine hoist that wraps around the manifold section (but using the bottom of the engine so it isn't depending on just the exhaust).

Sponsored

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
I also want to use stands for safety whenever I'm under the car but I want to put the weight of the car on the stands and take the weight off the scissor jack. I can't figure out any way to fit both a jack & jack stand under the pinch welds. Wish I had a lift like yours but I'm just a peasant.

Perhaps the only option are ramps. Haven't explored this option yet.
Ramps are a good option (I carry a set to the track)! I still drag a jackstand under the car with me, just in case.

mustang_puppy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Vehicle(s)
So did you place the block of wood under the oil pan? Or somewhere on the engine block? If I try this I want to make sure I don't damage any of the aluminum parts.

Thx.
Like others I've got jacking rails installed so no need to worry about pinch welds. I put the wood block on the jack at the bellhousing, where the engine and transmission are bolted together. Ramps sound like a good option, except my front end is lowered and I've got a chin splitter which could scrape on ramps.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Ramps are a good option (I carry a set to the track)! I still drag a jackstand under the car with me, just in case.
I don't use jackstands with ramps, but I always use a wheel chock. Don't just trust the E-brake.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I used a scissor jack with a tree jack stand on top of it and a phonebook placed between the tree jack stand and the transmission to lift my engine for the header/motor mount installation.

1636167253132.jpeg

OP
OP
Ecto1

Ecto1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
I used a scissor jack with a tree jack stand on top of it and a phonebook placed between the tree jack stand and the transmission to lift my engine for the header/motor mount installation.

1636167253132.jpeg
Wow! that's quite a contraption. I have a hydraulic scissor jack that I think I can place under the bell housing if that's the best place to lift. I'll have to make a platform out of some 2x4s to support the scissor jack though.

Now I guess I'll have to research 'jacking rails'. Never heard of them before.

Thx everyone.
Sponsored